Author Topic: The Gardener's Boy  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Palustris

The Gardener's Boy
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
The Gardener's Boy

Chapter One

The Gardener's Boy

The Kingdom of Bolonia lay on the edge of the Dark Forest. The King lived in a very pretty palace surrounded by small, but very nice and well cared for gardens. An old gardener and a boy looked after the gardens. The boy's name was Albert. He seemed to be rather stupid. Amongst the many silly things that he did was to plant the daffodil bulbs upside down. Another time he pulled up the flowers and left the weeds. However, he tried very hard and was a pleasant lad. Everyone liked him and so his mistakes did not cost him his job.

In the palace the King lived with his only daughter, Princess Esme, a beautiful girl who was in love with the gardener’s boy. He was in love with her. In fact, many of the mistakes that he made were because he was thinking of her instead of his work. He knew very well that a gardener’s boy would never be allowed to marry a Princess,

One day the Princess fell ill, Doctors and Physicians came from all over the land but not one could find a cure. It was a strange illness that meant that every time anyone spoke to the Princess she fell asleep. It was very inconvenient really. When she was called for tea, she fell asleep. Her poor teacher could not give her lessons. Worst of all her father, King Haliman, had no one to talk to in the evenings.

In the end, in desperation, the King issued a proclamation.

"Any person who can cure the Princess Esme of Bolonia of sleeping when spoken to, will be rewarded by the hand of the Princess in marriage."

Albert, of course, was very interested when he heard the herald read the proclamation. If he could cure the Princess of this illness then everything would be perfect. While he was puzzling about it, Princess Esme came to see him.

"Don't speak," she said. "You must find the cure and then we can be married."

"How?" asked Albert.

"Stupid boy, yawn" cried the Princess and sank down on the path asleep.

While Albert stood and scratched his head, Princess Esme's ladies-in-waiting came and took her to bed. Albert had no idea how to cure the Princess. Then suddenly, he had an idea. Albert was an orphan. He had been brought up by an old woman whom Albert called Granny. She knew a lot about herbs. She might be able to help. He went to see her.

The old lady shook her head. "There’s no herb I know of which will cure this illness, you will have to find the Tree of Knowledge, and ask its advice." Albert’s ears pricked up.

"Where is the Tree of Knowledge?" he demanded.

"In the Dark Forest" replied Granny. "But,"

It was too late. Albert had gone.

"Stupid boy," she grumbled and shook her head sadly.

Albert had dashed straight off into the forest. He ran and ran until he was quite lost. Only then did he realise that he had forgotten to ask whereabouts in the Dark Forest he would find the Tree of Knowledge. He walked slowly on wondering what he was going to do when, in between two trees, he saw a light.

Now Albert was not so silly as to walk straight up to a light in the Dark Forest. Many strange people and things live in the forest. Albert crept carefully through the trees towards the light. It came from the window of a small cottage. He crept quietly up and peeped in at the window. In the room, he could see a table and a couple of chairs. On the table was a plate of bread and cheese. Albert’s stomach rumbled. He was hungry. As he stood looking in, not quite knowing what to do, he was grabbed from behind.

"Got you, you young thief," growled an angry voice. "Inside where I can look at you," it went on.

Albert found himself propelled through the door of the cottage. He was spun round and came face to face with an old man who was obviously very angry. He had a red face. Worse still, he carried a large stick that he looked ready to use. Albert shrank away. "Please," he gasped, "I'm not a thief," Albert stammered and blurted out the whole story.

"Humph" grunted the old man, "Well, now you are here, you can make yourself useful, sweep the floor."

Therefore, it was that Albert found himself cleaning the floor. He swept and swept until his arms and his back ached. All the while the old man kept up a string of complaints about how badly Albert was doing the job. When the floor was clean enough to the old man's satisfaction Albert had to dust, wash the dishes, clean the pans and lay the fire and all the time the old man criticised.

Finally, when Albert was more tired than he had ever been before, the old man allowed him to stop and gave him some bread and cheese. After they had eaten, Albert had to tidy away the supper dishes.

"You can sleep in that corner," snarled the old man.

Albert was only to glad to crawl away and sleep.

Next morning he was woken up by a rough hand shaking him.

"Would you sleep all day?" There's work to be done." It was the old man.

