Author Topic: My Novel  (Read 13521 times)

NightHawk

My Novel
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:24:42 AM »
A novel - that's exciting!. Is this your first book?
My first one George.

I'm still in the early stages of coming up with a good storyline.  It will be a work of fiction, possibly containing paranormal, drama and romance, as these are popular genres with a lot of readers.

One idea is using the New Forest as a starting point, which already has a connection with real-life witches, so this could be a basis of fact to work on for additional research.  Getting started on a novel is more difficult than you realise, as my initial research has revealed.  You need to have strong characters, some good and some not so good, so you can introduce conflicts into the plot; interesting locations and good dialogue between your characters.

I only need to write between 50,000 to 110,000 words, with most print publishers preferring a word count of around 70,000 for the first novel.  No mean task, and not something you can finish overnight  :D

I've barely scratched the surface of what's really involved in constructing a novel (it could take a topic on its own), so these are just a few of the things to take into consideration.

I don't want to give too much away about my novel at this stage, but one thing I will say is that I will be writing it under a pseudonym  ;)  There are several reasons for doing this.  For example, research has shown that female readers are more comfortable with a female author when it involves romantic novels.  If you're writing a thriller or action novel, the gender is not so critical.  Kathy knows of several authors who have different pseudonyms depending on what genre novel they have written.
My pseudonym will be a closely guarded secret  ;)

I've got my novel-writing software in place - WriteItNow, which keeps all your information properly organised in one place.  You can then concentrate on your novel hassle-free  :)

So, on these days of extreme temperatures or cold winter nights when gardening is not possible, you'll know what I'll be doing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:23:44 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

Re: My Novel
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
Best of luck. I gave up trying to get my stuff published. they did not even read it before sending it back.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »
I'm prepared for that Eric.  In fact, the advice that most creative writing web sites give is not to get disheartened with manuscript rejections.

With perseverence, you may eventually find the right publisher.

If you have an Editor, then they can sometimes minimise your rejections by suggesting ways to slightly rewrite your manuscript to be more appealing.

I suppose that's all part of the fun of writing.  Every writer would love to be successful and get published, but many don't.

Anyway, I'm a long way off that stage at the moment so I'm staying positive  :D

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
Well I hope you don't get stuck, like what I am. I have had a story going round my head for ages, so I thought I had better get it written. I have managed the beginning and I know the ending and the way it gets there, but can I write it to my satisfaction? Can I heck.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:31:08 PM »
Well Eric, this is the place to tell us about it.

Maybe you'll get some inspiration from other people's ideas to kick-start your thoughts, or maybe something will just come to you by talking about it.

Best way is to start a new topic here for your 'book' and see what happens  ;)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 12:25:46 PM »
I have to say that the thought of sitting down and trying to write something without already having he story in my head, quite strange.  I have tried that before and finished up playing Patience on the computer with not a solitary word written. I suppose it depends on the way ones mind works. I need something to get me started, a title or a first line would do. The last lot of stories I wrote came from a challenge on another site. The owner put up 6 Story titles and asked members to chose one and write a short story from it. I wrote 5
When I was teaching I used to write a story for each class to show them how to construct a tale. The beginning for them was a single sentence. For example "The cat sat on the mat" A cliché I know, but if you apply the right questions to it, a story can emerge "Who, when, why, where, how what? " and so on.
I always used to feel sorry for the pupils when they were faced with an empty page and told "Write a story" At least the provision of a line gives a starting point.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »
Laurie and Eric, I am impressed! I haven't a book in me waiting to get out, I am sorry to say. Good luck with your creative writing. I was reading somewhere that you can self publish on Kindle. Perhaps it is worth exploring when you get to that stage.

I am the missing generation; my father had a tome published and my eldest son has published a couple. Anthea wrote a book which never got published but it can be read on a website.

The main thing is to enjoy it and don't worry how long it takes. My father took 10 years after he retired writing his book but it did involve a lot of research.

All the best

Eric

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »
Hi Laurie,
I just came across this website: -
 https://www.lulu.com/s1/paperbackuk_b/r/site?mid=~sem_ggl_lulu_brand_uk&s_kwcid=TC
I don't know whether it is of any interest. I thought of you when I found it. There  some reviews here http://www.ciao.co.uk/lulu_com__Review_5713997
Good luck with your writing.
Eric

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »
Thanks for that link Eric - I've bookmarked it for future reference.

