Author Topic: The Ragdoll  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Palustris

The Ragdoll
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
The Ragdoll

Chapter One

The village of Othermoor was so small it hardly deserved to have a name at all. It was just a small collection of houses and shops on either side of the road. There was an Inn that catered for the few travellers who used the road that wound its way across the moors to the City far to the West. The shops were not like those you would find in a modern day town though. These were just the front room of a house. There were shutters that could be opened so that people passing by could see what goods there were to be bought. There was a Butchers shop and a Shoemakers. The shoemaker not only made the stout leather boots that all the farmers wore, but he also mended anything made from leather. There was a Smithy with a roaring furnace in the back. This was a good place to be on a cold winter’s day and was the meeting place for the men of the village when they were not working.

The last shop and the last building in the village sold all sorts of different things. Here the women folk of the village could buy ribbons, or a paper of pins or a card of buttons. There were other things on sale too. I suppose one might call it a junk shop. People would often call in with something that they no long wanted and after a few minutes discussing its worth, a few coins would change hands and the object placed on a shelf for someone else to buy. If you wanted something like a left handed bobbin remover, this was the place to go. Again there would be a few minutes discussion about how much one was prepared to pay, a few coins would change hands and both owner and buyer parted company happily.

The owner of this shop was a little old lady who spent most of the opening hours sat in a rocking chair, by her front door, knitting. As people went past about their business they would smile and greet her and she would smile back and carry on with whatever she was making. Everything in the shop was for sale, except for an old rag doll that sat at the other end of the counter to the old lady’s chair. It was an odd thing. Adults sometimes asked the price of the doll, thinking it would make a nice present for some poor child with nothing to play with. When they did, the old lady would shake her head, stroke the jewel she had on a gold chain round her neck and tell them firmly that the doll was not for sale. Children however, never asked if the doll was for sale. They would go to it, take one look and shake their heads and go play with something else.

On the first Sunday in every month, her sons who lived and worked in the City would come and visit, bringing their wives and children. Knitted garments would be handed over and more wool put in the old ladies knitting bag. The children spent hours playing with the things in the shop. They never played with the rag doll though. If you had asked them why they left it alone, they could only say, "It does not want to be played with." If you pressed them for more they would begin to cry. The old lady herself when asked about the doll would smile and shake her head and change the subject.

I suppose I should give this old lady a name, but like many grown-ups she had a lot of names. To her sons and daughters-in-law she was ‘Mam.’ To her grandchildren she was, ‘Nan’. To younger people in the village she was ‘Mrs. Forrester’. Finally to her friends and neighbours of her own age she was LP I wish I knew her name, but I was never told it. I am not sure that even LP could remember what her birth name was. She had been called LP for longer than she could remember. It began when her older brother, Flick, saw her as a new born baby for the first time. "Oh, what a little, perfect baby!" He had exclaimed. So, LP she became and LP she stayed all her life.

This then is the story of LP and the Rag doll as I was told it. It may be true, it may not be. You must judge for yourselves.

LP was born the youngest child and only daughter of a farmer. She had two older brothers and as often happens when a girl has no other girls to follow she followed her brothers. Perfect might have been her nickname, but she was far from it. She scraped her knees, she banged her elbows, she cut her chin and she bruised her shins doing everything that her brothers did. Whatever mischief they got up to, you could guarantee that LP was somewhere around copying them. Her mother’s frequent cry was. "Oh. LP, that is not the way a respectable girl should behave!"

In the end LP’s mother found some rather nice checked material that she cut and sewed into a doll. It had brown wool for hair, buttons for eyes and a rather nice embroidered smile. The finishing touch was a neat little pinafore, just like the one LP’s mother wore when she was baking.

"There,” she said to LP "I have made this for you."

LP was not an ungrateful child and said "Thank-you!"

I have to say that Doll, as it was christened went everywhere that LP went. Admittedly it was almost always dragged along by an arm or a leg or even by the hair and it soon looked very dirty and bedraggled, but she never left it behind. LP even insisted that Doll was tucked up in bed with her at night.