Albert protested that it was still dark, but he had no choice. He got up, cleaned the house from top to bottom, fetched water, chopped wood and all the time the old man kept up a stream of complaints. Eventually, Albert was allowed to have breakfast. During the meal, he got his breath back enough to ask about the tree of Knowledge.

"Oh, I know where that is," said the old man. "It's just down the road however, you’ll never get to it. The Enchanted Wood is always one mile away from you. N matter how far you walk towards it, the Enchanted Wood remains one mile away from you. Now that's enough talking, clear the table, wash the dishes and then you can start on the garden.

For the rest of the day, Albert dug, weeded, planted, hoed, raked and forked. He hardly had the energy to eat the meagre rations the old man allowed him. The thing that really upset Albert was the old man's constant fault finding. That night he collapsed into bed without a sound and slept.

Next morning he awoke early. He could hear the old man still snoring. Albert decided he would show the old man. He got up quietly and did all the jobs that he had been forced to do the previous morning. He did not notice the old man watching him. When the house was as clean as a new pin and the water bubbling in the pot and the breakfast table laid, Albert went outside to chop wood.

When he had finished he went back inside, on the table were two plates of bacon and eggs, a loaf of bread, a pot of honey and two mugs of steaming coffee. The old man had made breakfast, Albert was surprised but only said, "Thank you." He sat down and ate quietly. Before the old man could start complaining, Albert rose from the table, washed the dishes and went out to start work in the garden. He worked even harder than he had done the previous day. He did not notice the old man watching him from the window. Albert was so determined to please the old man that he thought very carefully about what he was doing and made no stupid mistakes.

During the evening meal, the old man announced.

"You've worked very will today; I'm going to help you." He gave Albert a leather jacket.

"If you wear this you will be able to get into the Enchanted Wood. Once inside you must take it off before you question the tree. To leave the Enchanted Wood you must put the jacket back on. Bring it back when you have finished with it"

Albert was very grateful, but the old man only told him to clear the table and wash the dishes. It was very difficult to sleep that night. Next morning he was again up early. He wanted to go straight away, but he was patient, did his jobs and ate breakfast. Then he asked if there were any more jobs that he needed to do. The old man seemed very pleased, but said that Albert had better go.

Albert took the jacket and went on his way. It did not take him long to reach the edge of the Enchanted Forest. He knew he was there for he could see a tree in the distance, which no matter how hard he walked towards he never got any closer to it. He put on the jacket. Sure enough as the old man had said, he could enter. Before long, he found himself in a small clearing. There in the middle was a small silver leafed tree, which tinkled softly as the gentle breeze blew through the branches. Albert was a little disappointed. He bad expected a huge oak or a towering pine. Still, he approached it.

Beneath the tree carved on a rock were these words:-

'Approach bold traveller. Questions ask but three.
For of knowledge this is the tree.
When questions asked are answered thee, Depart,
For then the knight will come for thee.'

Albert was not certain what it meant, but he put his first question, "How can Princess Esme be cured of the sleeping illness?"

There was no answer.

Albert was disappointed and puzzled. He tried again, still no answer. Even more disappointed he wandered round the clearing until he came to a clear mossy sided pool. He sat and looked in the water. Idly he skimmed a pebble across the clear still water. When the ripples cleared, he saw the old man's face in the pool.

"Take the jacket off," the face said and disappeared.

Albert jumped to his feet.

"Stupid boy," he thought and did has he had been told. He went back to the tree and asked the question again.

A tinkly voice, spoke. Albert was not certain where it came from.

"I know not the answer to your question."

Albert was disappointed. "Who does?" he asked rudely.

The tree did not seem to notice. "The pearl of wisdom may help you."

"Where will I find it?" demanded Albert.

"In the Southern Sea."

"How can I find it?" asked Albert, but the tree did not answer.

Albert realised he had asked three questions. Then he heard a thundering of hooves. He looked round, charging across the clearing was a knight on horseback.

Albert turned and fled. He dodged in and out of the trees, trying to escape the Enchanted Forest, but he never seemed to get any nearer to the edge. A bird on the branch of a tree screamed at him, as he ran past.

"Put the Jacket on."

Albert gasped in horror. He had left the jacket near the pool. He would have to go back for it. Quickly Albert ran into the bushes. The knight went charging past. Albert took his chance and ran back to the clearing. The jacket was where he had left it. It only took a moment to put it on, but it was long enough for the knight to return. Albert fled with the knight in hot pursuit.