You're correct in suggesting self-publication as an option to consider, especially as electronic book-readers are common place nowadays.
Both Kathy and I have a Kindle each, but other makes are also available.

Even J.K. Rowling of Harry Potter writing fame has now published her novels onto e-books.  She very cleverly got two bites of the cherry, starting with paperback publishing then going into e-books.  However, at first she was adamant that her books would not appear in e-book format, but I think she soon realised the huge market out there.

Anyway, thanks for reviving this topic Eric by showing your interest.

I don't have anything else to add to it just yet - I'm still in research mode  ;)

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »
Out of interest, did you ever finish your novel, Laurie?
I have managed to write the story I was stuck on when this thread began. And a few more. I am in the middle of a new one now and trying to type out a 40 year old one which I found hidden away.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »
And if you are not good little children I will post them all on here!

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
Not yet finished Eric - in fact, not yet started  ::)  At least not on paper, but plot and characters still rolling around in my head.

Other things seem to have taken priority over my spare time, but I'll get down to it at some point

Offline Palustris

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 10:23:48 AM »
I couldn't do that. Once the story is in my head I have to write it down so I can get rid of it.

NightHawk

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »
That's a good tactic to adopt Eric  8)

If I can use a great author's strategy here - when J. K. Rowling was writing her Harry Potter novels, she would write all her thoughts down on whatever writing surface was available to her at the time.  If she was out and about somewhere, e.g. restaurants, shops, she would use such items as napkins, paper coasters, cartons, etc., etc., to note ideas as they came to her.

The novel writing software I have, allows you to put all your relevant information into one place.  Characters names and traits, plotlines/sub-plotlines, research of any locations or events you wish to include, timeline or and any other thoughts that come to you.

I just having got myself into that frame of mind yet where I'm getting serious enough to compile my thoughts into a working scenario.

And if you are not good little children I will post them all on here!
If you're serious about your written work Eric, and you're thinking about getting it 'published', then I would not post it online just yet.  Get any copyright agreements in place first.  Obviously, if you're not that serious about that aspect of your writing then by all means give us a treat and share some snippets with us  ;)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »
Actually all my stories have been put on line a long time ago.  And with a copyright claim on them. Also have them all in the form of a paperback book (books actually) done by my son as a present for me, that too is dated etc.
Have sent things off for publishing before but no interest shown.  Not that bothered to be honest.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »
Doth thou wanteth to read a story or two?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
Yeth  ;D of course Eric :)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
Will do, now I have put my teeth in!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »
I wrote a lot of stories for my classes to help them see how to construct one. This is one of them.

