Author Topic: The Shadow  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Palustris

The Shadow
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »
Prequel

John Clothman was a Draper. He claimed that he was not just any Draper, but the finest in the land. He boasted that he was able to supply any cloth that a customer wanted.  From the finest silks to the coarsest wool John Clothman would supply it. Even so he was rather surprised and extremely worried when he was visited by The Witch of the Dark Forest.

She gave him a piece of cloth. “I want you to find some more of this.” she said.

John took the cloth. He rubbed it between his fingers. He smelt it. He tried to tear off a piece. Finally he took it over to the window and held it up to the light. He shook his head and turned to the Witch.  “This is the strangest cloth I have ever seen. The weave is finer than the finest silk, it has no smell, no taste and I am not even sure what colour it is. It is not black, or grey or dark brown or Midnight blue, but possibly all of them at the same time. I thought I knew cloth, but I have never seen anything like this before. Are you sure that there is more of it?”

“Oh yes,” the Witch replied. “I am certain that there is at least one roll of it somewhere.”

“Well, said John Clothman. “Any information you can give would be a help.”

The Witch sniffed. “I really want this cloth. Many years ago there was another Witch of the Dark Forest. She was a bad Witch.”

John interrupted. “I thought all the Dark Forest Witches were bad.”

The Witch scowled and John stepped back hastily.

“No, replied the Witch.” We are all wicked, or so you people say, but Magalan was a bad Witch as well.”

The Witch hesitated, “I am about to tell you things which no one other than a Witch ought to know. If you repeat them outside this room I will be very angry and you would not like that.”

John smiled nervously and licked his lips. “All trades have their secrets, he said.” I am sure that I can keep from telling yours to anyone else.”

The Witch took a deep breath,” Every Witch keeps a Diary. In it she writes everything she does, every Potion she makes and every Spell she casts, how they were made and how well they worked. Everything is there in the Diary. The Diary stays in the Witches Cottage and becomes the property of the next Witch. “

She looked at the expression on John’s face. “And don’t even think about going and trying to read them, only the next Witch can do that.  Magalan, as I said, was a bad Witch, she did not keep the Diary up to date. All I can find out is that she was given a piece by a Merchant who wanted her help. Something happened to her before the cloth was delivered and there is nothing written about whom the Merchant was or where he lived. I want you to find out and get that cloth for me.”

John shook his head, “It won’t be easy, but I will do my best. If the cloth still exists then it will be stuck in someone’s store room somewhere. If it had been made into clothes then I would have heard about it.”

His face took on a crafty look.” Mind it is not going to be cheap to find and no one is going to sell a cloth like this for pennies.”

The Witch took out a purse and put it on the table. “I am sure that there is enough gold in there to pay for any amount of searching and when you find the cloth I will give you double what you paid for it.”

“I will do my best,” said John.

“I am sure you will, “said the witch. “Everyone does their best for the Witch of the Dark Forest.

At the beginning of the next month the Witch came to see the Draper. He had no news for her. Nor did he have any news the month after that or the next month either. However, the next time the Witch called, Mr Clothman handed her a parcel. She opened it. Inside was a roll of the material.

“Sorry it has taken so long, but the man who had it seems to have died rather suddenly, for no apparent reason. He did not make a will and so there has been a long battle over who gets what. His warehouse was locked up and no one went in until a few weeks ago. The new owners are not Drapers and wanted to get rid of the cloth in there. I was lucky that one of my agents was in the town at the right time. He knew I would be interested in buying up all the cloth. I hurried over and got everything for a good price. I was as surprised as anything when I found the material you were looking for. That is all that was there though.”

The witch had opened the parcel and unrolled the material.

“This is the right stuff,” she said. “There should be enough here for a dress.”

“I can recommend Mrs Diamond across the Square,” said John. “She is supposed to be the best dressmaker in the Seven Kingdoms.”

The Witch nodded. “So I heard. Now how much do I owe you?”

John Clothman was an honest man, especially when dealing with Witches. “I still have some of the gold left from the purse you gave me to look and the cloth did not cost me that much. “

“Good,” said the Witch. “Keep what is left, there is a lot more where that came from.”

John scratched his head and looked a bit embarrassed. “I am sorry there is not a full roll, but I think it may have just been a sample, sent out as weavers sometimes do to show what they can make to customers. The Merchant was a bit like that Magalan witch of yours, he did not keep very good records. But looking at what little he did put on paper, I get the impression there was another full roll of the cloth somewhere. Do you want me to keep on looking? But I will confess that I have no idea where it is or where to start looking.”

The Witch thought for a few moments. “No, this piece will do for now.”

John Clothman bowed her out of his house and gave a sigh of relief. Dealing with Witches was not something he wanted to do ever again.

Offline Palustris

Re: The Shadow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »

Prequel 2

In one corner of the Royal Castle was a tall tower. At the very top of the tower was a single room. The only door into the tower was locked and no-one could ever remember it being unlocked. The Castle guards walked around the battlements at night and faithfully tried the door to make sure. This duty they carried out every night without fail and never asked why they did it.

When Private Gwilliam did not re-appear from his march round the battlements, Sergeant Bothy went to look for him, promising punishment if the guard was not doing his duty properly. He found the poor guard huddled in a corner near to the Tower, unable to speak and shaking with fear.

Sergeant Bothy blew his whistle which brought all the other guards running to deal with the emergency. They searched the battlements and found nothing, that is until one of them realised that the door to the Tower was open. They brought torches and carefully went inside. The dust was thick on the steps except where a set of small footprints came down.

A guard was sent for Captain Smike. He came and climbed the stairs, being very careful not to tread on the small footprints. The door into room at the top was open. Gingerly Captain Smike went in. The room was empty of all furniture except for a tall mirror stand. The mirror itself was smashed into pieces and the glass spread across the floor. The footprints began in the middle of the glass.

Carefully the Captain closed the door and went down the stairs. He closed the Tower door. Poor Private Gwilliam was carried down to the guard room He was still shaking and the only word they could get out of him was. “The shade, the shade”

Early next morning Captain Smike reported the incidents in the night to King Rolan. He did not know why the Tower was always kept locked. The Castle historian came and after searching for some time through the Castle records, he found the answer.

He bowed to the King. “This is what I found sire,” he said. “One of your ancestors managed to lock up the then Witch of the Dark Forest inside a mirror. They did not like to destroy the mirror in case she escaped. So, they put it in the tower and locked it up. They thought it was forever.”

“The footprints are small enough to be a woman’s,” said Captain Smike.

“We had better send a message to the Witch of the Dark Forest,” said King Rolan. “I am sure she will not want another Witch to suddenly appear.”

The Witch was not pleased. “Spells have a time limit on them,” she explained. ”This one must have been for one hundred years and a day. I wish I had known about the mirror, I could have done something.”

She walked up and down the throne room. “You realise that she will want revenge on your family for locking her up,” she said.

King Rolan nodded. “Can you do anything?”

The Witch shook her head. “Magalan was probably the most powerful Witch there has ever been. All I can do for the moment is to see if I can find out where she has gone. She will be weak after spending that much time in the mirror, so she will have gone to hide somewhere until she regains her strength.”

A few days later, the Witch sent a message to King Rolan to tell him that the escaped Witch had disappeared into the Mountains, probably taking shelter with the Shadow people.

A few weeks later the Outlaws and smugglers began to leave their mountain hide outs and come down in the Borderlands to escape the Shadow people. A little later the whole town of Ingford was taken over by the Shadow people. Magalan’s revenge had begun.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
Chapter 1
The Shadow.

Aidan had no memory of his parents. He assumed that once upon a time he had had a mother and a father, but he could not remember them. He had been brought up by his Nan as he called her. They lived in a middle sized town, Barford.  He often thought it was a strange name for a town which was not on a river and so had no need for a ford or a bridge. The town was about half way between the Mountains and the Dark Forest, so it was rarely troubled by outlaws from the Mountains or the Witches who lived in the Forest. All in all it was a good place to live. It had a Market, held every Friday in the Market Square. Farmers and tradesmen from all around came to sell their produce.

The town was run for the King by Lord Dalbard, known by his title ‘The Kingsman’. He and his wife lived in the biggest house in the town and were much respected by all the people who lived in Barford. Or, at least Lord Dalbard thought they were. His job was to make sure the town was peaceful, that the Market ran smoothly and most importantly to collect the Taxes and to send them off once a year to the Royal Palace.

People who collect taxes are often not popular with the people who pay the taxes, but the Taxes were not high and most people did not mind paying them, too much. Also people who collected taxes in those days were often dishonest and made people pay more than the King asked and kept the extra for themselves. Lord Dalbard was not one of those.

Another part of his job was also to act as a Judge in cases where there was a dispute between people in the town or surrounding district. Again, in those days, people who acted as Judges often decided who was right or wrong according to how good a present they gave to the Judge. Lord Dalbard was always fair and honest.

Really though all the work was done by the Kingman’s Clerk, Wilfred, who was paid a good wage by the King. Once a year Clerks from the Royal Palace came to check that everything was in order. Lord Dalbard was very proud that the King’s Clerks had never found anything wrong in Barford.

Lord Dalbard may not have taken bribes or stolen Tax money, but he and his wife lived very comfortably.  Shop keepers and trades people liked to keep on the good side of him, so he rarely paid the full price for anything. “Oh, that’s for the Kingsman, never mind sending the bill,” was often said.

