Author Topic: Problems with backups  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Chris Bragg

Problems with backups
« on: December 02, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »
Hi all
I'm quite new to bank genie, but cannot see anything directly relevant to the issue I'm having on here or in the help files so hoping someone out there can assist.

Having successfully used the backup function (both full and quick) several times, I started having problems.

Each time I try to use it, I receive an error message and the program closes. The error log shows the following: Error number 1705 File access is denied [path]\accgrps.dbf for the most recent instance and banks.dbf for the previous many instances.
The error shown when the backup is attempted is "Operation cancelled - Files are in use. Possible reasons: Another Bank Genie session is running and is using the files"

I'm using the latest version of Bank Genie on Vista (Backup versions 491 - v9 and 481 - v7).
The program hadn't crashed prior to the first backup fail and I can see no other Bank Genie service or process running in task manager.
File protection is turned off; I can see no option (unlike the screenshots in the help files) to override protection.
I use BG on one computer only, the computer has a single user on it and so there are no issues with this and BG itself has a single user defined.

The backup will work if I select a different folder, but I can't keep on creating new folders each time I do a backup - can't imagine this would be required and it wasn't for the first few backups. I cannot go back to a previously used folder even after backing up to a different folder

Anyone got any suggestions as to the cause or the obvious thing I'm missing?

cheers

chris

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Problems with backups
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
Hi Chris

I cant recall having this problem reported before.
Ive sent you an email to offer telephone support on this.

You have the latest program versions and your Bank Genie configuration seems very straight forward.

Updated to say:
Chris has replied to my email. Due to his work commitments, we may not be able to have our phone call on this until Monday.
Meanwhile - has anyone else experienced this problem?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:02:07 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »
no problem  here george

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »
Thanks Phil :)

Offline barryl

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:44:39 PM »
No. I do use backup a lot on many different datasets on several systems.

I am using XP. Vista is known to have problems though whether that is relevant in this case I couldnt say.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:52:42 PM »
Thanks Barry. Hopefully it will be easy to resolve when Chris and I get to talk on Monday.