Author Topic: The Flightless Fairy  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Palustris

The Flightless Fairy
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »
The Flightless Fairy.

Chapter 1

The Crippled Fairy.

“I don’t know which is worse, the other boys picking on me because I am different or NOT picking on me because they think it is wrong to bully a cripple!” Willowby grumbled to me. I am Professor Shovelock Ellis Hewletts, by the way. I was sat at my desk writing the English to Fairy Dictionary. This was the book that I had been working on since I had joined the Fairies nearly a year ago. Willowby was stood next to the desk. He had just come in from the Fairy Nest after delivering a load of pollen and nectar to the winter store.

Willowby was an unusual Fairy, for he could not fly. Worst of all he had no wings at all. This made him a cripple in the eyes of his fellow Fairies. True he did have the wing buds on his shoulders where the wings should come from. The Doctors had examined him carefully and rubbed in the almost magical Elf Gift. This was a liquid which the Fairies made in different strengths for different uses. At full strength it could cure every know illness. At the weakest, it helped to wash clothes as clean as could be. The way to make it had been given to the Fairies by the Elves many thousands of years before.

They shook their heads and sadly told him that there was nothing more they could do to help.

“You will be earthbound I am sorry to say," The eldest and thus most learned of them said.

“I thought I would never fit in, but not being able to fly makes it even harder,” went on the miserable boy. “I don’t know what to do.”

I put down my pen. I had managed to reduce this in size when I had joined the Fairies.

I looked at the boy over the top of my reading glasses. “Hmmmm!”

What I saw, was a fairly ordinary Fairy youth, quite good looking in a way, I supposed, not being a judge of Fairy looks. I had looked after Willowby since the lad had arrived in the Honeysuckle Nest.

Willowby had been born elsewhere, in another Fairy Nest. A week or so after I arrived there had been a terrible kerfuffle in the Honeysuckle Nest. All the babies had begun to cry at once. People dropped things they were carrying. Old grannies fainted and the women began to cry. All the men folk stopped what they were doing and rushed out of the Nest. King Adonis explained to me that all Fairies feel the death of a related Fairy in their hearts. Something dreadful had happened to a whole Nest of Fairies, most of whom had relatives in this Nest.

When the men folk returned they brought Willowby with them He was the only survivor they could find from the Willow Nest. This was another colony of Fairies some distance down the Garden. The returning Fairies explained that they had found the Nest torn to shreds. Willowby was under the remains. Of the other Fairies, there was no sign.

“They must all be dead,” said King Adonis with great sorrow, “Or we wouldn't have felt so much pain.”

They had gently questioned Willowby, but he could not or would not remember what had happened.  He shook his head when asked and became very upset. “The only thing I can remember is waking up here.”

The Fairies had brought the orphan to stay with me. Willowby had joined the other Fairy boys of his age in School. He did well, but the others did bully him a little, because he was different. I found out about this when Willowby started having bad nightmares.

“All I can tell you is that in my dream, this great big black, pointed thing is coming out of the sky towards me. Next to it is a hole in the grey sky. Then I start to fall and I wake up screaming.” Willowby had explained.

The bullying had stopped when I mentioned it to the teacher. The nightmares also stopped for a while until the other boys began to get their wings.

Fairies are not born winged. Girl fairies get theirs once they reach the age of five, but boys get theirs much later. The younger a boy gets his wings the more ‘flighty’ they are. Indeed, the very youngest are called’ Sprites’ and they often do not grow up at all. Most of them do not live very long as they have so little sense. The older a male Fairy is, when his wings appear, the more sober and sensible they are. These boys are often the ones who become Doctors or teachers or Nest leaders. Even so, all Fairies are winged by the time they are 16. Willowby was reckoned to be at the right age to have grown his wings.

If he had shown signs of being clever or sensible then he might have been regarded as a very late developer and been destined for greatness. However, whilst neither dull nor stupid, he was no great or deep thinker.

I did my best to reassure the youth. “It is probably something to do with what happened to you. When we can find out exactly what it was, you may well grow your wings. In the mean time, you are almost as good as your classmates at collecting food. Possibly even better than some as you try harder.”

It was true. Willowby had learnt how to make ropes from the silk of spider’s webs. He attached them to hooks made from Teasel flower spines. With these climbing tools he could get to the top of any flower and collect the pollen and nectar. This was very important work. The Nest depended on a good harvest to last them through winter months.

“You have won the heart of Princess Holly. That alone makes you special. I know all the other Fairy boys wanted to do that.”

It was true. Willowby may not have been able to fly. However, that didn't stop Princess Holly from falling in love with him.

Willowby nodded.” I shouldn't complain really, but it is so hard to be pitied sometimes.”

Before I could say any more there was a loud knocking at the door. Willowby went and opened it. Two of the King’s guards pushed him back into the room and came in.

“Willowby of Willow Nest, you are under arrest for the theft of the Crown Jewels.”

Offline Palustris

Re: The Flightless Fairy
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »

Chapter Two

A Terrible Crime.

King Adonis followed his guards into the room He looked very angry and for once he was not wearing the crown. I couldn't remember ever seeing the King without his badge of office before.

The guards positioned themselves on either side of Willowby and held on to his arms. He could hardly move. He opened his mouth to protest, but all that came out was a squeak.

I did manage to overcome my surprise and ask. “What is the meaning of this? What is going on?”

“The Crown Jewels have gone missing, probably stolen and we have good reasons to believe that this person is the culprit,” said King Adonis.

That made me frown. “I doubt that very much. Willowby has always struck me as an honest boy”

“Well, yes, up to now that is so. “ King Adonis agreed. “But the Crown Jewels are missing and his ropes and hooks were found at the scene.”

“Oh!” I turned to Willowby. “Well?”

“I haven't stolen anything.”  Willowby said.

“Then how do you explain your ropes being right next to the Jewel room?” King Adonis demanded.

Willowby shook his head. “I can't!”

“And everyone knows you have been collecting every shiny thing you can lay your hands on for the last few weeks. How do you explain that?”