The Kingdom without a Dragon

Chapter One

A Small Country
Somewhere along The Great South Road lay the Kingdom of Minisculia. If you had closed your eyes for a short nap whilst being driven along that particular stretch of the road, you may well have missed seeing the Kingdom at all.
It was not a very large country. It was just a narrow strip of land on either side of a wide river. The west end of the country was in the mountains where the river had its source. The eastern end was where the river widened out and ran into the sea.
Even if you kept your eyes open you would not have seen much. Minisculia was boring as well as thin. The river was just an ordinary bit of water, not very wide and only just too deep to be forded. It had no rapids or waterfalls. It did not flood and cover the plains with rich silt like some other rivers do. The bridge which carried The Great South Road over the river, was much the same as many other bridges. The boats which sailed on the water were very much like boats anywhere.
There had never been any important battles nor had there been any major disasters. The country had produced no great heroes or heroines. Not one of its kings or queens had achieved international fame. The people were much like people anywhere, most good, some of them bad. None of the good were so good they became saints and none of the bad were so wicked as to be spoken of in hushed tones.
The land was not very rich nor was it very poor. It was a pleasant place to live, if incredibly dull. The people who lived there liked it that way. The rest of the world left them alone to get on with their lives in peace. If the truth was to be told, the country only existed because it stopped its neighbours going to war with each other.
The present King and Queen were not as happy to be ignored as were their subjects. They did not want to go to war and conquer the world or anything like that. They just wanted to be remembered when invitations were sent out for Weddings, Christenings, Balls and such like things.
Queen Roberta felt most strongly about it. There was always something going on in the other countries. She read about them in the newspapers and got very upset. She would dearly have liked to have been invited to some of the Weddings. People did not mean to ignore them. They just somehow seemed to forget Minisculia existed.
Eventually King Simon could take no more of his wife's complaints. He decided that something had to be done. The fact that he made this decision after he had yet again not been invited to the Annual Kings Hunt had nothing to do with it.
King Simon sent for the Butler. Mr. Lawrence. He was also the Prime Minister and every other government official too. So little went on in the country it saved a lot of money by having one person do all these jobs. Mr. Lawrence was a clever man and usually had some good ideas.
"We really must do something to put the Kingdom on the map," said the King. "We have had enough of being ignored by everybody."
"But, Sire, we are on the map," replied the Butler.
An Atlas was sent for. The three looked through it. Sure enough, Minisculia was on the map. You could see it quite clearly, with a large magnifying glass.
"You see, your Majesties, we are on the map,” said the Butler.
"That is not quite what I meant," snapped King Simon. "We need something to make people look closely enough at the map to find us."
"And quickly!" snapped Queen Roberta. "There is a Wedding in Fortunia in three months time and I would like to be invited."
"I will do my best, your Majesties," promised the Butler.
The very next day he presented his ideas to the Royal couple.
"There is only one main road though our country. We could put up a road block and charge everybody to cross the River" That was his first idea.
King Simon shook his head. "That would probably upset people you know and we are trying to be friendly with them."
"In that case, we could build a Tavern by the bridge and encourage travelers to stop and eat. If the food was good enough then people would talk about it and the fame of our country would spread." That was the Butler's next suggestion.
Queen Roberta shook her head. "If might well work, but surely that would take a long time, building an Inn and so on."
"The Queen is right, you know. We need something which will give instant results. Though the Tavern is a good idea. We should have built one years ago." King Simon said.
The Butler was not finished. "Perhaps we could organise a Grand Fireworks display on barges in the river."
"Tried that, " sniffed the King. "We sent out hundreds of invitations, but only those who live in Minisculia turned up."
"Flower show?" the Butler persevered.
"Same problem," replied the Queen. "Besides these things cost money and we need something cheap. Anyway we do not want people to come here. We want them to invite us there!"
"That really does make it much harder, "said the Butler.
"What we need is something which will get into all the newspapers in all these other countries," mused King Simon. "Something that will make them sit up and take notice."
The Butler walked around the room with his hands clasped behind his back. He found thinking easier that way. The sad monarchs sat and watched him.
Suddenly he clicked his fingers." Got it!" he shouted. "What we need is a Dragon."
"I beg your pardon," said the startled King. "A Dragon! There is precious little of the country as it is without half of it being burnt up by a nasty fire-breathing Dragon."
"That is not quite what I had in mind, "smiled the Butler.”What I was thinking of was a tame Dragon."
The monarchs looked puzzled.
"Please, Your Majesties, "Leave it with me. I will organise everything. And I promise you there will be no damage to the kingdom," said the Butler
Reluctantly King Simon agreed to let the Butler do what he wanted. "Just remember that it should not cost too much as we will need to buy clothes and things, if your idea works that is."

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »
Book at bedtime, Chapter 1 read Eric. You've painted a vivid picture in that opening. I'm looking forward to the next issue :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »
Just how a good serial should work, Eric, I am now all in suspense longing to learn more about the dragon  ;D
Eric H.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »
Chapter Two