Aidan did not give gifts to the Kingsman, or indeed to anyone, for he did not exist. At least he was alive and so did exist, but if you had said his name to anyone in the town they would have looked at you in puzzlement. Aidan did not live in a house, he had no home at all, unless you count the tumble down shack where had once lived with his Nan. After she died he had moved out and never been back. He had watched from a safe distance when they had come to take her to be buried.

For as long as he could remember his Nan had warned him that he must stay hidden. “If you are seen they will send you to an awful place,” she had warned him over and over again.  So he stayed in the shadows. He knew every back alley, every dark corner and every way of getting from any place in the town to another without being seen.

He could stand in the shadows and watch the townsfolk as they went about their business and not be seen. He saw them drop and lose things. Once he picked up a purse which a Merchant dropped and took it to the hut for his Nan. She was horrified and scolded him fiercely. “You must never, never steal,” she had warned. “Thieves always get caught in the end and they will send you to an awful place.”

Aidan had carefully and unseen put the purse on the Merchant’s Market Stall. The Merchant was puzzled, but very pleased.

Aidan often overheard things which the townsfolk said to each other, secrets which perhaps they did not want to be overheard. Aidan had once told his Nan something which he had heard a tradesman say about another. His Nan was really angry. “You must never, never tell anyone someone else’s secrets. They will come looking for the person who told on them and they will send you to an awful place.” Aidan had never repeated gossip again.

He did discover that he was very good at finding lost things, so he began to return them to their rightful owners. This did cause a large amount of puzzlement amongst the town’s folks. But they were happy to see their possessions returned to them. One Farmer said that there must be a friendly shadow in the town who kept an eye on careless folks who lost things.

Sometimes Aidan found small coins which he could not return, these he used to buy food from the Market stalls. He would take a small loaf of bread from the Bakers and leave the right amount of money on the stall without being seen. His clothes he fashioned for himself from the things people threw away. He preferred greys and dark browns. They were better colours for hiding than black. He always left a few coins to pay for the cloth he took, even if it was thrown away.

Aidan found that he could walk around the town in full view of everyone on Market Days. The townsfolk assumed he was from the countryside and the country folk assumed he was from the town. He also learned by watching the local thieves that nobody took much notice of someone who walked around  normally, but someone who crept along or behaved in an odd way was soon spotted and carefully watched.

Aidan did not like the local thieves. They caused him a few problems. When something went missing or was stolen, the Kingsman organised a search party. The locals thought they knew all the alleys and passageways of the town and maybe they did, but not as well as the thieves and even they did not know the place as well as Aidan. He could disappear long before the searchers got anywhere near him, but it was annoying.

In the end he got so fed up with the thieves that he decided to get rid of them He did that very simply by taking back the things they had stolen and returning them to their rightful owners. It did not take long for the local villains to realise that they were being watched and there is nothing a thief like less than being watched, especially when they could not see who was watching them. Eventually they packed their bags and went to other towns where the thieving was easier. They spread the word of a shadow that lived in Barford and protected the people living there.

The story of this shadow soon spread around the town itself and Aidan soon heard people talking about it. It did not take him long to realise that he himself was this shadow. He rather liked the name. He liked even more the way people began to leave things out for him. The Baker would put a loaf on one side and say loudly, “This is for the Shadow.” Not to be outdone the Butcher began to put meat on one side ‘for the Shadow’.  Aidan still paid for these things and the others which were left for him, but living became a lot easier.

Right in the middle of the town Aidan discovered that when some houses had been built, it had left a small triangle of land.  It was perfect for him as the only way in was to climb up a stack of discarded timber. The walls kept out the weather and the roofs of the houses acted as a roof over the space. Here he had a bed, somewhere to cook his food where any smoke was lost, mixed up with the fumes from the chimneys around. He had a lamp for light and that light could not be seen from anywhere. It was the perfect hiding place. He even managed to fix up a couple of shelves for his most precious possessions, his books. His Nan had insisted that he learned to read and write.

When the Kingsman heard about the Shadow he asked the local business men if they wanted him to organise a search for this mysterious creature. To a man they told him in no uncertain terms that they preferred to have the Shadow than the thieves.

The ladies of the town thought it was very romantic to have this unknown hero hiding in the darkness. Many fanciful stories were made up about who he was and how he came to be in the town and why he hid from everyone. Since most of them had at one time or another walked past Aidan without giving him a second glance, they would have probably been very disappointed if they had discovered who he was.

Aidan was not the only person in the town who kept themselves very much in the background. The Kingsman, as befitted his status, lived in the largest House in the town. Such a large house needed a fair number of people to make it run smoothly. So he and his wife had servants. There was a footman, called Charles. This was not his real name, but Lady Dalbard had read somewhere that Footmen were always called Charles so Charles he had to be. There was a Coachman, called John. This again was not his real name, but Lady Dalbard insisted, so John he became. There was a Cook, only ever referred to as ‘Cook’, various kitchen and house maids with names that no one ever remembered but themselves.

The least of these housemaids was Emma. Lady Dalbard had also read that these housemaids were not supposed to be seen by the Master of the house. So she issued strict instructions that whenever he, or for that matter she, walked through the house the maids were to keep well out if sight. This suited Emma perfectly and she was very good at hiding in corners, or dodging into doorways so as not to be seen.

As the youngest and last taken on of the maids she probably did the most work. Again Emma did not mind too much, she was used to hard work. Lord and Lady Dalbard were not cruel masters, their servants were well fed, paid on time and even given regular holidays. For Emma the most wonderful part of working for the Kingsman was that she had a room of her own, with a bed which she did not have to share with at least one or sometimes even more other girls. Emma had come from the Orphanage where she had worked hard for no pay and shared a bed with another girl in a large room full of beds and other girls.

Once a week the Dalbard’s housekeeper, who was also the Cook, collected all the Servants in the kitchen and handed them their wages. Emma, signed her name on the piece of paper to say she had been given the money she was owed. The Orphanage was very good in some ways and insisted that all the girls learned to read and write. Emma took her money up to her room. There she had a small tin box which she kept hidden under a loose floorboard under her bed. She carefully put the money in it. The other maids sent some home to their parents and spent the rest in the Town on their day off.

Emma had an ambition. She had no intention of being a servant all her life, she was saving up to open a shop. Not just any shop, but a bookshop.  She had it all worked out in her head. She would sell books to those who could afford to buy them and lend ones for a small fee, to those who wanted to read, but could not afford to buy a book. By her bed she had a small table and a candle and she always managed to read a chapter of a book before she fell asleep.

There was a large library in the house as Lady Dalbard liked to think that she was a woman with good taste and to own a large number of books was seen to be fashionable. She, however, usually only read the latest Fashion magazine.  Emma would have loved to have borrowed a book from this collection, but she did not like to.

One day she was stood admiring them when the Kingsman’s clerk, Wilfred came in. Emma was so engrossed she did not immediately hide. He had asked if she could read and when told that she could, he had borrowed a book for her. From then on it was a regular thing. Wilfred would borrow a book from the Library and pass it on to Emma.

There was another reason why Emma was happy to keep out of sight. One day at the Orphanage, the other girls had been playing a silly game where they decided who was the prettiest girl in the Orphanage. They had chosen Emma, to her great astonishment. This had not pleased one of the other girls who thought that she was by far away prettier than Emma. Word were said and the jealous girl slapped Emma across the face. Though it was not that hard a blow for some reason the mark of her hand would not go.  The left side of Emma’s face had a red, hand print on it from that day on. She allowed her hair to grow and trained it to cover the mark.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »
Chapter Two

Emma Gets Lost.

Once a year, when the Taxes had been paid and the Clerks from the Palace had been and checked that everything was in order, Lord and Lady Dalbard threw a huge Summer Party for everyone in Town. This was held on a field outside the town. Marquees were brought in and long tables set up to hold the huge amounts of food and drink which were provided. Everyone joined in, the Baker made lots of bread and cakes, the Brewer, a special beer, the Butchers set up a fire pit and roasted a whole cow. There were games for the children and seats for the older folks. There was dancing and singing and even a tug of war.

Getting ready for the Garden Party was the busiest time of year for the Dalbard’s servants. So it was that a few days before the Garden Party, Lady Dalbard wanted a servant to go into town to collect the dress she had ordered from the Dressmaker. Charles was buried under the Marquee, trying to get the poles to stay up whilst John was very busy laying out the ropes for the Tug of War. Cook was cooking and all the maids were cleaning things, cutting up vegetables, peeling fruit and generally being rushed off their feet.

That left Emma who was just as busy as the others but at the bottom of the ladder, she could not refuse to go. She was too shy to say that she had no idea of how to get to the Dressmakers. Lady Dalbard would not have listened anyway. She was in too much of a state, rushing around with a list of things which had to be done and generally getting in everyone’s way. Wilfred very sensibly had gone off to the Royal Palace for his holidays.

Emma was pushed out of the Servant’s entrance by the next lowest maid. “It’s down there,” she said and pointed vaguely in the direction of the Town Square. Emma carefully arranged her hair over her ‘mark’ and set off. It did not take her long to get hopelessly lost. She stood at the junction of two streets and scratched her head. She took a few steps in one direction, then came back and took a few in the other. She was not a girl given to tears, the Orphanage had made her tougher than that, but she was getting very close.