“I can't”

“Then you will be cast out of the Nest!” King Adonis shouted.

The guards began to drag Willowby towards the door.

“Slow down, “I said. “Being cast out of the Nest is as good as a death sentence and we haven't proved him guilty yet. And If he did steal the Jewels.”

“I didn't. I didn't” Willowby was almost in tears.

“Hah!” sniffed King Adonis.

I waved both my hands, “Just calm down, calm down. Let me finish. If and I mean if, Willowby did steal the Jewels then before you cast him out, I would have thought you would want him to tell you where they are. “

“But I didn't and I don't know where they are.” Willowby protested.

“All right, all right.” I went on in a calm voice. “We shall get to the bottom of this mystery.”

King Adonis took a deep breath. “Perhaps I have been a little hasty.” Then, he turned to me. “What do you suggest we do then?”

“In all the Detective stories I have read, the first thing they do is to examine the scene of the crime,” I answered.

“Detective stories?” Kind Adonis's anger turned to puzzlement.

“Yes, of course, never mind I will explain another time. We need to go and look at the Jewel room to see if we can find out what happened.”

King Adonis nodded. “Yes, that seems sensible. And bring the prisoner.” He pushed past the guards and led the way out of the room. I picked up a magnifying glass from my desk and followed. The King led the way to the Jewel room high up in the roof of the Nest. In deference to the human who couldn't fly and the wingless fairy, they used the stairs rather than flying up.

The Jewel room was a small chamber that led off the throne room. Willowby and the guards stopped in the Throne room and King Adonis showed me into the room.

There certainly had been a crime. The shelves were empty. There was also a large gaping hole in the ceiling.

“I assume there used to be a lot of things in here?” I asked.

Kind Adonis nodded. “There were lots of things. You humans are very careless at times and my people pick up all kinds of pretty things that you lose. They are no use really. The lad could have them, but not my Crown. I feel undressed without it.

The King made as if to enter the Jewel Room. I gently stopped him. "Excuse me, sire but please allow me to examine the room from here before we go in."

King Adonis stood still. "Why?" He asked.

"We may be able to see who has been in the room," I explained. I looked carefully around. "This is very odd, there are only one set of footprints. I assume they are yours from when you went to look for your crown."

King Adonis nodded.

"Then whoever stole the Jewels can't have come in through the door and walked across the room without leaving footprints. Perhaps it is a good job you do not dust the room very often."

King Adonis had the grace to blush. "I don't go in there very often. The crown is hung up on the hook by the door. No one else is allowed in there at all.

I nodded. "I see. The thief then must have come in through the hole in the ceiling."

The King nodded.

"I would have thought that the thief would need wings to do that," I commented.

The King shook his head. "All the thief would need to do is to lie on the roof and hook the Jewels out, or dangle on a rope and pick them up without out touching the floor."

"Hmmmm, yes that is a possibility. Can we get up onto the roof?" I began to feel a little worried.

"There is a little used stairway up, yes. It is a bit rickety so I will fly up while you walk. Do be careful please," said King Adonis.

We met up on the roof. Near to the hole I found two coils of spider’s silk rope and some hooks.

"They are what make me think it is the boy who stole my crown," said King Adonis as he landed next to me. "Only he uses ropes and hooks like that."

"It certainly begins to look very bad for him. But I still find it hard to believe that he is a thief." I took out my magnifying glass and examined the area carefully. I picked up a small piece of black fluff from the edge of the hole and wrapped it carefully in my handkerchief. "Interesting."

Next I peered closely at the rope and hook. I found another piece of fluff on top of the rope. "Very interesting."

King Adonis looked puzzled.

"I think we can move the rope and hook now and go and talk to Willowby." I went back down the stairs carrying Willowby's ropes and hooks.

"Are these yours? I asked.

Sadly Willowby, still held tightly by the guards, nodded.

"Why are they on the roof of the Throne room?"

"I can't tell you, but I didn't steal anything." Willowby sounded very distressed.

"Well, did you put them there?"

"Yes, no one else will touch them."

"When?"

They have been up there for over a week now. And that is the last time I went up there," he added.

I turned to the King. "Perhaps we can establish when this theft took place. I assume you would have noticed the hole in the roof when you hung up the Crown. So the break in must have happened while you were asleep,"

King Adonis nodded. "I usually have half an hours nap straight after lunch. I am a heavy sleeper so I heard nothing and I woke up at my normal time."

"Good, then the theft must have happened during your nap.  So, about how long did it take you to call the guards, decide it was Willowby, find out where he was and get down to my room?"

King Adonis thought for a moment. "No more than ten minutes. Why?"

"Well," I said. "I had lunch at the same time as you did and Willowby came to talk to me about half an hour after that."

"So he could have stolen the Crown in that half hour. He was not in the Nest all morning that I do know." King Adonis said with a sniff.

I turned to Willowby. "Where did you spend the morning then?"

Willowby thought for a moment. "I was collecting pollen and Nectar from the Lupins in the Garden."

"There you are, that shows he is a liar," broke in King Adonis. "No fairy has ever managed to collect pollen from Lupins. You need to be as heavy as a bumble bee to open the flowers!"

"If you go and look in the Food store you will find bags of Lupin pollen. It is easy to open the flowers if you know how," said Willowby.

"I hope you do not damage them!"

Willowby was indignant. "Certainly not. I lever them open with a blackthorn spike. If you put it in just the right spot the flower opens easily. I have stronger arms than most because of using the ropes to climb. And I always leave a little pollen behind for the bumblebees. And I take some to the other Lupins. I look after the flowers which is more than some of the other boys do."

"Then, surely someone in the Food store must have seen you. There are almost always people working in there." I said.

Willowby shook his head. "I do not remember seeing anyone. It was lunchtime and I think they were all away, eating"

"It would be easy enough to check if there is Lupin pollen in the Food store," said King Adonis. "You, Mahonia, go and look."

One of the guards left.