Everything went on happily until LP was ten years old. In the local town every year there was a Market and a Fair. Everybody from miles around went. There were stalls where one could buy anything from a pin to a farm cart. For the children there were swings and roundabouts. There were people who sold honeycomb and other sticky delights. There were acrobats and clowns. There were prizes to be won in all kinds of competitions. It was the prize for one of these which led to trouble.

Flick entered the Horse shoe tossing event. The idea of the game was to see who could throw a horseshoe and make it land nearest to a wooden pole in the ground. Each person had three horseshoes to throw. Flick had been practising every spare moment all year for just this occasion. He won much to LP’s delight. The prize was a piglet, a real live squealing piglet! At the end of the day, the family climbed onto their cart and drove home with the piglet grasped firmly in Flick’s arms. As it was dark when they reached home, the piglet was locked in the Barn and everyone went off to bed, well satisfied with their day.

Next morning LP, trailing Doll was up early. She had her glass of fresh milk and went to the Barn to see the piglet. There was no noise coming from the Barn so she opened the door just a little. Nothing moved. She opened the door a little more. There was no sound. She opened the door wider and went in. There was a startlingly loud squeal and the piglet galloped past LP and out into the farm yard.

"Ooops!" gasped LP and turned to give chase.

"Squeal!" squealed the piglet and ran through the yard. LP gave chase. The hens and geese and ducks scattered as the pair ran through the flock on its early morning food hunt. As quick as lightning the piglet went under the farm gate and set off down the Farm track towards the road.

"Ooooops!" gasped LP and went after it. She opened the gate though rather than going under it. Being a good farm brought up child, she carefully closed the gate after her before following the piglet down the track.
She reached the road just in time to see the piglet turn and run along the middle of the road.

"Oooooooooooops!" said LP and went after it.

Try as she might she could not catch up with the animal, but she had to keep on trying. Flick would be very upset if she lost his prize. So it was that LP did not notice that she had gone further away from the Farm down the road than she had ever been before and that she was no longer on a road across farmland. The hedges had given way to trees. The piglet had led LP into the Dark Forest.

If you knew half as many tales about the Dark Forest as I do, then you would know just how dangerous a thing LP had done. LP's luck was really bad that day for who should happen to be coming along the road, but the Wicked Witch of the Dark Forest. If you knew even a quarter of the things about her as I do you would be shivering in your shoes about now.

The Witch pointed a finger at the piglet and muttered something under her breath. The piglet stopped squealing and floated into the air until it reached the Witch’s eye level. If you had seen it and not been so frightened you may have laughed to see the piglet, still running, but with its trotters, five feet off the ground. LP caught up, rather out of breath. She did not realise immediately whom the tall woman dressed all in black was.

"That’s my piglet!" she said, rather breathlessly. "Give it to me!"

The Witch looked down at the panting girl. "I give nothing for free!" she said. "You must give me something for the piglet."

LP thought for a moment. She had nothing to give...........except Doll. She offered Doll to the Witch.

"That scrap of material is not enough. You must make a choice. Either you or the Piglet." The Witch said. "Make your choice."

"But the piglet is Flick’s. I mustn't lose it." wailed LP.

"Then the choice is simple. The pig goes free and you come with me. Or you go free and the piglet is mine."

LP sighed. It was her fault the piglet escaped. "Me" she said very quietly.

"Fair enough," said the Witch. She waved her fingers at the piglet that floated gently to the ground, turned tail and fled squealing back down the road towards the Farm.

"It will not stop running until it gets home," said the Witch. "Now you come with me." She made some more movements with her hand, muttered something under her breath and in an instant both her and LP were stood outside a small cottage in a clearing in the forest. "This is your home now," said the Witch. "In you go!"

LP had no choice. Her feet obeyed the Witch and took her into the Cottage.

We will leave LP there for a moment. Back at the Farm once it was realised that LP was missing, there was pandemonium. All the farm people were organised into search parties. They searched the farm, the fields and followed the road down towards the town and up into the Dark Forest. Of LP there was no sign and no one had seen or heard anything. When the piglet came squealing along the road from the Forest, people looked at each other and shook their heads. If LP had followed the piglet there, then they would never find her.