From somewhere behind her a voice said “Excuse me miss, but you appear to be lost. Can I help you?”

Emma gave a little squeak and whirled round. There was no one there.

“Please,” said the voice again from nearby, “Do not be alarmed, I will not harm you. I am supposed to be very good at finding lost things and returning them to their rightful place.”

“Who, who!” Emma took a deep breath. “I will not be afraid!” she told herself “Who are you?” she asked, turning a full circle. There was no one there.

“Some people call me The Shadow,” said a voice from over her left shoulder. “And you should stop turning round like that, you will make yourself dizzy. Now, where are you trying to get to?”

Emma stopped trying to see the owner of the voice. “If it pleases you, sir, Mrs. Diamond’s the Dressmaker.”

There was a gentle laugh from near by, “I am no gentleman so a ‘sir’ is not needed. But it does please me to able to help. Now turn left and go to the end of this lane. The last building has a green door. Turn to the right and Mrs Diamond’s is the last shop on the corner.”

As an after thought, the voice added. “You do know which is your left and right, don’t you?”

Emma sniffed loudly and replied tartly. “Yes, of course I do.”

She followed the instructions and soon came to the Dressmakers. She opened the door and went inside.  Emma had never been inside a Dressmaker’s shop before so she did not know what to expect.  Inside was a tall, elegantly dressed lady with a sheet of paper in one hand. She read from the paper. “The green parcel is for Mrs. Draper.” A girl not much older than Emma wrote something on a slip of paper and pinned it to a green parcel.

The woman went on, “Now Miss Bridger did not like the blue ribbons so her dress will have to be altered. Take it back into the workroom. Another girl, who looked almost exactly the same as the first, carefully gathered up a dress and walked off through a door and disappeared. Emma caught a glimpse of pink ribbons as she went.

The woman, who Emma guessed to be Mrs. Diamond, went on. “That just leaves Lady Dalbard’s outfit. She was supposed to be sending someone over for it today.”

Emma coughed.         

Mrs. Diamond turned and looked down at her.

Emma blushed.

Mrs. Diamond sniffed. “From the uniform I presume you are here from Lady Dalbard?”

Emma curtsied, as she had been taught to do at the Orphanage. “If it please, ma’am, yes.”

Mrs. Diamond clicked her fingers and a third girl, no different to the first two appeared carrying a large parcel. She gave it to Emma.  Mrs. Diamond went on. “That is one of my finest creations, so do not drop it in the mud on your way back to the Kingsman’s house.”

“No, ma’am,” said Emma and tried to curtsey again. The parcel almost slipped from her grasp.

Mrs. Diamond tutted. “Well,” she said. “I made the dress and it will not be my fault if you ruin it. Now, be off with you. I have a very important customer due at any moment and she will not want to wait behind a slip of a serving girl.”

Emma turned and made for the door. However, before she reached it, the door opened with a crash. A woman strode in. .She seemed to fill the room immediately. Emma moved quickly to one side.  She had seen this fearsome lady once before in her life. The woman had visited the Orphanage looking for a girl to work for her as a maid. None of them had suited which was perhaps a good thing as this was the Wicked Witch of the Dark Forest.

Mrs Diamond almost pushed her out of the door and started to close it behind her. As it closed Emma heard Mrs. Diamond say, “How nice to see you again, madam. Your dress is ready and waiting for you to try on.”

Then the door was shut and Emma was again on the outside. She looked to the left and then to the right. She had no idea which way to turn to get home again and she really wanted to get home. She had something she dearly wanted to ask the Witch, but she needed her saved up wages for it.

“Lost again?” said a familiar voice.

Emma nodded. This time she knew better than to look for the owner of the voice.

“Well I am supposed to be very good at finding lost things and returning them to their rightful place.”

“I know! You said before” said Emma sharply.

The man laughed. “So, where are you trying to get to?”

“The Kingsman’s House!” replied Emma. “And, if possible, by the shortest route. I have to get back here before the Witch goes.”

“Right you are,” said the Shadow, “And right you go. When you reach the Town Square, turn left and the Kingsman’s House is the biggest of the three in front of you.”

Emma said,” Thank-you!” and ran.

Normally she would have gone round to the back of the house to the Servant’s entrance, but she was in too much of a hurry and the big front door was open. She rushed up the steps and carried on up the main stairs. Again she usually used the back stairs as she was supposed to do. She was in too much of a hurry and there was no one around. She ran down the corridor to Lady Dalbard’s room. One of the other maids was stood by the bed. Emma handed over the parcel and before the maid could say anything Emma turned and ran.  In her little bedroom at the very top of the house, she stopped to catch her breath. Once her heart stopped pounding she found her box and took out the money. Carefully she wrapped it in her handkerchief.

This time she did use the Servant’s stairs and door. She did not want anyone to stop her. This time she did not get lost. She opened the door of the Dressmaker’s and peeped in. The Witch was no longer there.  One of the Dressmaking girls was inside sweeping the floor.

“The Witch?!” blurted out Emma. “Please where is she?”

The girl stopped brushing and looked at Emma. “Her dress is not quite ready. So she left.  I think she said she was going for afternoon tea at the Café in the Town Square.”

Emma did not stop to thank the girl or to ask for directions. She closed the door and turned to look for the Café.  She looked left and right, she could not remember which way was the correct one for the Square.

“Lost again?” said a very familiar voice. “Well I am supposed to be very good at finding lost things and returning them to their rightful place.”

“Please, not again, “said Emma. “I am in a dreadful hurry. Just tell me how to get to the Café in the Town Square.”

There was laughter in the Shadows voice. “Turn right and straight ahead. Even you cannot miss the Café, it is the one with tables outside.”

Emma did not wait to say thank-you, she ran.

When she reached the Square, as the Shadow had said, the Café was easy to see with tables outside. She was about to cross the Square when the Shadow spoke to her again. “Having found you three times now, I feel rather responsible for you. You do know that the Witch of the Dark Forest is having afternoon tea at the Café don’t you?”

“Yes, it is her I really need to speak to.” Emma replied.

“Well,” said the Shadow I hope you know what you are doing, she is not the sort of person most people want to visit. I hope she is in a good mood.”

“So do I” muttered Emma. "So do I.”

She crossed over the Square to the Café. The Witch was sitting at one of the tables, looking out over the Square. Emma took a deep breath and curtsied.  The Witch put down her cup and raised one eyebrow.

“If it please you Ma’am” began Emma.

The Witch raised a hand. Emma flinched.

“You are in my line of sight across the Square,” said the Witch in a cold voice. “Either move left or right, but move.”

Emma moved to her right and tried again. “If it please you Ma’am.”

The Witch interrupted, “If you have a message for me then give it and go back to that man you were with on the other side of the Square.

Emma looked back across the Square. She could not see anyone there at all. She turned back and gathered up her courage. “No message, ma’am, I want to ask you for a Potion. I have money.”

The Witch sniffed and pointed to a chair across the table. “Sit,” she ordered.

Emma sat.

“I suppose you want something to make that young man over there fall in love with you,” said the Witch.

Emma looked across the Square. She still could not see anyone.

“Oh no ma’am,” she said hurriedly. “I want a potion to remove this.” Then she did something which she had never done before and pulled her hair back to show the mark.

“Interesting,” said the Witch. “Different. Most girls want Love potions.” She leant across the table and reached out a long finger. Emma backed away.

“Sit still, silly girl, “ordered the Witch. “I won’t harm you………..probably.”

Emma kept still as the Witch traced the outline of the hand on Emma’s cheek.

“Fascinating,” said the Witch. “How did you get this mark? “

Emma explained about the Orphanage and the jealous girl.

The Witch nodded. “Well I am very sorry, but I cannot get rid of this for you.”

Emma felt her heart sink. “You mean it cannot be removed?” She was nearly in tears.

“That is not what I said, “snapped the Witch. “I said ‘I cannot get rid of it. “

“Then it CAN be removed?” Emma was confused.

“Oh, yes,” replied the Witch. “When you discover who put this Spell on you and on the day you really wish to be the prettiest girl in the place it will go forever. Now go away, my tea is getting cold and I want to talk to that young man over there.”

Emma tried to give the Witch her money. The Witch shook her head and waved Emma away.

Emma stood up, curtsied and ran. This time she did not get lost and soon she was back in her little room having a good cry.

“I never want to be the prettiest girl,” she sniffed. Then she took a deep breath, washed her face, pulled her hair over the mark and went down to help get the place ready for the Garden Party.

Back in the Town Square, the Witch drank her tea. Aidan stood in the shadow and watched. He was rather puzzled at his own behaviour today. He had done something new to him. He had spoken to the girl, not just once, but three times. Yes, she had been lost, but even so, it was very worrying. He shook his head and turned to go back into hiding. However before he could the Witch put down her cup and made a peculiar gesture with her left hand. Aidan found himself walking across the Square, Try as he might, he could not control his feet. They took him to the Witch’s table. She pointed to the chair opposite her and he sat down.

He felt very uncomfortable, being out in the open like this and he tried as hard as he could to get up and go. The Witch frowned and made another gesture with her right hand.

“Is that better?” she said. “I can see that you prefer the shadows to the open. No one can see us now.”

“You mean we are invisible?” said Aidan.

“Not at all," replied the Witch. “But people will just not notice us.”