"I think you will find that I can prove just from what we have here that Willowby didn't steal the jewels. One. He probably didn't have time if he was delivering pollen; Two. His rope has dust on it, but not underneath it so it can't have been moved and Three, these bits of fluff may well have been left by the thief and one was on top of the rope. It wouldn't have been there if the rope had been moved." I have to say I felt really pleased with myself for that price of detective work.

I took the pieces of fluff from my handkerchief and showed them to King Adonis with a flourish.

Before he could say anything the door burst open and a wild-eyed female Fairy rushed in. She stopped when she saw me. Willowby and the guard.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »

Chapter Three

A Kidnapped Queen.

"You, OUT and you,” she shouted to the guard and Willowby. When they hesitated she screamed. " Now!"

King Adonis nodded at the guard who fled taking Willowby with him.

"Now Larkspur," said the King in a soothing voice.” What is the matter?"

Instead of answering the Fairy went to the throne room door and closed it.

"The human can stay, we might need his advice." She said as she walked back into the middle of the room. "Princess Holly has disappeared. She was out on the Roof Terrace and she is not there now."

King Adonis sat down on the throne. "Are you sure she didn't come back through the door?"

"I locked the door so no one could see her. She was trying on the Gown of Light, so she couldn't be seen. She was supposed to shout when she was ready to come in. I gave her fifteen minutes then I opened the door. She was nowhere in sight."

King Adonis groaned. "And no-one can go and look for her either, except you."

I had to ask. "What is this Gown of Light and why can no one go looking for her?"

"You explain, your Highness while I go and have another look on the roof"

"Of course. You were too ill to notice the Festival of the Light when you came to join us last year. The thing that was growing inside you made you very sick, until the Elf Gift and Larkspur's nursing cured it. Well, the Festival of the Light happens every year on the morning of the longest day. A Queen of Light is chosen by the women folk. She then has to design and make the Gown of Light. No one else except her and the previous Queen are allowed to see it before dawn.”

“Dawn?”

“Yes the Queen of the Light declares that the Day has begun and then the fun begins.

“I must write all this down later on for the book on Fairy history.”  I was writing a series of books about all parts of Fairy life.  The Fairies did not understand why I wanted to do this, as they never forgot anything and lived forever unless killed. I did explain that when a Nest like the Willow one was destroyed everything the Nest knew was lost with it. If there were written records then at least they might survive. I do not think they understood. Fairies tend not to worry about things like that.

“The Queen of the Light MUST appear at dawn or there will be no light for the year.”

Larkspur had come back. “And she is definitely not on the roof. She wouldn't have flown off, the Gown was too heavy. She would not have taken it off and left it on the roof since that would mean someone might see it.”

“You don’t mean to say that you believe that the light will disappear just because the Queen does not appear."  I was surprised, the Fairies were usually a very practical people.

“The Light will fail,” said the King firmly.

“But the Earth will still go round the Sun,” I protested.

“Yes," said the King. “But there will be no Light for us.”

“Well then we had better find Princess Holly. May I go and look at the Roof Terrace?"

King Adonis nodded. “As long as she is not up there then we can go and search it.” He led me up another set of stairs.

The Roof Terrace was a long narrow balcony over looking the garden. It gave a fine view of the whole area. It was very private, anyone on the Terrace could watch without being seen either from the ground or from the sky. I searched the whole length. All I found was a tiny piece of silver foil and another small bit of black fluff. I showed them to the King and Larkspur.

Both shook their heads. “The shiny stuff is from the gown,” said Larkspur. “But what the feather is from I do not know.”

We made our way back to the Throne Room. Willowby and the guard came in. I couldn't help noticing that the guard was no longer keeping tight hold of Willowby. I guessed that he agreed that the lad was innocent.

“There is indeed a bag of fresh Lupin pollen in the Food Store and Daisy remembers seeing the lad taking it in at about the middle of lunch time.”

“Thank- you, Juniper. You can go now.”

The guard left the room.

“Now!” I said without thinking. “What are we going to do about this missing Princess Holly.?”

“Shhhh!” Larkspur said, but it was too late. Willowby had heard.

“The Princess is missing? When, where, how?” He rushed over to the King.

“I suppose we had better tell him, since I know that Princess Holly was going to chose him as her life partner at the Ball,” sighed King Adonis.

“Another one of your customs?” I asked.

“Yes, “replied the King. “Fairies from all over the garden from every Nest come to the Ball. Only the old and the babies stop at home. It is a time when the whole of Fairydom meets up to renew friendships and to choose life partners. It is usually a very happy and in some ways a sad time.”

“Happy I can see, but why sad?” I asked.

“Well, when a couple are paired up, and we believe that is for life, then the girl moves to her partner’s Nest to live. So, it is a time of both ‘Hellos and Goodbyes.”

“Oh never mind all, that” shouted Willowby. “What has happened to Holly?”

“If I tell you what is going on then you must promise not to mention it outside of this room to anyone, ever. Do you understand?” King Adonis thrust his face right up to Willowby and looked very fierce.

Willowby stepped back and stammered. “Yes of course, but please won’t some one explain?”

Larkspur did as Willowby asked. “She went out on to the roof to try on the gown for which you have been collecting shiny things and she just didn't come back.”

“I must go and find her,” shouted Willowby. “She can't fly in that gown. It is too heavy.”

King Adonis blew through his lips. “How do you know? You haven't seen it have you?”

“No, Holly told me that I had collected so many shiny things that by the time she had sewn them all on it was too heavy to fly. That is why my ropes and hooks were on the throne room roof. She is supposed to fly down into the main hall to declare the Day begun. I had rigged up a harness and I was going to lower her down to the floor. Once the Day was under way she takes off the Gown of Light so it wouldn't have mattered after that.

“Why didn't you say?”

“She made me promise not to tell anyone, in case it wasn't allowed. “

“Hmmmm, the rule says that the Queen must descend to into the main hall in her Gown of Lights. It does not say ‘fly’ down, so, I think it will be all right,” said the King

“Yes, but only if we find her,” pointed out Larkspur.

