Author Topic: Radcot House, Oxfordshire  (Read 9655 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Radcot House, Oxfordshire
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:16:13 PM »
On Sunday, which promised to be a nice day, Anthea had a desire to visit a garden. I Googled to see whether there were any gardens open under the National Gardens Scheme. Being rather late in the year there were none in Buckinghamshire, and only two in Oxfordshire, one of which was Radcot House on the road between Witney and Farringdon. The house itself was 17th century, and rather attractive, I thought.

The forum has been very quiet the last few days, the holiday season perhaps, so I thought I would post some shots without comment or description but which might give an idea of the place

6 Cotinus coggygria (purple bush on left) identified by George

12 Echinacea purpurea identified by George

13 Echinacea purpurea "White  Swan"(?) identified by George

24 Agapanthus

25 Agapanthus

29 Gaura lindheimeri identified by George

30 Salvia argentea identified by George

I hope you have enjoyed the visit.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:32:34 AM by Eric Hardy »

NightHawk

Re: Radcot House, Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
I most certainly did enjoy the visit Eric, thanks for posting those photos.

I hadn't seen you logged into the Forum recently so figured you'd been off visiting gardens somewhere, and sure enough.... there's the answer  :D

The Forum has been quiet for a while - a LONG while actually.  George and I do our best to post various topics to generate member interest, and all we can hope is that it works.
You are one of our loyal regulars, who we can always rely on to keep the Forum active.

The holiday season is probably partly the cause for the 'great lull' so we can only hope it picks up again soon  :-\

Anyway, I personally always look forward to seeing your photos, which usually contain various buildings that highlights your architectural passion, but your plants are also magnificent.

Keep up the good work  ;)

Laurie.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:31:08 PM by Eric Hardy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:37:09 PM »
Thank you Laurie. We have just got in rather late from an evening out with friends, much later than we are used to, but I thought I would check the inbox before going to bed. Thank you for your kind remarks which are much appreciated. I hope we will see more activity on the forum after what is sometimes called the silly season is over.

Now to bed.  :)

Goodnight
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:31:21 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
Thank you so much for breaking the long silence Eric! I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with what Laurie has said in his reply (and he has said it more elegantly than I could have mustered!!)

I can see the sun was shining for you on your day out. Did you enjoy the house and gardens?
Was the house open to the public? Since it is so quiet lately, perhaps you could tell us something about the architecture.

Theres quite a lot of plants in your photos - shall we have a "Name those plants" challenge?
For starters, I can see some fine specimens of Gaura lindheimeri. I fell for those after visiting a garden in Northampton.
I had the white variety growing strongly last year - two large clumps. This year, nothing. The hard winter took its toll.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:31:40 PM by Eric Hardy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:42:17 PM »
Thank you George. I have now labelled the Gaura lindheimeri and credited you with it  :) I will label and credit any other plants identified. I have labelled the agapanthus now. Anyone taking up Georges "name the plant" challenge  ???

The house was not open to the public and the garden has only been open three days this year, all for charity under the National Gardens Scheme (the yellow book).

Since it is so quiet lately, perhaps you could tell us something about the architecture.

This house is an attractive design in the local Oxfordshire vernacular of the time. The oval attic windows are an interesting and unusual feature. It is not an up to date sophisticated design for the period. I took a picture of the Old Ashmolean Museum in Oxford in 2003 which I will post below. If I tell you that this was built in 1683, roughly the same time as Radcot House, you will see what I mean.

Anthea and I discussed what this is. She suggested Rudbeckia but that is Black Eyed Susan. Any suggestions?

Edit: Morning of the 25th August

I have just noticed that in the title of this thread I have called it Radcote House. There should be no "e". I got it right in the text. I do not know whether there is a way of correcting the title of a thread.