She was right. A couple strolled past and neither of them gave Aidan or the Witch a second glance. Aidan was still uncomfortable though.

“Now," said the Witch. “You have me interested. I have been to this town twice now and each time you have stood in the shadows and watched me very carefully. I do not like being watched. Who and what are you?”

“People call me the Shadow,” said Aidan. “I watch everything that goes on in this town. I mean you no harm.”

The Witch laughed nastily. “I doubt very much that you could do me any harm.” She went on.”Yes I have heard about you. None of the townsfolk know who you are, but you can tell me.”

Again she waved her fingers and Aidan found himself telling her about his Nan and how she had taught him to stay hidden.

When he had finished, the Witch leant across the table and took his chin in her hand. She turned his head first to the left then to the right. “Well, well, well,” she said. “This is delicious. Was your Nan your grandmother?

Aidan found he had to answer.” I don’t think so, she was just Nan. She would not let me call her Grandmother, or Granny or anything else.”

The Witch nodded. “And what about your parents?”

Again Aidan had no choice, something made him speak. “I never knew them and Nan never spoke about them. Do you know anything about them?”

She did not answer, she just smiled and it was not a pleasant smile either. “I heard that you are very good at finding lost things.”

“Yes!” said Aidan.

“Good then I may have a job for you before long. There is something which I need to get,” said the Witch.

“I will not steal,” protested Aidan. “Nan said that boys who steal get taken to an awful place.”

The Witch frowned. “An awful place, hmmm. Be that as it may, I am sure you could find out something for me.”

“I do not repeat other people’s secrets,” said Aidan. “Nan said that if I did I would be taken to an awful place.”

“An awful place,” mused the Witch. Then she said it again and again. Then she gave an unpleasant chuckle. “I think I know where your awful place is. But do not worry, it is no one’s secret I may want you to get for me, nor is it stealing.  This is what I want you to find for me.”

She took out the piece of material and placed it on the table between them. Aidan could not help himself. He leant forward and looked closely at the cloth. He reached out to take it.

"I have never seen anyone wearing clothes made from material like this," he said.  He did not tell her that he already had some small pieces of it that had been left lying around ‘for the Shadow’ by Mrs. Diamond

The Witch repeated the gesture with her left hand and Aidan found himself unable to move a muscle. She picked up the cloth and carefully folded it up and put it in his shirt pocket.  She made another odd gesture with both hands this time. “You interest me greatly but for now you can get back to your shadows, until I call for you to come.”

Somehow Aidan found himself back across the Square. The Witch was no where in sight. He shuddered and crept back to his hiding place.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
Chapter Three

The Garden Party.

The morning of the Garden Party began as it should, bright, sunny and with the promise of the fine weather lasting all day. Before long the whole town was on its way to Lord and Lady Dalbard’s Field.  Most of them carried something to make the day go well, trays of food, bottles of drink, Not all of the town was going, Aidan was still so shaken by his meeting with the Witch that he lay curled up in his bed, hardly able to move. He would not have gone in any case. A Garden party out in the open, where only the Towns people were supposed to be, would definitely have invited a challenge from someone Aidan could not have pretended to be with the folks who came to buy at the Market as only people from the Town were invited.

The other person, not at the gathering was Emma. Like all the other maids from the House she had worked hard to get the party ready and of course she had been invited, She had watched her workmates change into the dresses which they had saved up to buy She had looked down at her work clothes which were almost the only things she had to wear and shook her head. Besides she was going to take the chance whilst everyone was away to slip off and go back to the Orphanage. She had to find the girl who had put the Spell on her face.

Emma changed into the dress which the Orphanage had given her when she had left. She wrote a note and put it on the Cook’s Recipe book, explaining where she was going and why. Hoping that no one would mind, she made herself a parcel of bread and cheese for the journey. She took her box from its hiding place, wrapped up the money in a scarf and fastened it tightly round her waist. She made her bed and was ready to leave.

Back at the Party Field the Dalbards graciously greeted all the townsfolk as they arrived. Soon everyone was in place and Lord Dalbard stood to make the speech which he always did.  However, before he could begin, a late comer swept up to the platform where Lord Dalbard stood.

The Witch had ridden into Town to collect her dress. She was not pleased to find it on the step of the Dressmakers, even though it was carefully wrapped up. There was a note which explained that the alterations had been done and the dress ready to wear. Mrs Diamond apologised for not being there, and wrote that everyone had gone to the Garden Party.

Aidan had finally managed to drag himself out of bed. When the Garden Party was happening, he patrolled the town, keeping an eye open. Since there was no one around he could wander freely, normally. He watched the Witch from the shadows

She picked up the parcel and stood for a moment tapping her foot on the ground. The look on her face changed from annoyance to one of pure evil.

Aidan shuddered and pulled himself deeper into hiding. He watched as the Witch turned on her heel and strode off in the direction of the Party Field. He heard her mutter as she went past his hiding place.

“Throw my precious dress on the doorstep would they? They will pay for that!”

He shrank back as she turned and said “And I know you are watching, so don’t pretend to be a wall.”

Lord Dalbard was stood on the platform waiting for silence before he began to speak. The Witch stopped in front of the platform. She made a gesture with her right hand and immediately there was no noise.

She looked up at Lord Dalbard.  “So you did not see fit to invite me to your little gathering.”

He tried to speak, but no words came.

The Witch gestured again. Lord Dalbard gasped. “But Madam, this Party is for the people of Barford only. No one else is ever invited.”

The Witch snorted.

Then Lord Dalbard did something either very brave or very stupid. He said. “You are not welcome here. Please leave.”

“Oh, said the Witch.” I am going, but since you good folks are so fond your own company, then your own company is what you shall have. From now on no-one here will be able to leave this town and no-one from outside will be able to get in. And it will stay like that until he who lives in darkness finds his awful place and goes into the shadows and comes out his true self.”

The last part she said in a loud voice. Despite being hidden deep in the middle of town Aidan heard it clearly.

Then she added, “And you had better hurry, the scar faced girl has already started out and you are going to need her help. My cloth is out there somewhere and you are the one who is going find it.”

With a wicked laugh, the Witch turned on her heel and left the Party Field.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
Chapter Four
Aidan’s Travels

Aidan knew that he had no choice, but to go. He had always helped the people of the town and now they needed him more than ever. Still, the thought of going out into the country was not a pleasant one. He would have preferred to wait until dark, but if he had to go with the girl and she had already left, then he had to go now. He took a knapsack from the hook where he kept it. It was one of the few things he had taken from the room where he had lived with his Nan. He packed the things he thought he would need on a journey, slung it over his shoulder and left.

Emma had not got very far. She had a stone in her shoe and she was sitting by the side of the road. She saw Aidan walking towards her. She did not recognise him and was a bit worried that he had been sent to take her back. He stopped and looked down at her.

“Well? “Emma asked as she stood up.

Aidan scratched his head. He had been so unhappy at being out in the open that he had not thought at all of what he was going to say to this girl. He did not even know her name.

“Do you know what has happened at the Garden Party?”

“No!” said Emma. “And I am not going back there either.” She started to walk away.

“I am not here to take you back,” said Aidan going after her. “The Witch has put a dreadful spell on the town and no-one can get into the town or out, except you and me.”

Emma stopped.

Aidan hurried on, “She said that I had to go with you to find a way to break the spell.”

Emma frowned. “I do not understand any of this. Just who are you to begin with.”

“We have met before,” said Aidan. “Three times in fact, though you did not see me. I said ‘I am good at finding things and returning them to their rightful place.’ You were lost. Oh and my name is Aidan by the way. The town’s people call me The Shadow. And please can we get going. I do not like being out in the open like this.”

Emma nodded. “I suppose so, you can tell me about the Witch and the Spell as we go. My name is Emma by the way.”

“Pleased to meet you,” said Aidan, as his Nan had taught him to say when introduced to someone.

They set off along the road. Aidan explained about the Spell and what he had to do to break it. He did not mention the cloth, preferring to keep that part of his quest to himself for the moment.

Emma told him that she was going back to The Orphanage, but she did not say why and she was very careful to keep her scarred face hidden.

After a few miles they were overtaken by a man driving a cart. He stopped and offered them a ride. They were very grateful as the road was very dusty.

“Nice to have someone to chat to” said the man and proceeded to do just that. He commented on the weather, the fields they passed through, the horse, the birds in the sky, in fact almost anything which caught his attention.  Emma soon realised that all she needed to do was say “Yes” or “No” at the right time and the man was perfectly happy. Aidan just sat on the cart and worried about ‘the awful place’ and where it was and what he would find there.

Eventually they came to a crossroads. They had to leave the carter there as his road was off to the left and theirs was straight on. By now it was late afternoon and there was still a fair distance to go.

“There is a Farm just up the road,” said the carter. “The Powells own it. Nice couple. Tell them Simon the Carter sent you and I am sure they will put you up for the night.”

They thanked him and watched as he drove off. “Chatty type,” commented Aidan.

They walked in silence until they reach the Farm as Simon had said.

“Please don’t tell them who I am, “said Aidan, “I mean not The Shadow. You can tell them my real name.”

Emma nodded. As Simon had said, the Powells were very friendly and offered a room to Emma. Aidan asked if he could sleep in the Barn. He found the idea of being indoors rather disturbing. The Powells had often visited Barford to sell at the Market and knew the town well. They were fascinated and horrified by the Witch’s spell.