Albert was finding breathing more and more painful. He slipped on a patch of leaves and fell. He lay there waiting for the lance. Nothing happened. Cautiously he sat up and looked round. There one mile behind him sat the knight on his horse.

Albert heaved a sigh of relief and slumped down on the grass to recover. After a short rest, he set off down the path. The old man's cottage was empty, so Albert hung the jacket on a nail and wrote a note of thanks. Before he left, he washed the dishes, chopped some wood and filled the kettle with water.

Offline Palustris

Re: The Gardener's Boy
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
  Chapter Two
The Pearl

Down the Great South road, he journeyed and a long and weary trip it was, until at last he reached the sea. He walked along the sand towards a small town. There was one problem that had been worrying him all the journey. Where did one find pearls?

As Albert walked along the beach he saw a fisherman hauling his boat from the water.

"Good morning," called Albert and went to help.

"Aye, it is," replied the man,” A calm sea and a light breeze, just right for fishing. If you've nothing to do perhaps you'd like to help unload the boat."

Albert nodded. Perhaps the Fisherman would know where to find pearls.

Albert found himself unloading fish, and a smelly job it was too. Then he helped the fisherman to hang up the nets to dry. They carried the fish into the nearby town and soon they had sold them all in the busy market. The fisherman invited Albert to stay the night. Albert was very grateful.

After eating some lunch, the fisherman taught Albert how to mend the nets, and showed him the rock pools where eels and crabs lived under the rocks.

The fisherman's face seemed familiar to Albert, but he could not think who it was.

At supper that night, Albert asked where pearls might be found. The fisherman laughed at his ignorance. "You find pearls in oysters," he explained.

"What's an oyster?" puzzled Albert.

The fisherman looked annoyed and went to a cupboard. He brought out a shell.

"That’s an oyster shell, pearls grow inside them. You have to fish them out of the sea, open them up and inside a few of them, you will find pearls. This is a pearl and he held up a small white bead.

"Thank you" said Albert.

Next morning, he went out in the boat and learned how to row, steer and fish.

In the afternoon Albert was free to wander down the beach. He saw the fisherman's boat and decided to go and look for oysters. He set off and when he was a little way out he cast the net as he had been taught. The net sank down and then Albert began to haul it in. He seemed to have made a large catch for the net was heavy. The side of the boat dipped alarmingly as Albert hauled the net over it. He was very surprised when a whiskered face appeared followed by a sleek shiny black body with flippers. Albert had caught a seal.

It flopped into the boat entangled in the net. Albert was not quite certain what to do and nearly fell overboard when it spoke.

"Don't stand there gaping, get this net off me," it barked.

Albert was so surprised that he did as he was told. It took a long time and did a lot of damage to the net. Eventually, however, the seal was free.

"Thank you" said the seal. "Sorry about the net," it went on. "It's my fault. I wasn't looking where I was going."

"That's all right," said Albert, "I can mend it."

"Good" said the seal, "Now what can I do for you?"

Albert explained that he had been looking for the Pearl of Wisdom.

"Ah" said the seal. "You won't find it round here. You will have to sail towards the setting sun until you can see the Isle of the Winds. You will not be able to get any nearer for the Isles are always one mile away from where you are. When you can see the Isles take this silver chain and throw it into the water. Then you can land. There, in a rock pool beneath a seal-shaped rock, you will find the Pearl of Wisdom. I must warn you that you must leave the Isle before the moon begins to rise or you will have to stay there forever. Also do not try to remove the pearl or you will be turned into stone. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to get on with catching my supper."

Albert took the silver chain from round the seals neck and thanked the seal. The seal slid gracefully over the side.

A moment later its head re-appeared.” Don’t forget about the rising moon."

Albert rowed back to shore. He hung up the nets and worked very hard repairing them before the fisherman returned.

Next morning they fished again and when they had finished, Albert asked if he could borrow the boat for the rest of the day. The fisherman willingly agreed provided Albert promised to return the boat in time for the next morning's fishing.

Albert set off, rowing in the direction of the setting sun. The wind was against him so he could not use the sails. He pulled for hour after hour until his hands were blistered and raw, and his back felt as if it was broken in two.

Eventually, he could see an island in the distance. He took the chain and threw it into the sea. He rowed again and in a few minutes his boat ground up onto a sandy shore.

