Author Topic: Stillingfleet Lodge Gardens York  (Read 5364 times)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
Stillingfleet Lodge Gardens York
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »
I'd wanted to visit this garden and nursery for years, and we finally got there on opening day this year. Well worth the visit :) Hoping to make a return visit next week, whilst the grandchildren are away at the seaside.  Wednesdays are free entry for RHS members, but they are also our regular babysitting days.

http://www.stillingfleetlodgenurseries.co.uk/

NightHawk

Re: Stillingfleet Lodge Gardens York
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »
Never got to visit these gardens when we were up that way.

The web site link looks very interesting, and it would be great to see some of your own more detailed photos when you revisit.

Offline johnryden

• My Garden on MyFolia
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »
Really lovely garden.  We managed to get there a few years back and intend to visit again - just never seem to get to it.  Bought a range of pulmenarias there which have done really well.  Highly recommended.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
I like it John. Interesting website and a very good catalog of their plants.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »
Really lovely garden.  We managed to get there a few years back and intend to visit again - just never seem to get to it.  Bought a range of pulmenarias there which have done really well.  Highly recommended.

I went with the intention of buying a few pulmonarias but came back with none!  We did however spend a small fortune on other plants, most of which we had seen in the garden looking good.  One of the most interesting finds, a plant new to me, which was covered in bees, was Petasites Albus.
http://www.ukwildflowers.com/Web_pages/petasites_albus_white_butterbur.htm

None of the pulmonarias were in flower;  in fact the lady who owns the garden was quite embarassed that there was so little in flower to look at because of the late season this year.  We still had a very worthwhile visit though and I'll try and add a few pics once I've had  time to upload them to photobucket first.  Having to do this is a bit of a time problem for me, but it seems to be the only way I can add photos here.  Most of my recent photos are already on Facebook, where also Stillingfleet Lodge has a page which has regular pics of what is flowering in the garden.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 01:27:50 AM »

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 01:34:36 AM »
Some more pictures from our initial visit at the beginning of April.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 12:43:47 AM »
We visited again last week.  I can't take pictures when we are out and about (I need to concentrate too hard on not falling over!) so I'm a bit limited to how many times I can ask Rog to do the honours, hence most of my pictures tend to be for personal reference regarding plants and their combinations rather than views of different parts of a garden.  Here's a brief glimpse of me in one of the small gardens around the house.

And in an adjacent garden....

This next one is just a tiny section of one of the long borders, taken because I particularly like the pink centaurea in the centre at the bottom of the picture.  I bought one for our garden, along with three other plants.  There were lots of huge clumps of hostas throughout the garden, used very effectively, and showing no signs of slug or snail damage!

There were lots of pretty things growing in the meadow garden, including several clumps of these camassias

and a few orchids

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 12:58:36 AM »
Here are the four plants I bought from the nursery last week:

Nepeta subsessilis

Centaurea hypoleuca John Couts

Polemonium Bressingham Purple

Potentilla Flambeau

Currently they are all potted up and dotted around the patio until I find the best place and time to plant them out.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 10:39:15 AM »
Great work by Rog at Stillingfleet and VERY nice plants you've purchased Trish 8)

I have Polemonium Bressingham Purple.
Of great interest - it came through trials by Paul Gooderham (NewplantGuy) - our distinguished member on our forum 8) - before being released by Blooms of Bressingham.
Heres Pauls new website:
http://www.gooderhamhorticulture.com/index.php

Ive had to transplant it from one location to another to see if I can make it "like" my garden.
Fortunately its a survivor! This year, in a nice sunny spot in Penstemon Corner it produced 2 spikes with flowers, but then I discovered the foliage was looking a bit tatty - perhaps due to the sunny hot spell we had just before I noticed it struggling :(
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:47:49 AM by ideasguy »

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:02:26 AM »
Oh that is interesting :)  I'm hoping it's 'easy' to accomodate.  I really want the variety I saw at Harlow Carr but this one was too good to miss.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »
Nice article
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/features/10596221.Garden_that_turned_into_a_life___s_work/?ref=ec

We've visited again since I last posted, just haven't had time to upload any pictures yet.