“Mind, I am glad you told us about it, “remarked Mr. Powell. “I was planning to take some Cheese to the Market this week. “

“Yes and I have some Eggs to sell too,” added Mrs. Powell. “We will have to go to Rosbridge instead. It is a lot further and not as good a Market. You have saved us a wasted journey.”

After Supper, Emma excused herself and went to bed. Aidan took the blanket offered by Mrs. Powell and went off to the Barn. He made up a comfortable bed in the straw and lay down. However he found he could not sleep so he got up and went out into the farmyard. He was more used to sleeping during the day and wandering the shadows at night. He felt more comfortable now that he could walk about unseen. Eventually he was tired enough and walked back to the Barn. As he went in the moonlight glinted on something lying in the mud by the door. He picked it up. It was a nice little brooch. He put it in his pocket and went to bed.

Next morning Mr. Powell woke Aidan and invited him in to the Farmhouse for breakfast. While they ate, Aidan noticed that Mrs. Powell’s hand kept straying to her shoulder as if she was looking for something. He remembered the brooch.

“I found this by the Barn, “Aidan said and took the trinket from his pocket and gave it to Mrs. Powell.

“My brooch,” she cried. “That was the first thing Mr. Powell ever bought for me in Barford. I was so upset when I lost it.” She would have flung her arms around Aidan’s neck of he had not backed away quickly.

Mr Powell looked as pleased as his wife.” Emma here tells me you are headed for Birch Hall. I deliver milk and eggs there, usually tomorrow, but I can go early. Save you having to walk all that way.”

Aidan and Emma were only too pleased to accept. Mrs. Powell insisted on making them some food for the journey.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:40:46 AM »
Chapter 5
Birch Hall.

As good as his word Mr Powell delivered them and his milk and eggs to Birch Hall. This was a huge grey building with small windows. All the windows had bars on them.

Aidan pointed them out to Emma and asked. “Are those to stop people getting in?”

She shook her head. “No, they are to stop people getting out!”

Aidan shuddered. “That is horrible,” he said.” I cannot think of anything worse than not being able to get out of somewhere.”

Mr’ Powell stopped the cart by the front entrance. “I will take this stuff round to the kitchen,” he said. Then he scratched his chin. “I am very grateful you found the brooch for us.”

“I am supposed to be very good at finding lost things and returning them to their rightful place.” Aidan replied.

“Actually,” went on Mr Powell, “I was going to ask you a small favour. If, er, when, you remove the Spell from the town could you send me a message? Only if no one can go in or out then the folks there are going to need Eggs and stuff straight away. The first Farmer there is going to be very popular.”

Emma laughed and promised to do as Farmer Powell asked. She and Aidan walked up the steps to the front door. Above it was a sign which read, “Welcome to the Prince’s Children’s Home.”

Emma tugged on a chain dangling from the ceiling above the door. From inside Aidan could hear a bell jangling.

Emma said with a grin, “I have always wanted to use the front door. When I lived here we always used one of the side doors when we went for a walk.”

Before Aidan could answer the door swung open to reveal a rather stout woman in a grey dress and white apron.

She frowned at the pair of them and then said “Emma,” A huge smile lit up her face.” Oh my dear it is so good to see you. And with a friend too. Well don’t just stand there, come in, come in.”

She stood to one side and Emma led Aidan inside. “Hello Matron,” said Emma. “This is Aidan. He came with me from Barford to make sure I arrived safely.”

Aidan found himself shaking hands with the large lady.

“Well, don’t just stand in the Hall, come through to the Lounge and you can tell me all your news.” Then a worried look crossed the Matron’s face. “You haven’t been dismissed have you?”

Emma shook her head. “No. But there is a problem in Barford.”

Matron opened a door and led them into a large room. Aidan felt very uncomfortable. This was the first time he could ever remember being inside someone’s house.

“Sit down, sit down,” ordered the Matron. “I’ll send for some tea and you can tell me all about it.”

Emma seated herself on a large settee whilst Aidan perched himself on the edge of an armchair.

Emma explained about the Witch and the Spell which she had put on the town and its people.

There was a knock on the door and a small girl crept in carrying a tray. She put it on a table, curtsied and left without saying a word.

“So,” smiled the Matron, “Why have you and your friend come here? Very few people return once they have left.”

Emma carefully brushed her hair away from the scarred side of her face. Aidan had never seen the ugly red mark before. Emma had kept it carefully hidden. He felt a rush of sympathy for her, but said nothing.

Emma began. “Do you remember when this happened? “She asked.

The Matron nodded. “You and that silly girl, Rachel were arguing over who was the prettiest. The other girls chose you and Rachel was so angry she slapped your face. That mark came up then,” said Matron.

Emma sniffed. “I was not arguing, it was Rachel and the other girls. I do not want to be the prettiest girl anywhere.” She angrily brushed her hair back over the scar. “Anyway, I asked the Witch of the Dark Forest how to get rid of the mark. She said that the first thing I had to do was to find the girl who put it there.”

“Ah, said Matron.” A bit of a sad story there, really. Rachel was too pretty. No-one wanted to offer her a position. All the folks who came looking for maids turned her down. Either they had young sons who might fall for such a lovely looking girl or they had husbands who they did not trust.”

“So is she still here then?” asked Emma anxiously.

Matron shook her head. “No, in the end she was offered a place in the Borderlands. The Baron who gave her a job is almost blind and lives on his own in a Castle with no wife and no sons. He could not even see how pretty she was.”

Emma jumped up, “Then that is where we must go.”

Matron protested.” Not now, my dear. It is getting late. Come and dine with me and stay the night. There is a wagon going that way tomorrow, I am sure I can arrange a lift for you. The carter owes me a favour.”

Emma agreed.

Aidan leant over and whispered to her. “Can you ask if there is somewhere outside where I can sleep? I really do not like being inside.”

The Matron looked puzzled, but said that there was a Barn where Aidan could spend the night.

She led them out into the corridor. As they followed her to the Dining room a line of girls filed past. They were all dressed exactly the same, in a grey, ankle length dress with a white apron. They looked for all the world like miniature copies of the Matron. They walked in absolute silence past Aidan. They were followed by a line of boys. They too were all dressed in identical clothes, cream coloured trousers and striped shirts. Not one of the children spoke, nor did they look at Aidan and Emma.

After eating, an older boy, still dressed exactly like the younger ones, led Aidan to a shed. It was full of straw and looked weatherproof. Aidan thanked the boy, but the lad did not speak.

A few minutes later Emma came out with a blanket for him. “What is this place?” Aidan asked.

“It is Children’s Home,” said Emma. It is a place where children who have no parents are sent. King Rolan set it up about 20 years ago. There was a big war and it left lots of children without families to look after them. The King lost his younger son and grandson in that war.”

“But it is horrible,” protested Aidan. “Bars on the windows, all wearing the same uniform, no one speaking, it is awful.”

Emma snapped back. “It is better than starving on the streets which is what happened before the King gave the money for this place to open. At least everyone has some clothes and food to eat. They learn to read and write. And they are taught a trade, so that when the have to leave at sixteen, they can earn a living. And they check up afterwards to make sure you are being treated properly at work.”

Aidan sniffed. “Well I still think it is an awful place.”  Then he sat down with a thud.

Emma rushed over to him. “Are you all right?”

“I had no parents, I would have been sent here. This is the ‘awful place’ my Nan warned me about.” He looked around wildly. “I have to get away, they will keep me here.”

Emma was rather sharp with him. “Don’t be silly, you are too old to be sent here.” Then she stopped. “Remember what the Witch said. You had to find your ‘awful place’. Well this is it. Your Nan was not warning you about somewhere terrible. You must have misheard her. She was telling you that you would be sent to an Orphanage.”

Aidan nodded.

Emma thought for a moment. “I don’t understand why the Witch was being nice though. She is not thought of as being helpful.”

“I don’t think she is being nice just to be nice,” said Aidan. “There is something she wants and sending us on this quest is just her way of finding it.”

“But what does she want?” asked Emma.

Aidan reached into his pack. “After you spoke to her in the Café, she called me across. She gave me this.” He handed Emma the piece of cloth.

Emma took it and immediately gave it back. “Ooh, I do not like the feel of that.”

Aidan carefully put it away. “She wants me to find her some more of this.”

Emma was puzzled. “But why not just ask you to go and look?  Why put a spell on the town? Why did she tell you to help me?”

Aidan replied. “I don’t know, but I think it is going to be very dangerous and that I am going to need your help to find it.”

Next morning they set off again, riding on a Carter’s wagon. Aidan sat dangling his feet over the back while Emma sat with the driver and listened to him talk about his family, the road and anything else which came to mind.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:32:49 AM »
Chapter 6

Rougham Manor.

They reached their destination around lunchtime. “That’s Rougham Manor,” said the carter. “Lonely old place really.”

He was right. The house stood on its own. There were no farm buildings or other houses in sight. Even stranger was that there were no windows or doors at ground level. Emma and Aidan walked all the way round the Manor. The only way in was up a flight of stone steps. They climbed up. The doorway was very narrow and the door itself was studded with iron.

“No-one is going to get in here easily,” commented Emma. In the centre of the door was a handle. She pulled on it and from somewhere inside they heard the jangle of a bell. It made them both jump when a panel in the door suddenly opened.  “Yes?” snapped a man.