I thought it was time for me to join in. “There is a problem here. King Adonis can't go looking for her as that would immediately rouse suspicion. I can't go because I can't fly and Larkspur can't go either. I am sorry to say this Willowby, but if, and I mean IF, and nothing else, something dreadful has happened to Holly, you are the only one who can go looking for her.”

Willowby danced up and down in worry.

“Larkspur will have to quickly make a Gown of Lights and take over as Queen. Is there any rule which say someone can't be Queen for two years?”

She shook her head. “Not that I know off, but no one has ever been Queen twice before. It would cause some talk.”

“Better than no Light for the year,” said Adonis.

“Right so we are agreed the only one who can possibly go and search then is Willowby.”

The two Fairies nodded.

“Good, now all we need to do is to decide where to begin searching."

“One thing I do have to say,” broke in King Adonis. “Sorry Willowby, I know you love Holly and will do anything for her and I am glad you are not a thief. But I do have to tell you, that if you see her in the Gown of Lights before the Ball then you will have to be blinded and thrown out of the Nest?”

“I don’t care, I just want her to be back safe and if that means I never see her again then so be it. But where do I look?” Willowby sounded frantic.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »

Chapter Four.
Deductions.

Suddenly something, which Larkspur had said, struck me. I turned to her. “What did you say that fluff was? “

“It looks like a piece of feather. Why?”

“Hang on a minute.” I took the other two pieces of fluff from my pocket. “And what do you think these are then?”

“They look like feathers too.”

Willowby looked at them.  He shuddered. “I have seen feathers like that before somewhere, “ he said. “And they make me very, very frightened.”

“Now we are getting somewhere. I know you want to rush off and go searching and yes I know we have only the rest of today to find the Princess and get her back, but if we think about what we are doing then we WILL be successful.” I hoped I sounded more confident than I felt.

“Now we know then that a bird was on the roof of the Jewel Room and on the Roof Terrace too. What we need to do is figure out why it was in both places and what kind of birds it is.”

“Yes, but why would a bird want to pinch a load of shining jewels and my crown and kidnap the Princess in her Gown of Lights?” King Adonis scratched his head.

I walked up and down, hands behind my back. This was my favourite way to think.

“Ah ha. Got. It was not the Princess it wanted, it was the Gown. The bird was after shining things. Now quickly what kind of black bird likes to collect shining things?”

There are only four black feathered birds in the garden,” said Larkspur. “The Crows who live in the big Ash tree down the garden. They don’t come into the garden at all. Then there are the rooks that nest altogether in the Woods. They don’t usually come down either. Then there are blackbirds. They are all over the place and very dangerous to us they are, but I have never heard of them liking shiny things.”

" That just leaves one, the Jackdaw. They love to collect shiny things." I said in triumph. “That is what has stolen the Jewels and Princess Holly.”

“But, but Jackdaws eat Fairies,” worried King Adonis. “We have been very lucky there have been no Jackdaws in the garden for as long as I can remember.”

“I didn't realise that they were dangerous to you or I would have said. There was a pair flying around the garden just before I came to live with you.” I said. “I am sorry, I was glad to see them, they are interesting birds to a human.”

“We must hurry then. If it has taken Holly because she was shining, it may not have discovered she can be eaten yet.” Willowby was eager to go. “Do you know where they were nesting?”

“This was over a year ago,” I said, “But they were building in the very tall pear tree at the bottom of the garden. The nests were at least 60 feet up the tree.”

“I am not scared of heights,” declared Willowby. “I just wish I could fly and get there quicker.”

“Wait a moment, I have an idea,” said Larkspur. She left the throne room.

“I will go and get my best ropes and hooks,” said Willowby and also left.

King Adonis slumped on his throne. “I do not think there is much hope really do you?”

“There is always hope “I told him. “And she must still be alive or you would have known it since she is your daughter. You said that Fairies felt it in their heart when a relative was killed.”

“True.” The King thought for a moment. “You know I don’t like that lad going off into danger like this I wish I could help.

“Me too, “I said.

“Actually!” King Adonis said. “There is something I can do.” He went into his bedroom and fished under the bed. He came out carrying a long thin parcel. “You know I haven't looked at this for years.” He unwrapped the parcel, to reveal a shiny sword. He waved it round his head. “Never had much need or one myself. We are a peaceful folk.”

I took the sword from his hand as he was in danger of chopping off his own head and laughed. “This belonged to one of my toy soldiers. I lost it in the garden when I was a child. How fortunate is that?”

Before the King could answer both Larkspur and Willowby came back in. Willowby had dressed himself in green and grey. He would disappear once he was climbing the bark of a tree. Larkspur carried a parcel.

“I have wrapped up some clothes for Holly. She must change out of the Gown and then she can wrap it up so you do not see it. This is a blindfold for you to put on while she changes. She handed Willowby a scarf and a parcel. “If you can't manage the Gown, then leave it behind. I will turn Holly’s Ball gown into a Gown of Lights for her. That will have to do in an emergency.

“And I have this for you,” said King Adonis. “I hope you do not need to use it, but I would feel better if you had something to stick in the Jackdaws if it attacks you.” He handed over the sword

“I think that we could ask Mahonia and Juniper to fly you down to the Pear tree. They could fly you up to the nests, but that would be too risky. They might see the Gown or be eaten by the Jackdaws if it sees them.”

“Won’t they wonder what is going on? “ I asked.

“Yes, but they are soldiers and they will do as they are ordered.”

The two guards were called for and given their instructions. “No matter what happens you are to come straight back here. Is that clear?” The guards saluted and grabbed Willowby and flew off.

“Good luck, my boy!” I called after him.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:26:38 AM »

Chapter Five

Willowby to the Rescue.

The rest of this story I have written down as it was told to me by Willowby. He never did learn to write.

Mahonia and Juniper were good strong fliers and it didn't take long for us to reach the Pear tree. As ordered, they left me there and flew away as quickly as they could. I think they perhaps knew about the Jackdaws, but they didn't say anything. The King's sword was a bit of a nuisance so I made a belt from a piece of my rope and hung it over my back. It stuck out a bit over my head, but it was the best I could do. Then I began to climb. Pear trees of this age are simple for a Fairy to climb, as the bark is full of cracks and crannies. I hardly needed my ropes and hooks. Mind it was a long way up to the first branch and I was glad to sit and rest for a few minutes.