Albert jumped out and pulled the boat out of the water. By now the sun was starting to go down. He set out to explore. In the distance he saw some rocks. He ran towards them. There was a rock shaped like a seal and below it a rock pool. Carved into the stone, were these words.

"Approach bold traveller
Questions ask but three.
This is the pearl all-knowing and wise
Questions asked and answered thee
Then leave before the moon doth rise."

Albert looked into the clear, still water of the pool. Resting on the sand was a large oyster shell. It opened to reveal a huge gleaming white pearl. Albert was about to put his hand in and take it when his eyes fell on a stone figure lying with its hand outstretched towards the water. He looked carefully at it. It was the figure of a young man. Prom the crown on its head Albert guessed it was a prince.

Then he remembered the seal's warning. This young prince had obviously tried to steal the pearl and had been changed to stone. Albert shuddered and looked at the Prince's face. He was a pleasant looking person and Albert felt sorry for him. Still he had his own problems. Albert put his face close to the water and asked his question.

"How can I cure Princess Esme of the sleeping illness?"

A thin watery voice answered from somewhere in the pool.

"You must make the princess sneeze with a feather from the Golden Cuckoo."

"Where will I find the Golden Cuckoo?"

"He lives on the highest peak of the Wild Mountains."

Albert thought for a moment about the third question. His eyes moved round the pool. They rested on the stone Prince.

"I wonder if I can restore this statue to life?" he said. He had not intended to say this out loud, but he spoke without thinking

The pearl answered, "You must bathe his face in sea water taken from the light of a moonbeam."

Albert had not really meant to have this as his third question, but it was as good as any other.

The mention of moonlight made him think about the seal's warning to leave before the moon rose. He stood up to go. He looked down at the Prince. For a second he was undecided, then, he bent down and heaved the stone figure on to his shoulder. He could only just manage to stagger down the beach to the boat. All the while the sun was sinking lower and lower.

Then behind him he heard a noise, he looked back, advancing towards him, its pincers opening and closing with a loud snap was a huge crab. Albert fled as fast as he could, with the figure. He began to regret bringing it, but the crab was too close to stop and leave it. He reached the boat, dropped the statue in and pushed the boat out into the water. The crab was nipping at his heels.

Albert jumped in and began to row as hard as he could, leaving the crab on the sand. The last piece of the sun was beginning to disappear beneath the horizon. Albert rowed as hard as he could. He did not want to be a prisoner on the Isle of the Wind.

Then a head popped up out of the sea.

"Hello," said the seal.

"Can't stop," gasped Albert.

"Look at the island," advised the seal.

Albert did as he was told and sure enough the Isles were far in the distance. He heaved a sigh of relief.

"You did not warn me about the giant crab," complained Albert.

"Some things you have to find out for yourself," said the seal. "Anyway you only just escaped in time, look."

At that moment the moon appeared, bathing the sea in its silvery glow.

"What about your silver chain?" asked Albert.

"I’ve got it," replied the seal.

Albert looked and he could see the silver chain back in place round the seals neck.

"Now," said the seal, "You had better wake up the Prince or you will never get the boat back to the fisherman."

Albert cupped his hands, took some seawater from the light of a moonbeam and poured it on the figure's face. Immediately, a pink glow spread over the Prince’s face and across his body.

"Excellent" said the seal and sank beneath the waves.

"Thank you" called Albert and turned to watch the figure.

It sat up and said, "The pearl."

"Careful" shouted Albert as the boat rocked alarmingly.

"Where am I?" demanded the Prince looking round him.

Albert explained all that he knew.

"You tried to steal the pearl," accused Albert.

The Prince looked shamefaced. "Yes" he muttered, "It was so lovely, I'm sorry."

"So you should be" said Albert, forgetting that he too had almost done the same.

"Can you row?" asked Albert.

"Yes, why?" replied the Prince.

Albert showed his blistered hands. The Prince sympathised and took the oars. There was no wind at all and so they had to row all the way back. As he pulled the Prince told his story.

His name was Egbert and he had been put under a spell by the Witch of the Dark Forest. The spell meant that he was unable to go into his own Kingdom without hiccuping constantly. He had, had to live with relations. When he was old enough to go he had set off to find a way to break the spell. After many adventures he had found the Pearl of Wisdom. It had given him the answer before touching the water had turned him to stone.