Sadly they made their way home. The Farm work still had to be done. Flick took a message to the King’s Foresters. They were the people who looked after the roads through the Forest. If anyone could find LP, it was they. They promised to search and search they did, but never a sign of the little girl did they find.

Flick refused to give up and every moment of his spare time he spent wandering the Forest paths looking for his little sister.

You may be thinking that perhaps that this Witch was like the one you may have read about who fattened up children to eat. You would be wrong. This Witch was more interested in having a house maid than a lunch. LP was set to work cleaning and scrubbing and dusting. The Witch was not cruel, LP had a bed that was quite comfortable and cosy, once she had got used to the spiders and bats that lived in the rafters and were not to be disturbed. She was given enough food, not as good as her mother made, but nourishing enough. There were even clothes for her, not good quality, but wearable.

She was allowed to go outside into the garden, but when she tried to go through the garden gate she found she could not take another step.

"Hah!" said the Witch. "You are mine now and the only way you can leave here is if I come with you."

Offline Palustris

Re: The Ragdoll
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
Chapter Two

LP put her mind to work on a way of getting home. She watched carefully everything the Witch did. LP thought about pushing the Witch into the oven as she had heard a story about some children who did that to escape. However, the Witch’s oven was rather too small to fit anything bigger than a large loaf of bread in it, so that idea was no use. Besides, the Witch had said that LP could not leave unless the Witch went with her and if she was burned to a cinder that would not be easy to do.

The Witch seemed to do much of her spell making after dark when LP was in bed. So, she made a hole in the wall by her cot so she could watch and hear what the Witch said over the potions that bubbled on the oven. One night when LP was watching, the Witch suddenly stood up right and went to the cottage door. Before anyone knocked, the Witch flung it open and said "Well?"

LP could only hear a muffled reply.

"You had better come in then!" said the Witch. A cloaked figure came in and sat on the stool at the end of the Witch’s work bench. The man took of his hat and pushed the cloak away from his face. LP could see him quite clearly. She was surprised to see that he was wearing the same uniform as the soldiers LP had sometimes seen riding past the Farm gate. She listened carefully.

"His Majesty needs some information. There is a body of outlaws on the North and we need to know exactly where they are. The King wondered with your special skills if you could find out?"

"I could, but why should I?" The Witch asked.

"His Majesty is willing to pay a reasonable reward." The man took out a bag and rattled it.

The Witch reached over and opened it and took out a gold coin. "Hah!" she said and crumbled the coin to dust in her fingers. A cloud of black dust fell to the floor boards. "That is how much use gold is to me."

"Oh!" The man sounded rather shocked. "What would you want then?"

"There is something, nothing too difficult, which I would like. In the Palace garden there is a Rowan tree. Now as you know I cannot go near those things. "

The man nodded. LP stored away that piece of information in case she ever needed it.

The Witch went on. "Under that tree are some toadstools growing. The Princess must pick those for me at Midnight and put them in this bag." She rose and took a small bag from a cupboard. "She must tie the string around the top tightly and under no circumstances should anyone open it. You may bring it to me tomorrow night and I will have your information for you."

"The Princess will not be harmed will she? The King would not allow that." The man sounded worried.

"I can promise you that the toadstools will not harm the Princess in any way whatsoever." replied the Witch.

"Now go, I have a lot to do if you are to learn where the Mercenaries are hiding."

The man wrapped himself in his cloak and left.

When he had gone and the Cottage door was firmly closed, the Witch gave a wicked chuckle and said, "The toadstools won’t hurt her, but while they are tied up in that bag, she will belong to me!"

LP was horrified.

She continued to watch as the Witch gathered various ingredients from around the room. They were mixed in a small bowl until they turned in to a thick green paste. Then she went outside. Moments later she came back in with a huge Barn owl floating behind her. It looked very odd as its wings were folded and it looked very frightened. The Witch smeared the green pasted on its beak and above its eyes. Then she stood back and pointed at the bird. She muttered something under her breath. The whole world seemed to stand still for a minute, and then the Witch disappeared. The owl shook itself, dropped to the ground and walked out of the door. LP could not see where it went after that.