“Excuse me,” said Emma, “But we wonder if it is possible to speak to the maid Rachel? We are from Birch Hall.”

“Step back from the door,” ordered the man. “It opens outwards.”

They did as they were told and the door opened. Aidan felt quite disappointed that it did not creak.

The man was dressed in a Footman’s style uniform. “Come in, come in,” he ordered. “Rachel is in the Kitchen.”

They went in and the footman carefully closed the door behind them and locked it.

“Follow me,” he said.

He led them down a corridor to the Kitchen. Rachel was standing with her back to the door when they entered. “Visitors from Birch Hall,” said the footman.

Rachel swirled round. “Emma,” she screeched and rushed across the room. Then she stopped, “Oh, I forgot.” She touched her cheek.

“Oh never mind,” said Emma. “It was a silly argument and a long time ago.”

The two girls embraced.

“Sit down and tell me all your news,” said Rachel. “And why are you here. You are not the usual Birch Hall inspectors.”

Emma explained about the Witch’s spell on Barford and how she had asked for a Potion to remove the scar and ended with. “So I had to find the girl who put it there to get rid of it.”

She moved her hair away from the side of her face. The mark was still there.

Rachel stared at Emma’s face. “We never got to talk about this when it happened,” said Rachel. “And you covered it up so this is the first time I have ever seen it.” She turned to the footman, “See Charles, the perfect imprint of a right hand on her cheek.”

She then held up her hand. “I did not do it. Look”

Emma and Aidan stared at her four fingered right hand.

Rachel closed her fist and said quietly. “I lost my little finger when I was a baby.”

Emma gasped. “But, but if you did not do it, then who did?”

“”I don’t know,” said Rachel, “But I am so pleased it was not me. I have been worried about it ever since.”

A bell rang. “The Master wants me, “said Charles. “I will tell him we have visitors. He likes friendly visitors.”

Rachel watched him go. “You have not introduced your friend, she said.

“Sorry,” said Emma. “This is Aidan.  He is supposed to be good at finding things.” Then she burst into tears. “The Witch said that the mark would go when I found who put it there and now I don’t know where to look.”

Aidan said, “She did say that you would also have to want to be the prettiest girl in the place, as well.”

“But I never want to be that,” sniffed Emma.

“No,” agreed Rachel. “I was the one who wanted to be that.”

“And you ended up here because of it,” said Emma. “I am sorry.”

“Don’t be,” smiled Rachel. “I came here and met Charles and we are getting married next month. And the Master is paying for the Wedding and everything. You should go and meet him. He is a lovely person.”

Charles returned. “The Master would like to meet you. He is not very well these days and his eyes are very poor. He likes to feel the faces of visitors as he cannot see them. So please do not be alarmed. And if he falls asleep, then get up quietly and leave. He would like you to stay the night as well. Rachel will make up some beds for you.”

The Master of Rougham, Baron Astel, was sitting in an armchair in front of a roaring fire, even though it was summer.  Emma went across, curtsied and allowed him to touch her face, even on the mark. Aidan was next. The old man frowned as he examined Aidan and ran his fingers over the lad's face for a second time.

“Strange,” he said. “Have we met before somewhere?”

“No, sir, ” said Aidan. “I have never been out of Barford before.”

The old man sighed, “I must be getting old, I never forget a face, and yours is familiar.”

Over food they told the Baron of their quest. He asked a few questions then surprised Emma by saying. “I can tell you exactly who put the mark on your face. It is obvious to anyone who knows faces.”

Emma leapt up. “Oh please, sir do tell me.”

The old man laughed. “There is a mirror over there, go look in the glass and you will see the girl who did it.”

Emma ran across the room and looked in the mirror. “But,” she cried, “All I see is me!”

Baron Astel nodded.

“But.” she cried. “That means I put it there, me, myself.  But why?”

“I guess you really did NOT want to be the prettiest and that was a way of making it so,” said Rachel.

Emma turned back to the mirror. “But when WILL I want to be the prettiest girl in the place?”

“I can answer that, “said Charles. “The same day as Rachel will be the prettiest girl in the room, on your wedding day.”

Emma pulled her hair down over the mark. “No one will ever want to marry me with a scar like that,” she said fiercely.

Rachel went over and put her arm round Emma. “One day you will meet someone who does not care what you look like and will want to marry you no matter what. Why don’t we go up and look at my wedding dress?”

Emma allowed herself to be led away.

Aidan did not know what to do with himself, but he was not allowed to wonder for long. The Baron left the table and returned to his armchair. Within a few seconds he was fast asleep.

Charles put his finger to his lips and led Aidan out. Charles opened a door and led Aidan in. “We can talk in here,” he said. “The walls are thick enough to block the sound.”

The room was full of suits of armour and weapons hanging from the walls. “The Master used all of these once upon a time,” said Charles proudly.

Aidan wandered along looking at them. “He was obviously a great soldier then” he said.

“Aye, replied Charles. “The best in the land.”

Aidan asked, “So why does he live here, miles from anywhere and with only two servants for company?”

“He was in charge of King’s bodyguard. He was sent to fetch the King’s younger son, his wife and child back to the safety of the King’s Castle. They were attacked and everyone was killed except him. He came back alone and almost blind.”

“And the King blamed him and sent him to live here,” said Aidan.

“No,” shouted Charles. “The King did not blame him. He blamed himself and came here in shame, though he should have none. He was a great warrior.

One suit of armour caught Aidan’s attention. It was stood in a corner away from the rest. He went over to it. “I don’t think the Baron could have fitted into this one,” he said.

“No, “said Charles, “That is no human armour. Look at how thin the owner needed to be. And the metal is so thin you could almost make a hole in it with your fist.”

Aidan touched the armour. It was certainly far too thin to stop any weapon.

“Pick up the helmet,” said Charles.

Aidan did. It was incredibly light, but the oddest thing of all was that it had no eye slits. Anyone wearing it would be blind.

“Who would wear this?” he asked.

“This was one of the things which attacked and killed the Prince and his family. This is the armour from one of the Shadow people. It is not meant to keep weapons out, it is to stop light getting in.”

The voice was that of Baron Astel. Unseen and unheard he had come into the Trophy room.

“Look inside the armour, “he said. “Feel at the cloth on the inside. Have you ever touched anything like it?”

Aidan did as he was told. His fingers brushed against a familiar feeling material. He reached into his shirt and pulled out the piece of cloth from the Witch’s dress. “This is the same stuff,” he said and gave it to the Baron.

The Baron took it from Aidan and rubbed it between his fingers. “Where did you get this from,” he demanded.

Once again Aidan told of his meeting with the Witch and the quest on which she had sent him. “But I don’t understand what she meant by ‘comes out his true self’.”

Baron Astel shook his head. “Nor I and it is getting dark and the night is no time to talk about the Shadow people. We will discuss this in the morning.”

That night for the first time in his life Aidan had to sleep indoors. Charles insisted that it was far too dangerous for Aidan to go out after dark. “Why do you think we have no windows or doors at ground level,” he asked.

After breakfast Charles took Emma and Aidan to talk with Baron Astel. The Baron looked brighter this morning, than he had the previous evening. He was sitting in his armchair, leaning forward with his hands resting on his walking stick.

“The Shadow people,” prompted Aidan.

“A town in the far north reported that they had been forced to make strange armour. A Witch had put a spell on them or something and they had no choice, but to do what she ordered them to do.  They also said that no one could escape as the town was patrolled at night by the Shadow People. When the armour was finished the Witch and the Shadow People disappeared. It was not long after that when the attacks began.”

Charles interrupted. “That was, Ingford. I was born there.”

Baron Astel ignored the interruption and carried on speaking.  “No one knows that much about the Shadow People. They live deep in the mountains, in caves and valleys where the sun never shines. About twenty years ago, the Outlaws and Smugglers who live in those parts suddenly began to move into the Borderlands. They sent a messenger to King Rolan asking for pardons as they claimed that the Mountains were too dangerous for them to live in any more.”

Baron Astel gave a soft laugh. “Rolan had a brilliant idea. He turned the Smugglers into Carters and he made the Outlaws join the army. Good soldiers they were too, as long as they did not have to go into the Mountains.”

He stopped talking and coughed a few times. Charles came over with a drink. The Baron waved him away. “Don’t fuss man,” he said. “Now where was I? Oh yes. Rolan put me in charge of patrolling the borders to make sure that problem in the Mountains did not spill over into his lands. I sent spies, brave men, into the Mountains to see what was happening. Not one of them ever came back so I stopped. For a while everything seemed peaceful. Then isolated farms in the borders were attacked. Each time we went to look, all we found were burned out buildings and bodies.

The Baron sighed. “The attacks got worse, whole villages were destroyed. Again, no matter what we did, we could never find out who was doing it. We never found any enemy bodies or even their weapons. We did not know then that their black swords and arrows melt away in sunlight.”

Baron Astel stopped and held out a hand. Charles put a cup into it and watched as the old man took a sip.

“Prince Rogan, the King’s younger son was sent to the southern countries to see if they were having the same sort of trouble, but it seems it was only us that were being attacked. I was sent with a whole regiment to escort him and his family home. We could have gone along the edge of the Dark Forest, but Rogan was in a hurry and insisted we went by the shortest route through the Borderlands.”