The Dragon
The following week the Butler told the royal couple that a Dragon would be arriving for an interview at 11 o’ clock on Tuesday. The rather nervous pair waited in the Throne room for the Dragon to arrive. The Butler would not answer any of their questions about the Dragon. He merely smiled and recommended them to wait and see.
The throne room doors were thrown open and the Butler announced in his best butler’s voice. "Your Majesties, the Dragon."
It is perhaps a good thing that Kings and Queens are trained to keep their faces straight, otherwise they may well have laughed at what they saw and upset the creature which crept in through the door. It was the smallest Dragon you have ever seen, assuming of course that you have ever seen a Dragon. It was not green and purple like pictures often show dragons to be, nor did it reek of fire and sulphur. Indeed, it was a rather delicate shade of pink and smelled of soap.
"Oh," cried the Queen, who if the truth be told, had been dreading this meeting. "Isn’t he sweet?"
King Simon whispered to the Butler. "Is this the right Dragon?"
"The only one we could afford, Your Majesty," replied the Butler.
"Well, in that case I suppose we had better get on with the interview then." King Simon turned to the Dragon. "Do you have any references?
The Dragon blushed a deeper shade of pink and took out a letter from a little satchel which hung round its neck. The Butler took the letter and passed it to King Simon. It was from Dame Little's School for Orphan Dragons. It said that Dragon number 731 was polite, hard working, house trained, very willing, but rather shy.
"Ah, I see." King Simon was not really sure what to ask. "Er....tell me Dragon.....Look here I cannot keep on calling you Dragon, have you got a name?"
A small purple tear ran down the dragon’s cheek and dripped on to the carpet as it shook its head.
"Oh, the poor little thing." Queen Roberta knelt down and wiped the Dragon’s eyes with her own handkerchief.
King Simon struggled on with the interview. "So, what do you eat?"
"Cucumber sandwiches and plums," whispered the Dragon, blushing again.
"That is a relief," King Simon whispered to the Butler. "At least he does not eat princesses or anything messy like that."
He turned back to the Dragon. "Do you breathe fire?"
The Dragon shoook its head and puffed out its cheeks. It blew a tiny, perfectly shaped, purple smoke ring.
"Is that all?" Queen Roberta asked.
The Dragon nodded.
King Simon shook his head. "I am not sure that this Dragon is exactly what we want. Is he Butler?"
Another purple tear rolled down the sad little Dragon’s face and it turned to go.
"Oh no!" cried the tender hearted Queen. "You cannot turn the poor little thing away."
"But my dear," protested the King.
"But nothing,” sniffed the Queen. She knelt down on the floor next to the Dragon. "You would like to live here in the Palace wouldn’t you?"
The Dragon nodded its head and sniffed.
"Then so you shall," smiled the Queen.
King Simon turned to the Butler and shrugged.
"Perhaps he is not as big and fierce as I had expected, but he is the only Dragon available, " replied the Butler. "I have an idea that might work."
"Well you had better go and make some cucumber sandwiches then." King Simon knew when he was beaten.
"Good!" Queen Roberta stood up. "Cedric can stay as long as he likes." Then a thought struck her. "You are a boy Dragon aren't you?"
Cedric the Dragon nodded and skipped around the floor.
"Well, I suppose that is that!" King Simon went and sat on the throne.
The Butler bowed himself out of the room.
Next morning the Butler came to talk to the King. "The fire in the Kitchen is smoking badly again, Sire"
Simon was not really in the mood for trivial business matters. "Well, call the Chimney sweep out then."
"Not yet Sire, not yet. I have an idea."
Roberta came into the throne room, followed by Cedric who was happily munching on his breakfast plum.
The Butler bowed to the Queen and continued. "What do Dragons normally do?" Roberta shuddered. "They breathe fire on things."
"And eat people," added the king.
"Precisely," said the Butler.
"Everyone knows that, "said Simon."But this one doesn’t."
"But he IS a Dragon which means that we can honestly say the Minisculia HAS a Dragon!" said the Butler.
The monarchs looked puzzled.
The Butler asked another question." How were we going to let the rest of the world know that we are having a problem with a Dragon?"
"Well, it was your plan," replied Simon. "I suppose you were going to tell the Newspapers about it."
Roberta was still puzzled. "But Cedric here is the wrong sort of Dragon. I mean look at him. He is definitely not the fire breathing people eating kind of monster that Newspapers like to write about."
Cedric was lying on the rug in front of the fire counting his toes.
"The corn field behind the Palace is due to have the stubble burnt off it today," said the Butler.
"Yes" replied Simon. "But so what?"
"I wonder if Cedric would like to do the honours and start it burning for us. I am sure he can be trusted with a box of matches, don’t you, Your Majesties?" asked the Butler.
Cedric nodded eagerly and blew a really superb smoke ring.
Even Simon could see that the Butler was up to something.
"Be that as it may, but what about the people eating?" he asked.
The Butler answered with yet another question. "How do you know when a Dragon has eaten someone?"
"Usually because they have completely disappeared and the Dragon looks full." replied Roberta.
"Exactly!" smiled the Butler.
"I am not sure I understand what you are planning," said Simon. "And I think perhaps it is better if we do not know, then we cannot spoil it. You had better go ahead and organise it all. I am sure you know what you are doing."
The butler bowed and left the room.
Later that day the field of stubble behind the palace burned really well in the late summer sun. At the same time two of the Palace chamber maids suddenly disappeared. The butler told them to pack their bags and go off on paid holiday to the seaside. They were not to return until they were told to do so by him. They were very happy to do as they were told.
That evening King Simon sent for the Butler. "Have you seen these stories in the evening newspapers?"
"Yes, Sire," replied the Butler.
Simon read them out just to make sure. "Minisculia ravaged by a fierce Dragon. The reporter tells of how the country is in danger of disappearing in flames and that half the young women in the country have been eaten."
"Very interesting story, is it not Sire?" smiled the Butler.
"But where on earth did they get the story from? I hope you have not been telling lies." said Simon sternly.
"Certainly not," sniffed the Butler a little huffily. "I did not need to. The reporters managed that very nicely for themselves."
"But there haven’t been any reporters in the kingdom," complained Simon.
"I know Sire, they could not find it!" laughed the Butler as he left the room.

