Author Topic: The Blue Moosles  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Palustris

The Blue Moosles
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
May be a bit young for James, but be the first ever person besides me to read this very short story for a younger audience.

The Blue Moosles

(Moo as in cow and sles as in sausages in a pan).

James was staying for a whole week with his Granddad. He was so looking forward to it. His parents delivered him just before bedtime. They gave him a great big hug and told him to be a good boy and left. James snuggled down and went to sleep.

Next morning he was woken by his Granddad. “Oh dear” said Granddad. “There is something wrong with your face. “  He brought across a mirror and James looked. His face was covered in big blue spots. When he lifted his pyjama jack the blue spots were all over his chest too.

“We will have to get the Doctor,” said Granddad.

The Doctor came. He looked  at the spots with his stethalum and peeped down James’s throat with a spatulobe. He shook his head and sucked in his lips. “Oh, dear,” he said “You have a bad case of the Blue Moosles.”

He opened his bag and took out a large green bottle. “This will cure it in no time,” he said.

“Does it taste nasty?” asked James.

“I don’t know,” said the Doctor, “I have never had the Blue Moosles so I have never had to take the medicine.”

“Then I shall not take it either,” said James.

“There may be another way to get rid of the Blue Moosles,” said the Doctor. “You will have to ask if anyone knows what to do.”

James got dressed and went into the garden. The first thing he saw was a bright yellow rubber duck. “Hello, “said James.

“Hello,” said the Duck. “What is your name?”

“James,” said James. “What is your name?”

“I am the fastest swimmer in the pond so they call me Quickers,” said the duck.

“Do you know how to cure the Blue Moosles?” asked James.

“I have never had the Blue Moosles” said Quickers. “But I know someone who might be able to help. Take me down to the Bird bath please.”

James took the duck to the Bird bath. There was a green plastic frog sitting in the water. James put the Duck down next to it.

“Thank-you” said the duck. “James meet Hippy. We call him that because he has a sore leg and walks everywhere. Hippy meet James.

“Hello,” said Hippy.

“Hello,” said James. “Do you know how to cure the Blue Moosles?”

“I have never had the Blue Moosles” said Hippy. “But I know someone who might be able to help. Take me over to the Pond please.”

James took the frog to the Pond. There was a blue rabbit sat near to it. James put the frog next to it.

“Thank-you,” said the Frog. “James meet Flipsy. We call her that because whenever she tries to hop she falls over backwards.”

“Hello “ said Flipsy.

“Hello “ said James. “Do you know how to cure the Blue Moosles?”

“I have never had the Blue Moosles” said Flipsy. “But I know someone who might be able to help. Take me over to the Rose bushes please.”

James took the rabbit to the Rose bush. There was a purple doll sat there. James put the rabbit next to it.

“Thank-you” said the rabbit. “James meet Lucy Licket. We call her that because she likes to eat ice cream.”

“Hello “ said Lucy Licket

“I have never had the Blue Moosles” said Lucy Licket. “But I know someone who might be able to help. Take me over to the Summer House please.”

James took the rag doll over to the Summer House. There was a green teddy bear there. James put the Rag doll down next to it.

“Thank-you “ said Lucy Licket.” James meet Puddington. We call  him that because he likes to eat Rice pudding.

“Hello “ said Puddington

“I have never had the Blue Moosles” said Puddington “But I know someone who might be able to help. Take me over to the Patio please.”

James took the bear over to the Patio. There was a large yellow car there. James put the bear down next to it.

“Thank-you,” said Puddington. “James meet Carry. We call him that because he likes to take things round the garden.

“Hello,” said Carry.

“Hello,” said James. “Do you know how to cure the Blue Moosles?”

“I have never had the Blue Moosles” said Carry “But I know someone who might be able to help. Take me over to the Kitchen door please.”

James took the car over to the Kitchen door. There was an orange cat there. James put the car down next to it.

“Thank-you” said the car. “James meet Soggy. We call him that because he likes to lick himself

“Hello “ said Soggy

“I have never had the Blue Moosles” said Soggy. “But I know someone who might be able to help. Take me into the Kitchen please.”

James took the cat into the Kitchen. “Thank-you “said the cat. “James meet Grinny. We call her that because she is always smiling and she wears an apron and she is a grandmother”.

“Hello,” said Grinny.

“Hello” said James. “Do you know how to cure the Blue Moosles.”

“Yes, said Grinny.” I do.”

She took a large white cloth from her apron pocket. Then she got some pink soap from the sink. “This is Lovender soap,” she said. “It is the best cure for the Blue Moosles.”

She washed James’s face and hands and chest carefully. The cloth turned blue. Soon all the Blue Moosle spots had gone.

“Just one more thing, “said Grinny. “And the cure is complete.”

“What?” asked James.

“A glass of milk and a chocolate biscuit will stop the Blue Moosles from ever coming back,” said Grinny.

“Two biscuits to be sure then,” said James.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:16:43 AM by Palustris »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: The Blue Moosles
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:55:43 PM »
I think James will enjoy it Eric (and so will "Grinny" ;D).
James already knows how knowledgeable "Grinny" is in these situations :D :D (usually mucky spots ;))
Purely coincidental that the "Katz" knew as well???
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:59:09 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »
5 children and 7 grandchildren.....................

Believe it or not this story was written between going to bed and going to sleep and typed out after lunch!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »
I didn't know that Eric- nice family :)
Any gardeners in those generations?

A new meaning to the expression "A book at bedtime"  :D

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
4 of the 5 children, well into gardening, 5th would be if they had one!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
That's nice Eric! I'm sure you have provided inspiration and a solid foundation :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »
James and I read this tonight. James ( 8 ) read out loud and I helped a little here and there.
The repetitive bits were actually very good in that he could whiz over the words he knew (and grew to expect) and had a very good attempt at the words he didn't know and also the names of the characters (we stopped and had a discussion and a laugh about each one).
To my surprise, he even spotted your deliberate typo in this:
“Thank-you,” said Pudington. “James meet Carry.
He pauses, points to the word and says "There's a d missing in Pudington".
When I say I say surprised, I was REALLY surprised, because he leaves out quite a few letters when he's making up his sentences for homework ::)
That was a good observance test Eric :)

When we tucked him into bed, we had the "comprehension test" ;D.
'course Grinny was beside us and needless to say obliged with a wide grin :D when I asked him who cured the Blue Moozles.
I told him I would check him for Blue Moosles tomorrow morning ;D

Very educational Eric. Thumbs up from me (and Grinny) :)

We also finished "The Kingdom without a Dragon" this evening. I'll write up my glowing comments on that tomorrow (its time for the footie on the Tele)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:38:38 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »
No one else has spotted that error. That is the trouble with making up words, they are not picked up by the Spell checker.
You missed the other error though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:17:13 AM by Palustris »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
Indeed Eric - and you like to play with words in your stories. It must have taken you a while to get your document through the spellchecker :D