Baron Astel stopped and sat for a minute saying nothing.

Aidan opened his mouth to speak, but Charles shook his head and stopped him.

The old man stared into his cup and then began talking again.” I should have made them go the other way, but he was a Prince and I am only a Baron. We camped for the night. I did all the usual things, sentries, made everyone sleep with their weapons, and lit a big fire, everything that I could think of. It made no difference. The Shadow people attacked as soon as it got dark. We could not see them to fight back. In the end there was only myself, the Prince, his wife, Princess Aidel and their nursemaid left. The Prince had brought back some fireworks for the babies christening. I don’t know what they did, but somehow all the fireworks were set off at once. The light was blinding.”

The Baron pointed to his eyes, “True in my case. The attack stopped. I must have fallen unconscious. When I awoke I was alone. No Prince, no Princess, no nursemaid and no baby, only that suit of armour. And it was empty. They found me   wandering about holding the armour and brought me to King Rolan.”

The Baron slumped back in his seat. Charles went over and took the cup from his hand. He turned to Aidan. There were tears in his eyes. “That is the first time I have ever heard him say anything about that attack.”

“The poor man,” said Aidan.

Charles nodded.” You know the odd thing is that the attacks stopped then. There have been no more for the last eighteen years. No one knows why. No one has been brave enough to go back into the mountains either.”

“But I HAVE to go to the Shadowlands,” said Aidan. “The Witch’s spell can only be removed if I go there.”

The Baron roused himself. “You would need to be able to keep out of sight of the Shadow people.”

“I have spent my whole life keeping out of people’s sight,” replied Aidan. “I am good at it.”

“Pity you could not get into the Shadow man’s armour,” said Charles. “Then you could pretend to be one of them.”

“The armour is too small for him, “said Baron Astel, “But the inside is lined with that strange cloth. Take it out and you might have enough to make a covering for you.”

Aidan smiled, “I have a lot more pieces of it in my pack.  Mrs. Diamond put them out for me.”

“Rachel and I were the best at needlework in Birch Hall,” said Emma when they explained what they wanted to her.

The rest of the day was spent making the costume. Charles went off to the nearest village on an errand for the Baron.

That evening the suit was ready. Aidan put it on. They had even managed to make a covering for his head. He stepped out of the candle light.

Emma clapped her hands. “You are invisible,” she cried.

“Not quite,” said Rachel. “We can still see your face.”

Aidan took the piece that the Witch had given him and put it over his face like a veil. “I can see through this,” he exclaimed. He pulled the cloth tight against his mouth. “And breathe through it too!”

Rachel quickly sowed the last piece to the front of the head covering. Now when Aidan stepped into the shadow he completely disappeared.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »
Chapter Seven

The Shadowlands.

Next morning Aidan put on his suit, then his ordinary clothes. The carter who had brought them to Rougham Manor was waiting outside. On the wagon was another man. “This is Boydel, he will take you as far into the mountains as he can,” said Charles.

It did not take long to reach the edge of the mountains to a place where the wagon could no longer fit. “I will return here every day for a week,” said the carter. “Good luck!”

Aidan and Boydel walked up into the Mountains until they reached a small oak tree. “This is as far as I go,” said Boydel. “You see that valley between those two peaks.”

Aidan nodded.

“We think that is the beginning of the Shadowlands. No one has ever been up there, so it is just a guess. It is about two days walk from here. I will return here every day for a week. After that…..”He shrugged his shoulders.

“After that you don’t think I will come back at all,” said Aidan.

“No,” replied Boydel. “There are plenty of streams you can drink from and I made up a pack of army rations for you. Not particularly nice tasting, but filling.”

He handed Aidan a pack.

“I will tell you a trick we used to do when I lived up here,” went on Boydel. “Split the pack into six. Each day bury or hide one portion on the trail. That way your pack will get lighter as you get more tired. Then, if, er, when, you come back you will have food on the trail ready to pick up without having to carry it. Very useful if you are running for your life.”

“Thank-you,” said Aidan. He took off his ordinary clothes and put the head covering on. Boydel whistled. “You might just get away with this, you are very hard to see. Good luck.”

Aidan set off. He did as Boydel had suggested. It took him two days to reach the Valley that Boydel had pointed out to him. He met no one on the journey. Indeed the Mountains seemed very quiet. That evening he found the entrance to the valley. It was very narrow. To Aidan’s horror the path was blocked by a skeleton. From the remains of the clothes he decided that it was a woman.

Just beyond her the path entered the Valley proper. He took a deep breath and walked on. It felt very odd for a few paces, as if the air itself was thick, like treacle. Then the feeling disappeared and he found himself in the valley. The Valley was cold and the sun did not seem to shine into it. Taking no chances Aidan kept in the deepest of the shadows. Nothing happened to worry him.

After about half a mile or so, he saw the smoke from a small fire in the middle of a flat piece of ground.. He crept up, using all the skills he had practised in Barford. There were two people sat near to the fire. Silently Aidan got close enough see them in the dim light from the fire. They looked like an ordinary man and woman to him.

The woman said.” Another of the children died today. It is very sad. I wish we could help them.”

The man sighed. ”I know. My love, but unless we can get out of this cursed valley there is nothing we can do. The Shadow people are doomed.”

They fell silent.

“Not Shadow people then,” thought Aidan. He stepped into the light. Immediately the man leapt to his feet and pulled out a sword.

Aidan held up his hands. “Whoa,” he said quickly.” I am a friend and unarmed.”

The man kept the sword point at Aidan’s chest. “Who are you and more important how did you get into this Valley. No-one has been able to do that for eighteen years.”

The woman stayed seated, but Aidan could see that she had a long dagger ready to use.

“They call me The Shadow in Barford,” said Aidan. “I am supposed to be very good at finding lost things.”

The man gave a bitter laugh.” Well we are certainly lost and you have definitely found us.”

He lowered his sword. “Please, won’t you join us? We do not have much to offer, but you are welcome to what we have.”

“I heard you talking about the Shadow people. Are they about?” Aidan asked.

“No,” said the woman, “They do not like even the light from this fire. Don’t worry though, they will not harm you. Despite everything you may have heard they are actually a very peaceful and gentle people.”

Aidan removed his helmet and sat down. He stayed in the shadow as much as he could though.

“I did not expect to find people here,” he said. “Baron Astel said that all humans had fled these mountains when the Shadow people began attacking the Border lands."

“Baron Astel is still alive?” The man said in a surprised tone.

“Yes, “said Aidan. “He is not well though. He never recovered from when Prince Rogan and his family were killed.”

The woman cried. “Oh, Rogan did you hear that, Astel is still alive.”

“Rogan?” asked Aidan.

“Yes,” said the man. He stood up and bowed. “Prince Rogan and Princess Aidel, at your service.”

Aidan was thoroughly confused. “But everyone thought you were dead. Why have you stayed hidden for all these years?”

“We cannot leave the valley,” replied Princess Aidel. “No one can. Not even the poor Shadow people.”

“I will try to explain,” said Prince Rogan. “A long time ago one of our ancestors managed to lock up an evil witch in a mirror. What no one realised was that the spell only lasted one hundred years and a day. When the time was up the Witch escaped. She fled into the Mountains. Somehow she convinced the Shadow People that humans were about to drive them out of their valleys and caves. She took them into Ingford and made the people there make suits of armour for them.”

“Baron Astel has one of those suits,” interrupted Aidan.

Prince Rogan carried on.” Her whole plan was to capture either me or my brother, Prince Roban.” He stopped. “Is he still alive?”

“Oh, yes, said Aidan. And King Rolan is too.”

“That is wonderful, “exclaimed the Prince. “Anyway, the Shadow people attacked us. They killed almost everyone, but before they could get to me I set off all the fireworks and the light was too much for them. They fled. We tried to get away too, but the Witch had also humans with her. They captured us and brought us here. The Shadow people fled and hid in he caves in this valley. The Witch said that she did not need them any more. She went to the end of the Valley and put a spell on it so no one could get in or out. It was the most powerful spell any witch has ever cast, she boasted. It was meant to last a thousand years and a day.”

“That is horrible,” said Aidan.

“Part of the spell was that the Princess and I would stay the same age, until we stepped outside the valley. So even if we were still here when the time was up we could not leave,” added Princess Aidel.

“I often wonder what happened to the Witch. Magalan was her name,” said Prince Rogan. “One of the Shadow people threw his knife at her as she was casting the spell, but we do not know if it hit her.”

“There is a woman’s body just outside the Valley,” said Aidan. “It could be her. There is a witch of the Dark Forest, but she is not called Magalan. Actually she was the one who sent me here.”

“But how did you get into the valley is what I want to know,” asked Princess Aidel.

Before he could answer, Aidan heard a peculiar high pitched whistle.

“Quick, “said the Prince. “Put the fire out. “That is Wopnik, the leader of the Shadow people.”

Princess Aidel put a metal cover over the tiny flame. Immediately the Valley was totally dark. “Even the stars do not shine here,” whispered Princess Aidel.

Aidan pulled his helmet down over his face and kept very still.

Aidan felt rather than saw a figure come into the camp site. It spoke in a strange language. The voice was quiet and low pitched.

“Wopnik tells me that there is a stranger in the Valley. He is worried,” said Prince Rogan.

