Author Topic: Annuals sown direct onto border  (Read 3490 times)

NightHawk

Annuals sown direct onto border
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »
I didn't get chance to sow any annuals direct until very late May early June because the weather at that time was dreadful.

I had some successes and some almost failures.

All the calendulas (Pot Mariogolds) have been brilliant.

Nasturtiums, well they are so easy they will always grow, but I was not happy with the "Milkmaid" variety, a lovely shade of yellow as they were attacked right and left by aphids, until they were smothered in black. They looked that bad I pulled them up.

However the red variety Empress of India have been much better all around. Deep red and darkish leaves.

Disappointed in the Poached Egg Plant variety Meringue. Every bit of rain has battered them flat and they look a mess.

Finally the Nigella I sowed have started to flower. I had about given up on them.

I sowed two varieties of Cosmos, Purity and Sea Shell, but I sowed them in plug trays and planted them out early June. Only a few have started to flower at the moment but I can see lots of buds waiting.

This as a first for me, I had never bothered will annuals before, by that I mean sowing them myself :)

However although I sowed a few different times I had absolutely no success at all with Lobelia.

They would sprout and then die, I think I need to nurture them better than I did, I know Lobelia hates to get dry.

Lesson learned on them if I try again next year.

Finally the Codea Scandens (Cup and Saucer vine/plant) have grown really well once I planted them out. However although lots of growth no sign of any flowers as yet.

Watch this space  ;D

Kathy :-*

Offline Palustris

Re: Annuals sown direct onto border
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »
It is not something we have done for many years. Sowed a lot of annuals when we first started here, just to give some instant colour, but once the borders were planted up there was no room at the inn.
Congrats on the Cosmos, they are a plant I really would like to grow, but have never managed to get the seeds to germinate.
On the lobelia front, hundreds of years ago when I helped at a Nursery, the chap there grow them for sale, but he advised not pricking them out singly, rather taking a small bunch of them. Not that I have ever bothered, I dislike them rather.
The only Nasturtiums we grow are as 'sacrfice' crops to remove the black fly from the veg patch. They do rather attract them don't they ;D?
The Boss loves Nigella, but again they do not seem to like our situation. Glad you are getting to see some good results. :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »
Now, funny you should raise that topic! My wife asked yesterday why I dont grow any Cornflower any more!
They did very well with me, sowing in open ground.
The answer was - I was so behind (due to computer work) that I didnt have time to clear a nice patch to sow seed in time.

I used to grow a lot from seed, sown outdoors. Is it easier than the greenhouse? Depends on your garden I suppose. I used to mark a circle with sticks, and sow the seed inside the ring. The fun think about growing new things from seed is you havent a clue what the new seedlings look like. So, until I got to know my weeds better (and thats a serious statement) I used to compare what came up inside the circle with what grew outside.
That worked well, bar one - Myosotis Sylvatica.
What came up inside was exactly the same as outside. I thought the seed had failed.
Nope, my garden was already overgrown with Myosotis Sylvatica - best known as Forget-me-not (you knew that, didnt you) - self seeded everywhere. Once you have them, they are there for life. They are not a problem - they are easily removed, and you can leave well sited ones to grow and flower in-situ.

Another trick that worked well to suppress weedlings in my seedlings - I covered the planting circle with about 1in of peat or old compost.

Lobelia?
I love the stuff.
After many failures, I found they grow easiest from a late spring sowing. Early sowings had to be given protection, and they always ended up really spindly, collapsed and died. They need heat to germinate, then colder conditions to grow on. By sowing late, all the difficulties are overcome. I usually sow a large tray or two, keep them covered with a sheet of glass until germinated - then remove the glass and grow on.
Pricking them out. Singly? Well, I have to confess I read the same book and tried that. As Eric agrees, its Ridiculous.
I wait until the tray is full of foliage, and dig out clumps of the seedlings, and put them in 3in pots.
I use the upright varieties outdoors to fill "holes" in the front of borders, and in containers.
The trailing ones are good for hanging baskets, but I find them harder to grow.
The best upright Ive grown is Lobelia erinus 'Mrs Clibran' from Chiltern Seeds.
Read my notes here:
http://www.ideasforgardens.com/bestplantsl/top100gk.php

Good to see the results were good for you, Kathy!

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »
Eric I found the Cosmos did great :) I sowed two seeds to a plug (not the small size plug about 2 inch square)
And both came up. I just left them in the greenhouse I did not bother covering them.
I was copying what I saw on Gardeners World as they were/are doing a trial this year on whether to dead head or not and what if any difference.  I assume they will go back to this trial despite the departure of Monty Don.

Yes I had read about pricking the lobelia out in clumps. I only tried to grow trailing lobelia. I wanted them for my hanging baskets.

I forgot to mention I sowed some poppies direct into the border as well, only 1 plant has come up as far as I can see. One measly plant....Ladybird poppy. However this one plant has about 9 poppies on it at the moment and they have been in flower for longer than I expected.

These were all in the front garden. I wanted to do it on the cheap :) and no doubt by next spring the bed will have a lot more perennials in it.

I used both methods for the Calendulas I sowed some direct (so easy as the seeds are really big!) and some into plug trays.

I tried the "lets mark the bed where I sowed the seed" I used sand and it very quickly disappeared the first rain shower. I like the idea of the compost George :)

I mentioned at work that I was initially disappointed with the Nigella I sowed, looking very small until just recently. My employer says she has found them to be a hit and miss affair for her, so I am counting my blessings I have finally got some good results. I will get Laurie to take a picture at some point  :)

I forgot to mention I sowed some Dahlia seeds as well and I am pleased with the results so far. The Salvia Patens I sowed and had lurking in my fridge for 3 weeks were doing really well until I put them in the cold frame and the slugs/snails nibbled practically the lot. I managed to save a few...They took no interest at all in the Salvia 'Silky Feathers'...nooooooooooo they wanted the awkward to germinate plants >:(

So in a recap all in all I was impressed with my sowing of annuals. Well worth the cost of the seeds :)

Kathy :-*

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:14:44 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:10:26 PM »
RE:
They took no interest at all in the Salvia 'Silky Feathers'...nooooooooooo they wanted the awkward to germinate plants
Yip, c'est la vie
Actually, I've come to the conclusion that slugs are very good judges. If they like them, you can be SURE they are the best plants youve got.