I couldn't rest for long. If the Jackdaw discovered that its shiny toy had something good to eat inside it then Holly would be killed. I carried on climbing.  When I reached half way up the tree I needed to rest again. There were no branches, so I wedged myself in a deep crack to catch my breath.

It was a mistake. The crack was not empty, a large black beetle sat in it. Its antenna waved in my direction. Then, it decided I was good to eat. It levered itself up the crack towards me. I inched myself upwards away from it, but the crack ended. I had nowhere to go. I tried to reach for the sword from where I had slung it on my back, but it was jammed against the bark. I couldn't get it free. The beetle reared up ready to snatch me in its jaws. I confess I shut my eyes and said, “I am sorry Holly!”

There was a sudden rush of wings and a heavy thud on the tree next to where I was hiding. I opened my eyes to see what this new danger could be.  The beetle crouched down, but it was no good, the bird had seen it and with a snap of its beak, the beetle was gone. I kept very still fearing that I had gone from the jaws of a beetle to the beak of a bird. I can only think that my grey and green clothes confused it, for the woodpecker, which is what the bird was, pecked for a few seconds all round me, then flew away.

Birds are one of the greatest dangers to us Fairies after shrews and rats, but I have to say I was never so pleased to see one as I was then, especially now that it had flown away.

After a few moments rest while my heart went back to beating normally I carried on climbing. Nothing else attacked me and eventually, very much out of breath and with sore hands and aching shoulders I reached the branches where the Jackdaws nested.

There were three nests on this branch and four more on another one. I hope Holly was in one of the ones on this branch. Fortunately three were no birds to be seen or heard. I shouted “Holly.” There was no answer. Now Fairies are only small so we do not have loud voices, but we have learned another way of keeping in touch over long distances. We have a very, very loud whistle. The Professor tells me that humans can't hear it, but we can. We have a whistled language, which all Fairies learn at school.

I will translate for you, but please understand this conversation was not in words.

“Princess Holly, please answer if you can. It is me, Willowby.

“Willowby?”

The whistle was faint and it sounded as if she was holding back tears.

“Yes, are you hurt?”

“Oh, Willowby, it is good to hear you. No, but I am stuck. The Jackdaw has jammed me into the nest and I can't get my feet free.”

She really did sound very close to tears.

“I can't see which nest you are in, but I will find you as soon as I can. Keep whistling. There are no Jackdaws around for the moment. “

Holly whistled again. It was still faint. I stood on the branch, hoping no birds would see me. By sheer bad luck, I had climbed the wrong side of the tree. Holly’s whistle was coming from one of the nests on the other branch.

I knew I didn't have the strength to climb down to where her branch started and back up again. More than ever before, I hated that I couldn't fly. I unrolled all my spider ropes. Tied together they were just long enough to reach the other branch. One end I tied round my waist. The other I fastened round the strongest looking one of my teasel hooks.

I swung the hook round and round my head and let go when I hoped it was pointing towards the other branch. It flew across the gap and landed on the branch. For a second it stayed where it was then it slipped off.

I hauled the rope back up and tried again. This time I let go at the wrong time and the hook sailed off into space. Again, I hauled the hook up and coiled the rope.

Holly had stopped whistling by now. I hoped she was still all right.

I knew I only had the strength for one more throw. It had to work. I swung the hook round as hard as I could and let go. It went right over the branch. Gently I hauled on the rope until it was tight, the hook caught on the branch and as hard as I pulled, I couldn't move it.

I took a deep breath and jumped off my branch. Backwards and forwards I swung, hoping that the hook would stay stuck to the tree. At the same time, I started climb. It was hard at first because of the swinging, but when that stopped, it did become a little easier.

My shoulders ached and my hands were now very sore indeed. Sweat trickled down my face and stung my eyes, but I couldn't let go to wipe them. Nor could I whistle to tell Holly that I was coming.

After what seemed like hours, but can only have been a few minutes I reached the branch. Thankfully, I clambered on to it and coiled up my rope. When I got my breath back, I whistled. Holly answered. You can imagine how relieved to I was to hear her.

The sound came from the second nest. Quickly I ran along the branch. The first nest filled the branch, but it was empty. I climbed across and ran along the branch to the next one. The whistle was so loud it almost deafened me. I had found my Holly.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
   Chapter 6

Holly to the rescue.

“Holly!” I shouted. There was no need to whistle now.

In my excitement, I almost made a fatal error. It was Holly who saved me from being blinded and cast out.

“Willowby,” she shouted. “Stop where you are. You hear me. Stop NOW.”

I did as she ordered and remembered. I sighed with relief.

“I am wearing the Gown of Light you must NOT see me.”

“I have brought you a change of clothing. I have a blindfold. If I put it on and climb in, I can give it to you. Will that be all right, do you think?”

“Yes, but do hurry, the Jackdaws may come back at any time. “

I tied the scarf round my eyes and climbed up onto the edge of the nest. Holly gave me directions and soon I was stood next to her. The temptation to reach out and touch was very strong, but I was not sure that even that was allowed. I took the parcel from my backpack and she took it.

“Can you get changed?” I asked, hoping she could, as I didn't think there was anyway I would be able to help her.

“Just about. My hands are free, only my feet are stuck and when the stupid bird jammed me in here it burst all the buttons off the back. I will have to spend all night mending it if I am to wear it at dawn.” She sniffed.

There came the sounds of material moving and buttons being fastened, then joy of joys the blindfold was removed. My precious Princess was there by my side.

We didn't have time to spend hugging each other. The sword came in very handy for cutting the twigs that held her feet tight. All round her were the jewels and hung on a twig was the King’s crown.

Together we made a hole in the floor of the nest and pushed all the jewels through it so they fell down to the base of the tree. Holly put the crown on so it was not damaged by dropping down to the floor.