The Prince and the Shadow man talked for a while in this strange language. Then Prince Rogan said. “I do not know what you are wearing young man, but Wopnik tells me that he knows you are here, but even he cannot see you. Take off your helmet please.”

Aidan did as he was told. He heard a sharp intake of breath from the Shadow man. It was followed by a long burst of speech.

“Bit hard to follow that,” said Prince Rogan, “But I think he was saying that the only thing he knows of which can hide a human from him is the cloth, Citspal.”

Aidan held out the helmet. “Here give him this. It might be this Citspal stuff.”

There was another burst of excited gabbling from Wopnik.

Prince Rogan sounded excited too. “He says it is Citspal. He is very excited about it. I think he is trying to tell me something about the cloth.”

There was more conversation between the Prince and Wopnik.

“By all that is wonderful, “said the Prince. “This cloth not only hides you from his eyes, it is not affected by any spell. That is how you managed to get into the Valley. When you are covered in it, her spell does not work.”

Aidan felt himself being grabbed and whirled around. “Don’t you see this means we can get out of here,” shouted the Prince.

“Hang on, said Aidan. “I have only got the one suit you know. “

Princess Aidel asked.” If this cloth stops magic, why have the Shadow People not used it to escape before?”

Prince Rogan fired off a question to Wopnik.

The answer was a long speech.

“Wish, he could speak our language, “said Princess Aidel. “It would save a lot of time.”

Wopnik spoke slowly and hesitantly “Can speak some, words hard to make. No cloth in Valley. All outside in cave. Man go and fetch.”

“It is a bit dark to go walking about the valley now, “protested Aidan.

“I lead,” said Wopnik. “Give hand.”

Aidan felt a rather bony and very thin hand grasp his. He allowed himself to be led off down the Valley. Wopnik stopped where the air felt thick to Aidan.

“Cave behind rock, Rock look like big bird. Fetch cloaks.”

“Am I allowed to make a light in the cave?” asked Aidan. “Only it will not be easy to find the cloaks in the dark.”

“Yes, “said Wopnik, “But put out when leave.”

Aidan pushed his way through the thick air of the spell. The cave was hidden behind a rock a little way down the path. He had walked right past it earlier without seeing it. He picked up some dry grass from the path.  Inside he took out his flint and used it to set fire to the grass. It did not burn for long, but he was able to see bundles of cloth all over the floor. Quickly he scooped up as many as he could and took them to Wopnik. Together they went back. Wopnik threw cloaks out on to the path and Aidan wrapped them up in bundles.

“Dawn come,” said Wopnik. “Must hurry.”

Aidan could see that the shadow man was correct. “You take as much as you can carry. I will bring the rest. Go,” ordered Aidan.

By first light all the cloaks from the cave had been transferred into the Valley. Aidan, Prince Rogan and Princess Aidel pushed the bundles into the caves in the Valley for the Shadow people.

As it grew light enough to see each other Aidan turned from putting in the last one to look at Prince Rogan. He nearly fell back into the cave. It was like looking into a mirror. Yes, the Prince’s face was older than his, but that was all.

Princess Aidel came up from the camp fire where she had been making breakfast. She looked at Aidan and then at Prince Rogan. “Oh,” she said in a peculiar voice.

Rogan rushed across to her.” What is it my love?”

“Look at him,” she said, “Look at his face.”

With a puzzled expression on his face Prince Rogan turned to look at Aidan for the first time in the light.

“What the…………..?” he started to say, but got no further.

“Quick, interrupted Princess Aidel. “What is your name and who are your parents?”

“Aidan, ma’am! “Aidan replied. “And I have no parents. I was brought up by my Nan.

The Princess sat down with a bump. “Our son was to be called Aidan. First part from my name and the last from Rogan, as is traditional.”

“How old are you boy?” Prince Rogan demanded.

Aidan stammered. “Just over eighteen, not really sure, Nanny never told me when my birthday was.”

“Can you remember your Nanny’s name?” asked Rogan.

Aidan cast his mind back. The only time he had ever heard her name was when they found her body. “Lilbet, I think,” he said. Then he added, more confidently. “Lilbet Treeman.”

Princess Aidel began to cry.

Aidan was confused.” Is that wrong? I only heard it when she died.”

Prince Rogan shook his head. “No, it is not wrong, it is very definitely not wrong. The Nursemaid, who was with us when the Witch took us, was called Elizabeth Treeman.”

Princess Aidel lifted up her tear stained face. “Don’t you see, you are our son, Aidan.”

It was too much for Aidan to take in. He walked away back to the camp-fire. He stared at the few flames. “The witch said I had to go into the shadows to find out who I really am, but I did not know what she meant. Emma is going to be amazed at this.” He said to no one in particular.

The thought of Emma brought him to his senses. He went back to the royal couple. “I don’t know if it is true or not, but I have just realised that we have only a few days to get down to where Boydel is waiting for me. Otherwise he is going to go back to Baron Astel and report that I am dead. I think that would be end of him.”

Prince Rogan nodded. “We can sort this all out later. If we have to leave then we had better get going. Is there anything here you want?”

“The Witch wanted me to find a roll of this cloth, if it is possible.” replied Aidan.

Prince Rogan went into the cave. He came out a moment later. “Wopnik says that there should be a roll of it in the cave outside. For your help you are most welcome to take it.”

“Tell him thank-you,” said Aidan. Then a thought struck him. “You said that the Shadow Men are a peaceful people and that they only defend themselves?”

Rogan nodded.

“Then I can tell them how to stay safe from attack. The spell on the Valley means that only those wearing Citspal can enter, so as long as the Shadow People wear their cloaks, they have a safe place to hide. Well. At least for nearly a thousand years.”

Prince Rogan laughed. “I will tell Wopnik.”

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
Chapter  Eight

Barford again.

The journey back down the mountain was hard and slow. Aidan told the royal couple all that he could remember of his childhood. It was hard to watch their faces grow slowly older the further away from the Valley they travelled.

They arrived at the Oak tree late on the sixth day. True to his word Boydel was waiting for them. When he saw Prince Rogan and Princess Aidel he fell to his knees. “Your majesties, “he stammered. “We thought you were killed.”

He led them out of the Mountains to where the carter was waiting with his wagon. Their welcome at Rougham Manor was tumultuous. Emma flung her arms around Aidan’s neck and gave him a kiss and then blushed bright red and fled.

Baron Astel tried to go down on one knee, but Prince Rogan would not let him. With tears streaming down his face the old man felt Prince Rogan’s face. “It is you, “he said. Then he had to feel Aidan’s face again. “I knew this face was familiar. You look like your Father.”

Charles was sent off to the King’s Palace with a letter containing the good news.

Prince Rogan and Princess Aidel wanted to stay at Rougham Manor until the King arrived, but Aidan insisted that he had to go to Barford to deliver the cloth and release the town from the Witch’s spell.

Promising to return for Rachel and Charles’ wedding the party set off. They called in at Birch Hall to tell Matron the good news. Next they passed by Powell’s Farm.

Aidan went in. “We are off to lift the Spell in Barford,” he told the Farmer. “Fill up your cart with food and follow us.”

Early next morning they arrived at the town gates. The witch was seated on a magnificent black horse outside. “I was expecting you, she said.” My cloth?”

Aidan handed over the roll with a bow. “The spell? “He asked.

The witch waved her hand and the air round the gates shimmered for a second. “Gone, “she said. “And so am I.” She waved her hand and she and the horse disappeared.

Of course, there was great rejoicing in the town. Everyone wanted to meet the Shadow who turned out to be a Royal Prince. Poor Aidan hardly had time to think.

Late that night he finally managed to sneak away to collect his belongings from his old home.

On the way back to the Dalbard’s mansion where he was now staying he found Emma standing on the steps.

She curtsied. “I suppose that is it now, your highness,” she said.

Aidan ignored the curtsey. “What do you mean?”

Emma sighed. “You have found your parents, you broke the spell. I found out who put the mark on my face. There is nothing else to do is there?”

Aidan took a deep breath. "And what are you going to do?”

“I will carry on saving until I have enough money to open my bookshop and Library,” she replied.

Aidan said nothing for a moment. “If I had my choice, I would prefer to go back to being the Shadow in Barford, finding lost things and keeping the thieves away. Do you really think either of us can go back to what we were before?”

Emma shook her head.” I am not even sure that the Dalbard’s want me back.”

“I have been talking to my Mother,” said Aidan slowly, “You know my Grandfather founded the Orphanages?”

Emma nodded.

“Well, Mother. “He stopped, “That really does sound odd to me you know. Anyway, she wants to set up schools, first of all in all the towns then in the bigger villages. She wants every child in the Kingdom to learn to read and write.”

“That would be good,” said Emma.

“But then we will have a lot of people who can read, but no books for them. So, she wondered if you would like to help build Libraries in the towns. People could borrow books for a small sum, or even for free, if you thought that would be better.”

Emma looked up and frowned. “Me? Set up Libraries?”

“Yes, “smiled Aidan. “We thought they could have a sign over the door saying ‘A Princess Emma Free Library.’”

“Princess?” shrieked Emma.

“Yes,” said Aidan, “If you’d like it.”

“But I am only an orphan chamber maid, you can’t. It is wrong.” protested Emma

“”Well, if it is you had better come and explain it to my Mother,” said Aidan. “She said that she always wanted a daughter.”

The mark on Emma’s face began to fade.