Author Topic: 3 new Flower Genie program updates  (Read 5483 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
3 new Flower Genie program updates
« on: March 20, 2008, 09:53:10 PM »
Ive applied all the latest tweaks to a number of Flower Genie programs to bring them in line with Ideas Genie Pro.
Mostly to do with photo lnking.

Note: If you dont have Flower Genie, you can download it here:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/dl/flowergenie-setup.exe

In GA030
Heres the most significant changes
1) When you choose to link a photo to a plant, screen FG030S03 appears.
You need to locate a plant to link to. You'll now find a new search feature on that screen.
You type a few letters, and click a new Search Within button
In testing with the Sherwood database (2708 plants) I was able to locate a plant very quickly with 3 or 4 characters.
If only one plant includes the letters you type, it is selected, ready for Linking.
A tip would be, enter text which is unique to the plant you are looking for (the letters can be ANY part of the plant name).
If a number of plants include the typed letters, you get a list. Either select your plant from the list, or type additional letters and reduce the list. It was so quick, I removed the old search option.
You can add a new plant if need be, as before.

2) Back to the initial screen GA030S01
When you are working with a folder, the program now indicates how many photos are in the folder and how many are linked.
The default option is List unused photos ONLY - thus listing photos which are unlinked - the object being that you keep on linking photos to Plants or Garden Areas until the list is empty.
When you click from the default to List ALL Photos, photos linked are prefixed with *** (3 stars)
Before, when you made a mistake, you could only recover and fix if you had created one link to a photo.
Now, theres a small list at the bottom of the list of photos, where you can see all links. You ca select any one link, and either edit or delete the link.
3) When you click the tab Find folders with Photos, you have additional options.
You can Calculate Usage. Flower Genie analyses each known folder and shows the Link statistics - how many photos in a folder are linked to Garden Areas, how many are linked to Plants.
If a folder no longer exists, it is identied.
If a folder is unused then you'll find more features when you click WW Selected path. You can delete empty or redundant folder links.
If you've renamed or moved a folder with pics, you can edit the path details, to match the new folder location.
The Get a New Folder button now starts at the level of the current folder selection.

FG037
Similar enhancements to photo linking described above

PLUS
When you edit a plant, you'll find a shiny new RHS button, and a BBC button, beside the Google button.
The RHS button does a search into the excellent RHS Plant Finder database. I use this as the authority on Plant Names
If the RHS website gives you a "hit" (returns a page with your plant on it) then the Botanical Name for your plant is perfect.
If not, you can edit the text in the search results screen, and find the correct name for your plant by trial and error.
I use it for plant name verification, for the Master Database. Very good for eliminating duplicate plant names - making that important decision - which one is correct?
If your plant name is correct, the RHS Plant Finder will show you where your can buy the plant (UK Nurseries only)

PLUS, Ive updated how plants are displayed.
Have you ever noticed how Cultivars were listed together, not merged alphabetically with species names.
If you have hybrids, have you noticed how the x (or cross) upsets the alphabetical listing?
Similarly, plants with var. subsp. were indexed in an alphabetical sequence which did not align to good reference books e.g. RHS books.
The new development deals with that (IG Pro already has this feature)

Heres the downloads:

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/dl/fg030-dl.exe
Now at Version 11

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/dl/fg037-dl.exe
Now at Version 36

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/dl/fg005-dl.exe
Now at Version 10

Please give them a go, and let me know if there are any problems.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:32:54 PM by ideasguy »