“You know,"  she remarked. “I do not remember here being this many shiny things in the Jewel room. “

“Perhaps the Jackdaw has stolen them from somewhere else.” I said

She nodded. “That is the last of them anyway. I have wrapped up the Gown so you can't see it. Can you carry it down to the ground, or do I have to drop it?

“Better not drop it; if the parcel bursts open then someone may see it.

“True. I can't fly with it. It is far too heavy. I will put it in your backpack to be on the safe side.

She did so,

“Now, “I said, “We really must be away from here. We have been very lucky so far. You fly home and get your uncle to send help to collect the jewels. I will climb down. They must not come and help in case the Jackdaws see them or if I fall and the sack bursts open.”

“No, I am not going to leave you alone.”

“You must, The Ball must have a Queen and even without this Dress you can do that. Please, I will feel much happier once I know you are safe. Fly very close to the tree and you should be safe. Oh and watch out for the woodpecker.”

Holly sighed and agreed. I watched her fly off, and then as I prepared to climb out of the nest to go along the branch, the Jackdaw returned.

Even now, I can remember it. I was so busy worrying about Holly I didn't hear it arrive so the first thing I saw was a black pointed thing coming out of the sky and a empty  hole in the gray sky next to it. I must have backed away from it. I found myself falling. It was so like my nightmares and like when I had them, I began to scream. I know I did, I could hear myself as I fell.

This time I didn't wake up with the Professor and Larkspur standing over me. I carried on falling until I landed on my back on something soft.

Whatever it was went up and own a few times. Then I realised I had landed right in the middle of a spider’s web. I couldn't move. Spider’s webs are sticky. Now I knew I was in real trouble.

I knew that I must not struggle as that is what attracts the Spider to its prey. Gently I reach up to try to free the sword. I couldn't do it.

Then, I heard the sweetest sound in all the world.

“I heard you scream," said Holly. “So I came back. “What do I do? The spider will soon come to see what she has caught. You are lucky she is still building the web.”

“Do not touch the Web for a start or you will get stuck. Can you get the sword out from behind me without touching the web?”

"I think so!”

“Good, but first you go to the edge of the web and shake one of the ropes which goes in to the middle. You do that until you see the spider coming towards you. It won't move fast as it will think you are dangerous. Then come back and see if you can get the sword.”

Holly went to the edge of the web and shook with all her strength. The spider stopped spinning and moved slowly towards her. As quickly as she could, Holly flew over to me. The sword was trapped between the web and me and hard to pull out. She managed to get it loose before the spider reached the place where she had been shaking the ropes.

She flew off and rattled the web from where the spider had come. When the spider turned and began to move in that direction Holly raced back.

This time the sword came free. Carefully she cut some of the strands of the web. It was enough for me to get one hand loose. The problem was that we were now shaking the web and the spider had turned to come into the middle.

Desperately Holly swung the sword over and over again, chopping at the strands which held me, narrowly missing me on a couple of swings. I said nothing. I thought it would be better to be cut than poisoned. We could both hear the spider hissing as it crossed the web. Fortunately, it was moving very slowly as the amount of shaking suggested that it had caught something big.

I stopped Holly from cutting the last strand, as I didn't want to fall from the web to the floor. It was still a long way down. That left me dangling in the middle of the now badly damaged web, but at least my arms were free.

“Give me the sword and fly away. I will be all right. Please.”

Holly handed over the weapon and flew to the edge of the web. I wished she would go home, but I knew that she wouldn't leave me to face the spider alone.

It was now close enough for me to feel its breath on my hair as it examined the hole we had made in its web. I didn't give it chance to discover me. I poked upwards with the sword. It was a good sharp point and it must have stung. It gave an angry hiss and ran to the edge of the web.

I pulled my self up on to the web and stood on one of the threads that had no sticky blobs on it. I cut the last thread which held me. Spiders are very clever they only make part of their webs sticky, so that they can move across it without getting stuck themselves.  Using these strands, I quickly ran to where the web was fastened to the Pear Tree.

Unfortunately, the spider had made her home at this point and there she sat, stroking the wound that I had given her. I hoped I could get past her without hurting her again. Fairies do not kill other creatures, unless they really have to, even when that creature is trying to kill a Fairy. They have to eat too.

The spider sat very still staring at me with both her black jeweled eyes. I waved the sword. She backed away. I walked on. She back further away. Then, she leapt. Not as you suppose at me, no, she jumped off the web altogether, spinning a thread as she went. She was getting out of the way of this nasty stinging creature.

Quickly I stepped off the web and on to the tree. Climbing down was much less tiring than climbing up, and perhaps a good job too, I was getting very weary now and my hands and shoulders ached. The backpack with the Gown in it was very heavy. No wonder Holly was unable fly in it.

She was waiting for me at the base of the tree. We covered the jewels with moss in case the Jackdaw came and took them back to its nest.

“We should not stop here for long. That bird may come looking for the jewels." I said.

Holly agreed. “Hopefully it is busy re-building its nest and won’t come looking for us for a while. “

“Now, will you please go back to the Nest? I know there are lots of things you have to do before the Festival of the Light. Get King Adonis to send people to collect the jewels. I will start walking, carefully. All right?”

This time Holly did as she was asked.

Mahonia ,Juniper, Spruce and Rowan met me half way back and carried me home. I was very glad to see them.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 10:32:16 AM »

Chapter 7,
An Adoption

Professor Hewletts takes up the story again.

Since there was little we could do to help Holly and Willowby, King Adonis and I spent the time searching for shiny things for the replacement Gown. We had to do this for ourselves, so that no other Fairy could even guess that the Gown was missing. It was not easy. Willowby must have scoured the whole garden in his search for things.

Larkspur could not use the things from the Gown that she wore last year. King Adonis explained. “The Gown is brought out from its hiding place at Midwinter and buried at the spot where the sun sets on the shortest day. We have to do that to remind the sun to come back again,” finished the King.

It took us all afternoon to find enough to satisfy Larkspur. It kept us busy, but it didn't stop me from worrying about Willowby. I had grown very fond of him over the last eleven months or so. I was very, very relieved when Holly flew home.