While I am editing I didn't answer George's question whether we had enjoyed it. Yes we did, very much. We have seen more interesting layouts but the sun was shining and all was well with the world. I have scanned the little leaflet we were given so I will post it below so you get an idea of the plan

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:56:51 AM by Eric Hardy »

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
Anyone taking up Georges "name the plant" challenge  ???
I'd love to Eric, but I'm not one of the experts in plant ID's  ::)

Anthea and I discussed what this is. She suggested Rudbeckia but that is Black Eyed Susan. Any suggestions?
I tend to agree on the Rudbeckia ID you and Anthea came up with, but not able to give you the variety.  :(
I would say the white flower below the purple Rudbeckia (13th photo down in your first posting) is also a Rudbeckia, but again can't name the variety.  :(

I have just noticed that in the title of this thread I have called it Radcote House. There should be no "e". I got it right in the text. I do not know whether there is a way of correcting the title of a thread.
As far as I'm aware Eric, in this version of the Forum software anyway (there is a newer version available which we haven't installed yet  ::) ) you can't globally change a topic heading.
You can edit each of the current threads yourself if you want to and change the name manually, then SAVE each message again.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:35:54 PM »
You can edit each of the current threads yourself if you want to and change the name manually, then SAVE each message again.

Thanks Laurie, I have worked my way through the posts and corrected the spelling, not a big task. I corrected the first post and I see it corrected the name of the thread too so that is fine.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:42 PM »
Well done in correcting the Topic name Eric! Good advice again from Laurie.

REf: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6072039325_92c0da5100_z.jpg (Right clicking and looking at info )
I think this pink cone flower may be Echinacea purpurea or one of its cultivars.

The similar shaped one in white may be Echinacea purpurea 'White swan'
Its featured in a well known and trusted WPG by Lyn & Malcolm
http://www.plantguide.lynandmalc.co.uk/plantguide0430.htm

I can not manage to grow Echinaceas. Ive tried them a number of times (many failures with bare roots, including White Swan)
They never come back next year for me. Any tips would be much appreciated!

I'd guess the plant with the large silver leaves is Salvia argentea.
I have this in my garden. It is a short lived perennial, but managed to survive our last hard winter in the greenhouse. Its planted out now, and I see in the Master Database that I don't have a photo. Will take one tomorrow.
I grew mine from seed - easy enough.

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
I think this pink cone flower may be Echinacea purpurea or one of its cultivars.

The similar shaped one in white may be Echinacea purpurea 'White swan'
Echinacea would have been my next suggestion  ::)  (I don't know where I got Rudbeckia from  :-[  ::) )

Thank you for your IDs George.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »
(I don't know where I got Rudbeckia from  :-[  ::) )
You picked that from me, Laurie. I said that Anthea had suggested it but I thought that Rudbeckia was Black Eyed Susan.

Yes George, as Laurie says, thank you for the identifications. I will try to add them to my pictures. Thanks for the link to Lyn & Malcolm's picture, it certainly looks like the same plant. I imagine you have taken your picture of  Salvia Argentia but I can send you my picture if you like.

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »
You picked that from me, Laurie. I said that Anthea had suggested it but I thought that Rudbeckia was Black Eyed Susan.
(Whisper mode)... Don't tell anyone else Eric but I know that.  I didn't want to point the finger and draw attention to you.  Decided to take the blame myself  :D  ;)

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
Decided to take the blame myself  :D  ;)
Ta ever so  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »
A suggestion - how about you edit them with simple numbers 1,2,3 etc so we can refer to them?
When I right click for info, the jpg numbers in FLICKR are rather complex, aren't they? I assume they are not the original file names :-\

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »
Good idea, George, I will do that.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
Pictures numbered, identifications credited and more identifications invited  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
Well done Eric :)

The purple leaved bush in 6 looks like a Cotinus coggygria

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 07:53:26 AM »
Thank you George. It would be nice if we had more participants.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
Indeed Eric, and we will need someone to name some of the other plants.
I can see a number of Dahlias, but I have no idea of their cultivar name. Dahlias are stars of the garden at this time of year, aren't they :)