NightHawk

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
Good work Eric - nicely constructed   8)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »

Chapter Three
Invitations
The first invitation arrived the very next morning. The Post Office was one of the few institutions which could find Minisculia, especially when it came to delivering bills.
"Simon, my dear, look. An invitation." cried an excited Queen Roberta.
"Oh how nice," said Simon, not really listening. He was reading the morning newspapers. There were further stories about the horrors taking place in Minisculia. This report claimed that the people there were having to live on boats in the river for safety. This rather puzzled him, as most people already lived on boats in the river, since there was so little land.
"It is from Queen Margaret. She wants us to go to a Ball tomorrow evening. Shall we go?"
"May as well, make the most of it while it lasts!" replied the gloomy king.
He handed over the newspapers which Roberta quickly scanned.
"Oh dear, what shall we do. They are sure to ask about the Dragon?" she wailed.
Simon sighed, "That is what is bothering me!"
The Butler entered the room with the breakfast tray. "Good morning Your Majesties. The postman has brought an unusually large number of letters today. I trust that some of them are the Invitations you wanted?"
"Ah, Butler, certainly there is at least one invitation," replied Simon, looking at the card Roberta was holding.
"But we do have one small worry about accepting it."
"Sire?" The butler sounded surprised. "I though the whole point of the exercise was to get invited to parties and things?"
"It was," replied Roberta. "But what do we say when people ask us about the Dragon and the damage and people disappearing and having to live on boats?"
The Butler smiled. "It is very simple, Your Majesties. Tell them the truth."
Roberta sniffed, "I don’t understand."
Simon was also puzzled. "I don’t understand either. If we tell them the truth then they will know it was all exaggeration and laugh at us."
"Will they? That all depends on how you go about telling the truth." explained the Butter patiently.
The monarchs still looked puzzled.
"We DO have a Dragon." said the Butler.
The couple nodded. "But!" protested Simon, "You cannot say he is the world's' fiercest creature. I mean, look at him."
Cedric was playing on with a ball of wool, for all the world like a large pink kitten.
The butler sighed. "If anyone asks you about the Dragon all you have to do is say that you prefer not to talk about him."
"Well, that is true enough," said Simon.
"And, " went on the Butler. "The field behind the palace has been burnt by a Dragon. I gave him the matches myself and watched to make sure he came to no harm."
"I suppose so, "agreed Simon. "So now explain these disappearances."
"Have you seen either Betty or Jane, the chambermaids recently?" asked the Butler.
"No, I was going to ask you about them," said the Queen.
"There you are then," said the butler in triumph. "Some people have disappeared. And before you mention it, people do live on the river in boats. All you need to do is tell the truth, shudder and say you had rather not talk about it."
The king and queen nodded.
The Ball was a huge success. Roberta and Simon were the stars of the evening. Everybody wanted to talk to them. Roberta had a wonderful time and accepted invitations to all sorts of Balls, Christenings, Weddings and parties. Simon found himself the centre of a group of rulers who wanted his opinion on every subject under the sun. It was a tremendous feeling.
As they drove home by the light of the moon, Roberta snuggled up to her husband and said sleepily, "The nice thing is that we don’t have to invite them back just yet. They won’t come until we have got rid of the Dragon and Cedric is far too nice to want to do that."
Chapter Four

