Author Topic: A touch of Topiary  (Read 4136 times)

NightHawk

A touch of Topiary
« on: August 13, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »
Have a wooden fence in the back garden covered in hedging.  Cleared most of it but left a little behind and used my secateurs to carve a name out of it - Kathy's Garden.

Then I got my branding iron and burnt more text into the fence underneath the topiary - Hampshire Happiness.

Here's the result -

Actually, NOT...  ;)

Just having a bit of gardening fun with Photoshop.

I started with an image of a panelled fence, then one of some foliage.  These were placed on their own Layers.  Then I created a Text Layer for the Kathy's Garden foliage effect and adding a Layer Mask and some Refine Mask techniques, Drop Shadow and Inner Glow effects I got the image of the hedge to form into the text shape.

I added a second Text Layer for Hampshire Happiness and using several different effects I got the 'etched out' effect.

The final result was achieved with Photoshop CS5, so if you wanted this exact effect you would need CS5 or above.  I haven't included the full Tutorial here for that reason, but if you have CS5 or better and want to try it I can post a link to the steps involved.

You could probably get something similar with other programs such as Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro, but you would need to experiment.

It gives a realistic result, so at times when you can't do any gardening then it's just a bit of fun, and you can impress your friends with your 'topiary' and other gardening skills  :D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: A touch of Topiary
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
I'm duly impressed Laurie - in fact, I might use that idea some time (provided you haven't taken out copyright ;D)

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
I'm always open to negotiation George  ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
 I wish I had more time to play with Photoshop Elements. Its not kids stuff, but neverless its fun for adults :)