“Willowby is safe and on his way back," she told us. “Please can you send help to bring him home and to collect up the jewels? The Gown is safely wrapped up in his back pack, so no one will see it.”

Larkspur had to ask. “Did he see it?”

“No, we were very careful. The blindfold was a great idea"  Holly embraced Larkspur.” Thank-you.”

“Is the Gown damaged?” She wanted to know.

“Not much, the buttons have come off, but we can mend them in next to no time.”

“Good, now if you are up to it we really must start getting ready for the Festival. Can you manage?”

“I would rather wait for Willowby, but yes I know I have to do this. All I need is some Elf Gift and a quick nap and I will be ready for anything,” sighed Holly.

The two ladies left the Throne room.

Soon after that, Mahonia and Juniper brought the exhausted looking Willowby into the throne room.  They bowed to the King and left him there. Quickly King Adonis helped the lad to sit on the throne.

“I have delivered the Gown to the ladies,” Willowby said. ”And then they chased us away.”

“Did the guards have any idea what was going on.” King Adonis worried.

Willowby shook his head. “I do not think so. I said nothing and just pushed my backpack into the room. If they think anything it will be that I had brought more shiny things for Holly.”

“Good.  Now I think you need some looking after or you won't be fit enough for the ceremony at dawn.”

“Something to eat and a drink of Elf Gift will do me the world of good, but first I have some news for you both,” said Willowby.

I warned him, “Be quick or you will be asleep where you sit.”

“I remember what happened to my Nest,” the lad said quietly. I remember everything, even my name. You got it right, you know, Willow was my given name. “

I started to speak, but he held up a hand. “Please, let me get it all out in one go. It is very painful for me.”

I nodded.

“It was the Jackdaw which destroyed the Willow Nest. I think it was probably looking for nesting stuff. Certainly, there were twigs from the Nest roof in its nest. When it saw the shiny things it carried on pulling our home to pieces. Then it must have realised there were things to eat and so it killed everyone. I remember seeing its beak coming down towards me and one eye staring at me. Then the floor must have given way and I fell to the ground and was covered in twigs. That is where you found me.”

King Adonis asked, “But why did no one see the bird coming and give warning?”           
            “As you know it was the day after the Festival of the Light. Everyone was exhausted. Those who had been here for the Ceremony and the Ball had been up all night. Me and the other stop at homes had held our own party that had gone on until dawn. Everyone in the Nest was fast asleep.” Willowby went on.

A single tear trickled down the poor lad’s face. Irritably he brushed it away.

I asked gently, “Why did you stop at home?”

“I had no wings so I was still a baby and babies do not go to the Ceremony.”

King Adonis gasped and put his face in his hands. Then he gave a groan.

“What is it Sire?” asked the lad and myself together.

“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear,” sighed the King. “I had forgotten about that. Male fairies do not become adults until they get their wings. Until then they are classed as ‘babies’ even if they are as old as fifteen. And as Willowby has said, ‘babies’ are not allowed to go to the Ceremony nor to the Ball afterwards.

I was puzzled. “So, Willowby misses them. Does it matter?”

“Very much so, “went on the stricken King. “If he is not at the Ball then Holly can't choose him as her life partner. Indeed, she can't choose him at all, until he is an adult.”

“Oh no.” I turned to Willowby.

He looked terrible and burst into tears.

I drew a deep breath. “There has to be something we can do. Let me think.”

I walked up and down the room with my hands behind my back in my favourite thinking position.

A thought struck. “Forgive me, sire, but I have a few questions to ask.”

King Adonis looked up from trying to comfort the distressed lad and nodded.

“Am I allowed to go to the Ceremony and Ball.? After all I have no wings.”

“You are not a fairy and as the first non-fairy to live here I do not think any of the rules apply to you. In fact, I am positive the rules don't. Why?”

“Let me work this out. I can go to the Festival and Ball even though I have no wings, just because I am human? I must be clear on that point.”

“Yes, definitely!”

“Good, then the next question is. What happens to orphan babies usually?”

“They are adopted by childless couples and brought up as their own.”

“Excellent!”

“I fail to see how that helps.” The King was puzzled.

“So who decides who is going to adopt the orphan then?”

“Well, I suppose I do, “replied the King

“Even better. Then as a baby Willowby here needs to be adopted by some kind person.”

King Adonis smiled. “I think I see where you are going, but go on.”

“Well, I would take it as a great honour if I was allowed to adopt Willowby as my son.”

“Since the lad can speak for himself he has to be asked, that is the Law.” The King had a big smile on his face now.

He turned to Willowby who was still sat weeping quietly. “Willowby, you have only to say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to these questions. Do you understand?”

Willowby sniffed. “Yes.”

“Do you agree that you are an orphan and in need of adoption?”

“Yes, I suppose so.”

“Have you any other childless relatives who would adopt you?”

“No,” Willowby gave a sob.

“Would you accept Professor Shovelock Ellis Hewletts as your new parent?”

“Yes, of course, but….”

“Shhhh!” King Adonis put his finger to his lips.

I agree to this adoption. Willow of Willow Nest, you are now officially the son and heir to the Professor. I declare your name to be Willowby Hewletts of Honeysuckle Nest.

“I am honoured, said Willowby, “But how does it help?”

I turned to the King “If Willowby is now my son and I am human then that makes him human too, I think.”

“I wouldn't argue with that and I doubt if anyone else will either.”

“Then as a HUMAN Willowby can go to the Ceremony.”

“Exactly”

I turned to Willowby, “Cinders, you SHALL go to the Ball.”

Both of them looked puzzled. “Never mind, I will explain another time. Now let’s feed the lad and give him something to drink and then he can sleep until it is time to get ready.” I half dragged and half carried the exhausted lad to our rooms and tucked him up in bed. He awoke a few hours later and had something to eat. I rubbed some Elf Gift into his sore hands and on his shoulders. Then he turned over and went straight back to sleep.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
Chapter 8

The Festival of the Light.