Trouble with a Hero
Next day a small problem did occur. In the afternoon Simon was in the throne room dealing with the day's business when the Butler came in and announced "A Petitioner, YourMajesty."
A group of Minisculia citizens followed the Butler into the room. They were carrying a large roll of paper. The leader of the group bowed low and presented the roll to the king. He opened it and read "To his Royal Highness King Simon of Minisculia. We the undersigned respectfully request that the king take action to protect his loyal subjects from the Dragon which at this moment is ravaging our fair country." Underneath were a large number of signatures.
"But, but......." Simon was rather taken aback. "Have any of you actually seen this Dragon?"
"Not as such," said the leader of the group. "But there must be one. We read about it in the papers."
Simon looked wildly to the Butler for help.
The Butler stepped forward. "King Simon thanks you for your petition and assures you that everything in his power will be done to protect the citizens of our beloved country from the Dragon. Even now steps are being taken to see that any damage done by the Dragon is being repaired with the utmost speed."
King Simon’s eyebrows almost disappeared into hair.
The leader of the group bowed and said, "We are grateful to his Majesty for his kind words and wish him every success."
"Thank you. Before you go I do have one question to ask of you," said Simon.
"I am yours to command," replied the man.
"When are you coming to sweep the kitchen chimney?"
"Ah, well now Your Majesty. I have got you down for a fortnight on Tuesday." The leader of the group was indeed the Chimney sweep.
"Well, I hope so. Now just go away and leave it to me."
The group backed out of the room and the Butler closed the doors behind them.
"Well?" asked Simon when they were safely out of earshot. "What do we do now? And how could you tell such a great big fib?"
"What fib?"
"The one about repairing the damage done by the Dragon," said the King
"That was no fib. I looked out of the window and the gardener is replanting the rose bushes that Cedric dug up yesterday," said the Butler
"Oh!" replied the King.
"As to what to do, we issue a Proclamation," finished the Butler.
"Saying what?” asked Simon.
"Oh, the usual, you know. ‘Whosoever riddeth the kingdom of the Dragon shall receive half of the kingdom as reward.’ That one," said the Butler.
"Hang on, the place is small enough as it is without giving half of it away," protested Simon.
"We won’t have to, "said the Butler. "One. No right minded person is going to fight a Dragon for such a small reward and Two. We do not want to actually get rid of the Dragon anyway."
Simon gave a great big sigh. This was getting very complicated. "You had better go ahead and issue the Proclamation then."
The next month was very busy. The King and Queen were out almost every night enjoying themselves. Quite a few would be heroes came, but as the Butler said none of them were willing to fight a Dragon for such a small reward. The locals went back to their boats and since there were no more fires and no more disappearances, they were not unhappy, Indeed, the only sign of the Dragon was the smoke from somewhere in the palace. The chimney sweep had not yet managed to sweep the kitchen chimney.
However, at the end of the month it happened. A hero came who was not in his right mind and did not care about the size of the reward. In fact he offered to do the job for no reward at all. He just wanted to fight a Dragon to impress his girlfriend.
"It is not a very big one!" said King Simon to the would-be hero, Sir Roger de Masham.
"All the better then Sire," he said. "I am a bit nervous about the whole thing. It may be better to start off with something small." He pushed his glasses up his nose and smiled at the King.
"Yes, I suppose so. The Butler will show you to your room. You look as if you have had a long and weary journey."
"Thank-you Sire. Yes it was a long journey. I had terrible trouble finding the place. I kept falling asleep in the coach and driving straight through," said Sir Roger
The Butler came in.
"Ah, show Sir Roger to a guest room. He has come to kill the Dragon for us, "ordered Simon. "Then come back here, I wish to talk to you."
The Butler bowed and led Sir Roger from the room.
Simon sat tapping his fingers on the arm of the throne until the Butler returned.
"Well," said the Butler. "This is a bit of a problem, but do not concern yourself you majesty, I will think of something."
"You had better." Simon was almost frantic with worry. "The queen would never speak to either of us again if that.... idiot..... killed Cedric."
"I do not think it will come to that," soothed the Butler.
"Well, whatever you do, I don’t want to know about it," said Simon. "Just find a way to get rid of that clown upstairs without him hurting Cedric."
The butler bowed himself out of the room. He was beginning to wish he had never thought of the idea in the first place.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
Brilliant, Eric ;D
I'm loving this! A chapter at a time to read over a cup of coffee :D
Cant help bursting into laughter in nearly every paragraph as this classic unravels. Its packed with brilliant flashes of hilarity and imagination.

I'm printing it off as we go along and will read it to the kids. Might be a bit subtle for the younger ones :)
What was your target age range?
James (now aged 8 ) has now read Chapter 1 of The Kingdom without a Dragon.
What is your nom de plume?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:26:24 PM by ideasguy »