"I have to find my long lost brother," concluded Egbert. "I did not even know I had a brother. When the witch put me under the spell she kidnapped him, and he has never, been seen since."

"Did the Pearl tell you where to find him?" asked Albert.

"In the Wild Mountains," replied Prince Egbert.

"I have to go there too," said Albert. "We can go together."

"Why are you going there?" asked Prince Egbert.

Albert explained about Princess Esme.

Soon they arrived back on the mainland. They pulled the boat up onto the sand. They went to the fisherman’s hut where Albert’s hands were treated and bandaged. Both boys needed a good night’s rest.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:43:48 PM by Palustris »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
  Chapter Three
The Wild Mountains

Next morning they thanked the fisherman and set off for the North. In the nearby town Prince Egbert bought horses and supplies. During the journey the two talked and talked and soon became friends.

After a long hard journey they arrived in the foothills of the Wild Mountains. There were no towns and villages, only wild desolate lands. In the distance they could see the Mountains themselves. Tall, mist covered peaks, jagged rocks and high cliffs made both adventurers shudder at the thought of climbing in those forbidding heights.

They saw a building in the distance. It turned out to be an Inn. Prince Egbert suggested that they stayed there until they could find a guide, Albert readily agreed.

The Inn was warm and comfortable, the landlord, large and jolly, with a booming voice. He seemed familiar to Albert, but he could not place him. They had a good meal and sat in front of a large roaring log fire toasting marsh-mellows.

Albert asked the landlord, "Where can we find a guide to take us into the Wild Mountains?"

The landlord shook his head. "No-body from round here goes into the Mountains. They're afraid of the bears and wolves that live there. Why do you ask?"

Egbert explained that they had to find a feather from the Golden Cuckoo.

The landlord nodded. "He lives in the highest peak. As I said you'll find no guide, but I can tell you the way."

"Please do," answered both.

"Right" said the landlord, "After breakfast."

Next morning, after a huge breakfast the landlord called the two into the sitting room. He gave them each a haversack.

"You'll need this food," he told them, "For you will find nothing wholesome to eat in the mountains. There is a flask of water also. The only stream on your way is the River of Forgetfulness. Do not drink from it or you will forget everything and wander forever in the Mountains. The path is difficult to follow, but you must keep to it or you will get lost. The way is marked with stones, white ones shaped like skulls. Make sure you know exactly where the next stone is before you move. Now off you go.”

Prince Egbert was instantly out of the door, but Albert who had grown a little wiser and lot more careful in his travels, had some questions to ask.

"We are very grateful," he said. "But how do we get a feather from the Golden Cuckoo? And whereabouts on the highest peak will we find him?"

"Bless you," smiled the landlord, "You're a sharp lad."

Albert was pleased, he was more used to being called stupid.

“The Golden Cuckoo will find you. He likes visitors and if you are polite to him he will gladly give you a feather. He gets lonely up there and he'll be glad of your company. Now you'd better catch up with your friend."

Albert thanked the landlord again and turned after Prince Egbert. He was waiting by the path that led up into the Mountains.

"I've found the first and second stones" he said, "What held you up?"

"I was just making certain that I knew where we were going," replied Albert. "If I've learned anything in my travels it’s to take things easy and carefully."

Egbert nodded. "You're right. Anyway shall we go?"

They started up the path. The first few stones were about thirty paces apart. After that it became a game to see who would be the first to spot the next stone, and they travelled a fair distance up into the Mountains. By dinnertime they were well on their way.

They sat on the path to eat and rest. In the distance they could hear the sound of water. It must be the River of Forgetfulness. The thought of wandering forever in the Mountains made them finish their meal and hurry on their way. It was their eagerness that led to an unpleasant disagreement. They came to a place where the path led off to the left, but Albert thought that the stone was straight ahead. The argument led to blows and they decided to go their separate ways. Albert stepped off the path towards the stone. Egbert went along the other path.

Suddenly from behind a bush near the path leapt a huge black bear growling fiercely. Egbert took one look and fled after Albert who was standing next to a white skull shaped stone.

"I think I'll go this way," said Egbert, rather shaken. However, the bear did not follow them.

After that they took even more care to find and agree on the position of the stones. The agreement lasted until they came to a place where two stones could be seen, one to the left and one to the right.

Egbert said, "Right"

Albert said "Left".