She nipped out of bed and into the kitchen. Everything looked the same as it ever did, except for some black dust on the floor. The mixing bowl was still on the table. Some of the green paste was still inside. Quickly LP found an old jar and scraped as much of the paste as she could into it. She hoped it might come in useful sometime and it was the first Spell that the Witch had left lying around. LP turned to go back to bed and noticed a gold chain with a large jewel lying on the table. Puzzled she picked it up and examined it. She did not remember seeing it before. She held it up to the window to look at it in the bright moonlight. Quickly she put it back on the table. It seemed to her that she could see the Witch’s face in the centre of the jewel. She closed the Cottage door and went back to bed.

At dawn LP was awoken by a knocking at the Cottage door. She scrambled out of bed and opened it. The Barn owl was stood on the step. It gave LP a savage peck and pushed past her. It went over to the table and pecked at the jewel. The whole world seemed to stop for a minute, and then the Witch was stood there. Of the owl there was no sign at all.

"Stupid girl!" said the Witch. LP was sucking the peck on her hand. "Next time you get up and find the door open, you leave it that way, understand?"

LP nodded and got on with her chores.

That night the King’s messenger called again. He handed over a bag. The Witch held it to her ear and nodded.

"The Outlaws are camped in a valley on the west side of the Mountains, where the River Dote rises. They think they are safe there," she told him.

"I know it," smiled the Messenger. "They have got themselves in a trap, there is only one way out of that valley. The King will be very pleased. Thank-you." He got up and left.

The Witch took the bag and hung it on a hook in one of the beams in the ceiling. Next morning she warned LP that under no circumstances was she to touch the bag.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
Chapter Three

A few days later LP was wakened by another night visitor. She listened to the conversation.

"Well, well, and what can the Witch of the Dark Forest do for Bardan the robber?"

"There is a wagon train of merchants coming into the kingdom in a few days time. They have to come one of three ways. I need to know which one they are going to use." The man had his back to LP so she could not see his face.

"And what do you intend to pay me for this information?" asked the Witch.

"Any reasonable price." replied the robber.

"Hmmm, you could actually be doing me a favour, "said the Witch.”I know of those merchants, they are bringing me some rather rare and very expensive herbs. Find them and bring them to me. The package will be marked with a sign like this." She drew a picture on the table. LP could not see what it was. "Oh and whatever you do, do not let the parcel get wet. And just so as you do not think to cheat me." As quick as a flash the Witch reached out and snatched a few hairs from the robber’s head.

"Hey!" he exclaimed.

"Watch," said the Witch and twisted one of the hairs around between her fingers. The robber clutched his head and gasped. “That is agony!"

"You get the hair back when I get the herbs safe and dry." sneered the Witch. "Come back tomorrow night and I will tell you which pass they are going to use."

The robber left.

Once again LP watched as the Witch made some green paste. This time though it was an eagle that followed the Witch into the Cottage. LP still could not hear the words the Witch used. The whole world seemed to stand still for a minute. The Witch disappeared and the Eagle went out. The jewel on the chain lay on the table. LP went and scraped the last of the green paste into her jar and this time leaving the door open went back to bed.

Next morning she watched as the eagle disappeared and the Witch reappeared. That night Bardan the robber returned.

"The merchants are sending three lots of wagons out, one through each pass. Two of them are just loads of firewood, the third is the one you want. That is coming through Snowbird pass tomorrow morning."

She held up the robber’s hair. "Just remember" she said.

The robber left.

Later one that day he returned with a parcel that he handed over to the Witch. She opened it and smelt the contents. "Good,"

"My hair?" asked Bardan.

The Witch handed over a hair and watched as the robber left hurriedly.

"Idiot" sneered the Witch as she came into the Cottage. She took down a small box and placed the piece of robber’s hair in it and put the box on a high shelf. "That might come in useful one day."

LP was cleaning the table. The Witch took the parcel of herbs and carefully put them into a large stone jar. She sealed the top with wax from a candle. She turned to LP. "Whatever happens no water must get anywhere near those. They stop working when they get wet."