I woke him up about an hour before dawn so we could get ready. He dressed, stuffed some breakfast in and dashed off to set up the ropes and harness for Princess Holly’s grand entrance. He said he felt good except for a bit of soreness on his shoulders. I rubbed some more Elf Gift in to them.

It was one of those perfect mornings. You could see from the sky that the day was going to be cloudless. Now, just before dawn, there were just a few wispy clouds high in the atmosphere. It was already light enough to see what was happening. The large hall was packed with Fairies. They had been arriving all the previous day and now they were standing in silence awaiting the dawn.

The big doors at the end of the room were wide open. As the first rays of the rising sun lit up the floor just inside, Princess Holly, The Queen of Light began her descent. The Gown was magnificent. She looked beautiful. As she began to descend, every body in the room stopped talking and kept perfectly still. If there was ever an occasion when one could hear a pin drop, this was it.

The descent was perfectly timed. As the Queen reached the floor, the suns rays reached the exact centre of the door. The light hit the Gown and Princess Holly disappeared into a ball of light.

There was a moments more silence, then from the centre of the ball of light Princess Holly’s clear voice could be heard to say “Dawn has broken. I declare the Festival of the Light open. For another second the silence continued, then the gathered people began to clap and cheer.

I won't even begin to try to tell you of the hugging, back slapping, crying, laughing which went on, as friends and relatives wished each and everyone else a happy Festival day.

Once the sun had risen over the top of the door, the Queen of Light left the room to change. Willowby came down from the roof where he had been removing the evidence of how Holly had managed to get down in such a costume.

“What happens to the Gown now?” I asked.

“Oh, it is hidden by the ladies somewhere safe and secret, until it is brought out again on Mid-Winters day. Even the Jackdaws will never be able to find it. Now, Father, let us enjoy the day. Holly will have to speak to everyone here, but she did promise to find time to be with us if she could. And, if not then we can always see her at the Ball.”

If you can imagine the best party you have ever been too combined with the best food you have ever eaten, with the people you most wish to spend time with, then that would be a poor second to the Festival of the Light. Just when you would think it could have got no better, it was time for the Ball.

If I could tell you what the Fairies wore I would, but my pen fails me. Even the plainest of them was more beautiful than you can believe, but Princess Holly was the most beautiful of all, or so Willowby told me. Personally I thought that Larkspur was just a touch better, but I didn't say so.

The only thing to spoil it for me was the way that he kept wriggling his shoulders as if he was in great pain. There was nothing I could do to help him. Every time I tried, he was whisked away by one of the Fairy maids to dance.

I did manage to beg one dance with Princess Holly, but only for a few steps before Willowby came and took her away from me.

“Sorry,Father, but this is the first chance I have had to speak to Holly all day.”

“Father?” I heard her say as he whisked her away.

The dancing went on until midnight when King Adonis, looking every inch a king, stood on the stage at the end of the Ball Room. The musicians stopped playing. He raised his arms. Without him having to say a word, everyone fell silent.

“Friends, it is the end of Festival of Light. The best I think we have ever had. Now it is time for the last dance of the night. Traditionally this is the Choosing Dance. Please will those Fairy maids who are here to select their Life Partner please go to the centre of the room. “

About a hundred Fairy women, led by Princess Holly went to centre of the room as requested. I was rather surprised to see Larkspur amongst them She had not danced with anyone person in particular.

One by one each Fairy Maid called out a name and to gentle clapping the Fairy boy crossed the room and stood with his love, until there were just two females left, Holly and  Larkspur.

Larkspur spoke.

“Professor Shovelock Ellis Hewletts of Honeysuckle Nest I name you as my Life Partner, “she said.

You could have knocked me down with one of the Jackdaws feathers. Of all the things that had happened over the last few days, this was to me the most utterly astonishing.

The clapping grew to an ovation. My feet obeyed the summons and I found myself stood facing Larkspur in the centre of the room.

The other couples were too interested in each other to take much notice of us.

“You do not have to accept you know,” whispered Larkspur shyly.

I couldn't turn her down. I took her hand as I had seen the others do. “I accept the honour you do me.”

To this day I do not know what it was. All I can do is describe it as an invisible rope that bound us together and I knew that we would stay together until one of us died.

That left just Holly. As Queen of Light it was her privilege to be the last to choose.

In a steady voice she said. “Willowby Hewletts of Honeysuckle Nest, I name you as my Life Partner.”

The clapping stopped and everyone turned to look at the poor crippled boy who had been called.  For a whole minute Willowby did not move. I thought that he was going to turn and run, for his face went white.  He shut his eyes and gave a sudden gasp. Then joy of joys, he rose into the air and FLEW to land before Holly.

Well, the cheering went on for ages, before the musicians could make themselves heard and the last Dance began. I think that only Larkspur and I kept out feet on the ground.

When the Ball was over, me, Larkspur, King Adonis, Holly and Willowby stood on the Roof Terrace watching the dancing lights of the leaving crowds.

“That must be the shortest adoption on record, “laughed King Adonis.

“I am sorry, Father, “said Willowby, “But I didn't know that was going to happen. I thought the pain was because of the climbing.”

“Ah, well”, said I. “All’s well that ends well.”

P.S. From Colin Ellis Hewletts. Warden of the Hewlett Garden Trust.

This document was found on a slide in the microscope in my office one morning at the end of August, fourteen months after my Uncle, Professor Hewletts disappeared.. I have no idea how it got there.

I had taken my daughter, Holly, to look at a butterfly wing which had been placed on the slide the previous evening.  She was so taken with the idea that there was a Fairy Princess sharing her name that she insisted on having the story written out for her.

It has taken me a little while to copy it all down and edit it into a, I hope, readable story. The Professor as a notable scientist added a large number of footnotes and explanations of Fairy beliefs and practices that did not add anything to the tale. I would like to think he would not mind. I will make them into a separate book.

If you visit the garden and you can persuade me that you really DO believe in Fairies then I may be persuaded to show you the original. It is kept in the safe.

The microscope is left with a slide in it in case the Professor decides to tell us some more stories of Fairy life.