Again an argument broke out. This time it was Albert who stormed away. He had not gone two steps when a huge grey wolf leapt from behind a rock and snarled viciously. Albert turned and ran back to Egbert.

"Perhaps you are right," he gasped. However, the wolf did not follow him.

By now it was mid-afternoon and they found themselves on the crest of a hill. The stones were easy to see, leading upwards towards the base of a huge peak. They climbed on. The way got rockier and steeper. By now they were very tired and it was only their hopes that kept them going. Then they could no longer find the next stone. They searched desperately but without success.

Albert threw himself on the rocky hillside on to a patch of wiry grass. "There are no stones anywhere." declared Albert and Egbert sitting on a rock with his head in his hands, agreed.

"You are right," said a voice, "There aren't any more stones, unless you start going down again."

Both travellers jumped to their feet and looked round. They could see nothing.

"But, it would be a shame to go when you've only just arrived and I haven't had any visitors for simply ages."

Both looked up and there sat on a rock was a beautiful golden bird.

"How nice of you to come and see me," it said. "I get terribly lonely up here in the Mountains."

"Why do you live here then?" asked Egbert.

"I have to," explained the bird. "When I lived down in the valley, people kept coming and pulling my feathers out."

Albert looked downcast for a feather was what he needed, but the bird added quickly.

"I don't mind giving one now and then, but it is rather cold when they are all pulled out."

Albert looked relieved. Egbert meanwhile was looking round. The bird noticed and asked.

"What are you looking for?”

"Is there anyone else here? I was supposed to find my brother in these mountains."

The bird flew up into the sky and circled round three times, then he landed.

"There's nobody in the mountains except me and you, and Albert."

The two looked at each other.

"Then" said Egbert,

"That’s right," said the bird, “Egbert, this is your brother Albert."

The two boys shook hands and laughed. "Hello brother" they said.

"Now said the bird, "I believe Albert needs a feather. Take one from my tail, but be gentle please."

Albert did as he was told.

The bird sighed and said, "And now I suppose you had better be on your way. It has been very nice talking to you. I wish you could stay longer."

Egbert had been looking thoughtful. "If you like company," he said. “Why don't you come and live with me? I have a nice tall tower with a room at the top and I can protect you from feather hunters."

"That's a very kind offer," cried the bird. "I believe I will, and now we had better get you out of these mountains before night fall.

With that the Golden Cuckoo flew off down the mountain. The brothers followed. Light hearts made for light steps and with the cuckoo showing the way the return journey took much less time than the c1imb.

Before nightfall they were being made welcome at the Inn with a huge meal, after which they had a bath and went to bed.

The next morning, the three set off on the homeward journey, leaving the landlord an invitation to Albert’s wedding. He said he would try to come. Prince Egbert's kingdom lay next to the one where Albert had been the gardener’s boy. Egbert was going to help Albert cure Princess Esme and stay for the wedding. Then Albert was going to bring his bride to Egbert's palace.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »
Chapter Four

Home Again

The journey was dull and uneventful. Albert discovered that not only was he a Prince, but that he had parents, Aunts and Uncles, cousins and relatives by the score. There was even a Castle which was normally the home of the younger son. It was all very exciting and a bit confusing. Albert did have one happy though as he said to Egbert. "At least Esme's parents are going to be happier about her marrying a Prince rather than a gardener's boy.

They passed the fisherman's hut, which was empty and left an invitation to the wedding. They called in at the old man's cottage in the forest. He too, was not at home, so an invitation was pinned to his fireplace.

Soon they arrived at the palace. Albert was amazed to see a long queue outside the gates.

"What's happening," he asked the last man in the queue.

"We are all here to try to cure Princess Esme," replied the man. "If you want to have a go, you'd better join the queue."

Albert and Egbert joined the queue.

Inside the palace Princess Esme sat in a chair, propped up with cushions for every time some one tried to cure her she fell asleep and had to be woken up. All the suitors had cures, pills, medicines, charms, magic bracelets, rings, spells and herbs. None of them worked.

After hours of waiting it was Albert’s turn. No one recognised him as he strode into the throne room. Prince Egbert had bought him a fine set of clothes and he walked in. He looked a handsome, intelligent looking young prince. He was no longer a dull and ragged gardener’s boy.