LP was brave enough to ask "What do they do?"

The Witch smiled a very nasty smile. "One sniff of those and the person will do anything I tell them. And I mean anything."

A week went by before there was another late evening visitor. "This is a long way from the sea for a pirate," said the Witch as she let the man in.

"Aye, it is, but I need some information. My ship was damaged in a storm and it needs to be repaired. I need to know where the King’s ships are so I can do the repairs on a safe beach somewhere."

"And what do you intend to pay me for this help?" asked the Witch.

The pirate took out a small wooden box and showed it to the Witch. LP heard her gasp. The Witch snatched the box from the pirate and quickly opened it.

She snarled," There should be three small bottles in here, not two. This is no use to me without the third bottle."

"The third bottle is on my ship," said the pirate. "You may have it when I get the information I need."

For the third time the Witch mixed up her green paste. This time the bird was a very large seabird. LP did not know what kind. The world seemed to stand still for a minute then the Witch disappeared. This time though LP managed to hear the words the Witch muttered. "Out of me, into you."

Once again LP collected what was left of the paste. Her jar now was full but she had no idea of what she was going to do with it. Even if she managed to change into something she could still not leave unless the Witch came with her.

Next day the pirate returned and was told of a safe beach where he could mend his ship. He handed over the third bottle and left.

The Witch actually skipped back into the Cottage clutching the bottle. She put it in the wooden box with the others. "Idiot" she muttered. These three bottles are worth more to me than all the treasure that man has ever stolen"

LP was brave enough to ask "Why?"

"On their own, nothing, but mixed together, drop for drop, they make a poison so strong it can kill an elephant."

LP did not know what an elephant was, but she assumed it was big and hard to kill.

"Now these must be kept cool and dark. If they get too hot, then they are useless." The Witch took the box and put it in a dark corner as far away from the fire place as possible. "Under no circumstances must you move that box from there!" she warned LP.

A month went by before there was another visitor. LP could think of no way in which she could escape. She told Doll every night before going to sleep. "We will go home soon!" This time the visitor looked very much like one of the stall holders at the Town Market. LP listened and watched.

"We have a shipment of fine wine and cloth due to arrive tomorrow. The King has doubled the taxes on them, again." he said.

The Witch laughed. "What difference does it make how much tax the King demands, you smugglers never pay it anyway."

The man nodded and went on. "Trouble is that he has set his Foresters the task of catching us and they know the Forest paths and roads better even than we do."

"So what do you want from me?" asked the Witch.

"We need someone to lead them down to the south end of the Forest while we bring the goods in to the North. It has to be tomorrow night"

"That will not be easy. The Foresters are a very suspicious lot. They are only going to believe one of their own."

"True, but can you do it?"

"Oh, certainly" replied the Witch. "But what payment are you offering?"

The smuggler pulled out a piece of cloth, about the size of a small table cloth. He swirled it round. LP found it very hard to look at it. The man put it over his head and LP found herself looking at what appeared to be a pair of legs with no body above them. It was as if someone had cut the man off at the waist. The Witch snatched at the cloth and the man reappeared.

"There is a whole roll of this cloth for you if we manage to get through. I am sure you could find a use for something that made you almost invisible" The man sounded very pleased with himself.

The Witch nodded. "Invisibility spells are not easy to do, even for me. But how do I know I can trust you to deliver the cloth? Hmmm, let me see." The Witch walked about the room.

"You have my word!" said the man.

The Witch sniffed. For once LP agreed with her. From what she could see of the man, she would not trust him an inch either. "Aha! I have it." The Witch took a box out of her pocket and blew a pinch of the contents at the man. He backed away but could not help sniffing in some of the powder. He sneezed.

"Now!" said the Witch. "If you do not return with my cloth within two days, you will die.

The man looked rather frightened.

"And I think I shall keep this piece, just in case,” finished the Witch.

The man stumbled out of the Cottage.

The Witch closed the door and put the piece of cloth on the back of a chair. It was hard to see either chair back or cloth.

