Author Topic: Church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Lavenham, Suffolk  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Lavenham, Suffolk
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:04:14 AM »
I have just noticed that this will be my 1,000th post, so I will celebrate it by posting another Suffolk church. This time the church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Lavenham.

The late 15th-century rebuilding of most of Lavenham was undertaken by the de Veres at the head of a consortium of local families. The building commission was to celebrate the Tudor triumph at Bosworth, in which the de Veres played a part. The town contribution came chiefly from the Spryngs, wealthy clothiers whose arms, with those of the de Veres, are ubiquitous in the church. The alliance was later cemented when a Spryng married a de Vere, new money marrying old. The tower was begun at once in 1486, the year after Bosworth, and building continued through to the 1520S, by when both the Spryng and the de Vere who had begun the project had died. The Reformation brought work to a halt, with the chancel not yet rebuilt.
The tower dominates the overall composition and is almost as high as the nave is long.
Its pinnacles were never added. De Vere's porch is a superb example of early Tudor patronage: the doorway is crowned with the boars of the de Veres, a rebus from the Latin verres, a boar. It has been whitewashed, which seems oddly garish against the soft flint walls of nave and tower. Its niche contains modern statues of St Peter and St Paul.
(Simon Jenkins: England's Thousand Best Churches)

Yes, that’s Anthea on a pew

14th century Purbeck marble font which probably belonged to the earlier church.

This is one of the several misericords that I photographed.

I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Eric H

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:21:15 AM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Lavenham, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »
A momentous occasion Eric! Congratulations on your 100th posting! Wow!!

We are so fortunate to have you as a member and very good friend.
Very best wishes to you and Anthea :)

I am very grateful for your contributions to our forum Eric - its always a pleasure to read your interesting, inspiring and educational postings :)

A very good set of photos once again. I have to say I'm very pleased that Laurie has initiated this topic.
Nice to see the buildings which are worthy of the attention of a retired architect :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Thank you very much for your kind words, George. It is strange, although I have never met any of you, I do regard the regular contributors as friends. As long as I stay in good health I hope I will be able to continue contributing for a few years yet.

Eric H
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:21:50 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
It is strange, although I have never met any of you, I do regard the regular contributors as friends

That sums up my forum experience exactly :)

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »
A great landmark achieved there Eric.  Let's hope for at least another 1,000 posts from you  :D

More great photos showing off the architecture of this church to outstanding effect.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »
Thank you Laurie. I will try to keep going  :D

Eric H