He strode up to the throne and bowed to the King. He turned to Princess Esme and drew out the golden feather. It shone brightly. Princess Esme looked at him with sleepy, bored eyes. He waved it gently on the very tip of her nose. The Princess took a deep breath. Everyone groaned quietly for Albert was last in the queue. He did it again. Princess Esme sniffed. Everyone sighed. A third time the feather was gently waved under Princess Esme's nose. She took a deeper breath. Her nose wrinkled up and she sneezed, very loudly. Everybody jumped.

Very quietly Albert said. "Good afternoon Princess." "Oh good afternoon" she replied.

There was silence in the throne room as every breath was held. The Princess did not fall asleep. Albert took her by the hand and led her to her father. He bowed low.

"Your daughter is cured, Sire, and I claim her hand in marriage."

All the people in the room clapped and cheered. They crowded round Albert slapping him on the back and congratulating him. Indeed the only person who did not look happy was Princess Esme.

The King called for silence. "The wedding of my daughter, the Princess Esme and this young man will take place tomorrow morning."

Princess Esme burst into tears and fled the room.

The King looked puzzled and rather upset.

Albert was quick to put him at ease.

"Permit me to speak to the Princess alone," begged Albert. "I am sure I can put her mind at rest, and if I fail then I will not force her to marry me."

The King could only agree.

Albert went into the Princesses room where she lay sobbing on the bed.

"I won't marry you" she wept, "I want Albert."

"Esme" Albert said quietly, "Look at me."

Princess Esme turned slowly.

“Who planted the daffodil bulbs upside down? Who pulled up the flowers and left the weeds? Who spoke to you in the garden when you said not to and made you fall asleep?"

"Albert" sniffed the Princess, "But how do you know?"

"I know because I am Albert," replied he, "Look carefully at me."

"Albert, you silly boy, you've changed."

When she had dried her eyes and brushed her hair, Albert led her back to the throne room. He father, the King, was sat talking to Prince Egbert and the Golden Cuckoo. Egbert was explaining the whole of their adventures.

They turned and smiled when Princess Esme and Albert came in. The wedding could go ahead.

Albert and Egbert were chased away while Princess Esme fussed about her wedding gown. Albert took Egbert off to look round the gardens and to meet his old granny.

When they reached her hut there was a surprise for them, for there sitting, with the old lady was a magician who looked familiar to both of them.

"Welcome home," said the magician and they went in. Albert’s granny wept happy tears when she saw how handsome he had become. Both Princes were puzzled.

"What's it all about?" they demanded to know.

The magician explained. "Many years ago, when you were one year old Prince Egbert and you had just been born Prince Albert, your father and mother asked me to keep an eye on you for the wicked witch had threatened you both. Unfortunately, she managed to put a spell on me and by the time I had escaped she had carried out her threat. You, Prince Egbert, could no longer go into your fathers Kingdom without hiccupping. Prince Albert had disappeared without trace. I found out that the only way to cure he hiccupping was to find your brother and that took a long time. Your granny can tell your part of the story."

Granny began. "One day as I was walking in the forest a black horse came dashing past me. As it did a bundle fell from the saddle. I ran to pick it up. Inside the bundle was a baby. I had never had children of my own so I thought I would take it home. I burnt the fine clothes he was dressed in and brought him up as my own. The only thing I kept was a little rattle with the name Albert on it."

Albert jumped.

The magician spoke again. "Your old granny saved your life, for the witch would certainly have killed you. However, it took me many years to find you. When I did I decided you needed an adventure to brighten you up, so I arranged it. I put the spell on Princess Esme."

Albert looked closely at the magician. "You were the old man in the forest?"

The magician nodded.

"And the fisherman, and the landlord," went on Albert.

"And the bird and the crab," added the magician.

"And the bear and the wolf?" put in Egbert.

The magician laughed, "Yes, I was all those, but you've got to admit the adventure has done you the world of good. And,” went on the magician, "I have another surprise for you. Your parents will be arriving later today to attend the wedding."

As you can imagine Albert was very pleased, he had found a mother, and father and a wife all in one day.

Egbert was pleased as it meant he could now go home.

Back in the palace Princess Esme hummed a little tune as she tried on her wedding dress. She was going to marry Albert. In the throne room her father the King was pleased, his daughter was to marry the son of his old friends from the next Kingdom.

All in all you would have to travel a long way to find a happier group of people.