Once again the Witch made the green paste. Then she went outside. When she returned LP was horrified to see that this time it was not a poor bird that was floating behind her, rather it was a human being, in the uniform of the King’s Foresters. LP was even more upset when she realised that she knew this Forester. It was her brother Flick!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
The plot thickens :o
Lets hope LP can think of a way to escape from that evil witch!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
Chapter Four

LP did not know what to do, but before she had time to decide the Witch muttered and went out of the Cottage. LP heard her say "Drat, I forgot his horse. They will not believe him if he turns up on foot."

LP made a quick decision. She grabbed Doll from her pillow and the jar of green paste that she had saved. She ran into the kitchen. As she went she smeared the green paste on to Doll’s face and mouth, as she had seen the Witch do to the birds. She ran over and poked Flick, but he just stared straight ahead. Then there was just time to get under the cloth as the Witch came back into the room. The cloth was so fine that LP could see everything that the Witch did.

Green paste was smeared on Flick’s face. The Witch concentrated scowling fiercely as she worked. She was so busy she did not even notice LP creep quietly up to stand next to Flick as he floated in front of the Witch. As she said the words, "Out of Me. Into you!" LP thrust Doll between the Witch’s pointing finger and Flick and closed her eyes. She did not want to see what happened.

The world seemed to stand still for a minute. Doll grew suddenly very heavy and LP had to drop her. She opened her eyes. Flick was no longer floating above the ground, he was sat on the floor looking rather puzzled. Doll lay on the floor, but most importantly, on the table was a gold chain with a jewel attached to it.

LP dashed across to the table and picked up the chain and hung it round her neck. Next she picked up Doll and tucked it into her apron pocket. The feel of the doll made her shudder, but she ignored the feeling.

Next she ran to Flick and flung her arms round him.

"LP," he said, and hugged her fiercely. "But where, I mean what. I mean?"

"I will explain later, said LP, but first we have a few things to do."

She took him to where the bag with the toadstool in, was hanging from a rafter, well out of her reach. Puzzled, he handed it down to her. She undid the string and spilled the contents on to the floor. They watched in amazement as the toadstools slowly sank into the floorboards. They did not know it, but at that moment a long way away in the Palace, the Princess who had been having the most awful nightmares for weeks, gave a little sigh, turned over and went to sleep properly.

Next LP made Flick drag the box with the three bottles in over to the fire. They opened the bottles one at a time and poured the fine powder from each onto the flames. Each burned fiercely for a few seconds. The fire went out as the powder from the final bottle burned away.

Next they took down the sealed jar and opened it up. The contents they poured down the Well in the garden. For a few moments the water fizzed then settled down to its normal stillness. As they watched there was a strange creaking noise from behind them. They turned and watched as the Witches Cottage began to fall down. It went slowly at first then faster until there was nothing left, but a heap of rubble.

All the time LP was explaining to Flick what had been going on. She talked so fast that he could hardly understand half of it. Finally LP said. "We must leave now before anything else happens, but I may not be able to come with you. The Witch said I could only leave if she came with me. But no matter what you must go and tell the Foresters that the Smugglers are bringing their things in along the North Road tomorrow night."

Flick wanted to argue, but LP would not let him. He took hold of the reins of his horse and LP’s hand in the other. They walked towards the garden gate. Flick opened it and holding her breath and with her eyes tight shut LP walked through and out into the Forest.

There is little else to tell. The scenes when LP arrived at the Farm were all that you would expect. Flick gained much praise for helping catch a band of smugglers. A well known shopkeeper in the town died suddenly for no apparent reason. Rumours spread that here was no longer a Wicked Witch in the Dark Forest, though the place was still dangerous.

LP lived happily ever after. Wherever she went she always wore a golden chain with a jewel on it and Doll went with her. She eventually married a Dan Forrester, a good man. When he died she opened a shop in the Village of Othermore where she sold all sorts of little things, but never the Ragdoll that sat on the end of the Counter.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »
Excellent, Eric :)

I can see that your stories need a lot of detailed planning and no doubt many hours of pondering over your own brainwaves to sew the threads of the material together.
I like how the importance of the proximity of the rag doll was revealed in the last chapter.