Author Topic: Sudeley Castle, Gloucestershire  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Sudeley Castle, Gloucestershire
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:39:48 PM »
Anthea and I visited Sudeley Castle in Gloucestershire last week. We had seen the gardens before in September so we were interested to see what they had on show in April.

The Castle was once home to Queen Katherine Parr, the last and surviving wife of King Henry VIII. Henry himself, Anne Boleyn, Lady Jane Grey, Queen Elizabeth 1 and Richard III have all played a part in Sudeley?s story. King Charles 1 found refuge here during the Civil War, when his nephew Prince Rupert established headquarters at the Castle.

Before showing the planting, here are three shots of the ruins of part of the castle. These 15th century buildings were ruined on the orders of Oliver Cromwell.

The 15th century chapel was also damaged and desecrated by Cromwell?s men but the exterior is much as it was in the 15th Century

The restored interior is largely the creation of George Gilbert Scott, who, together with J.D. Wyatt, worked on it from 1858 to 1863. The workmanship is exquisite. There is a monument to Queen Katherine Parr (died I548), designed by George Gilbert Scott, completed in 1862. Elaborate ogee crocketed canopy above an alabaster and marble tomb-chest; on it her exquisitely carved white marble effigy by John Birnie Philip, 1859.

Much of the spring planting followed a dark red to purple theme

In other parts of the garden there was yellow

A few more random shots

Finally I have unearthed some shots I took in September 2002 so I post a few below to give an idea of the September planting.

[

That?s all folks!

Well not quite all. We stayed at an excellent B & B in Adlestrop and I quoted a lovely poem by Edward Thomas to George. He suggested I put it on the forum, so here it is: -

Adlestrop

Yes. I remember Adlestrop?
The name, because one afternoon
Of heat the express-train drew up there
Unwontedly. It was late June.
The steam hissed. Someone cleared his throat.
No one left and no one came
On the bare platform. What I saw
Was Adlestrop?only the name
And willows, willow-herb, and grass,
And meadowsweet, and haycocks dry,
No whit less still and lonely fair
Than the high cloudlets in the sky.
And for that minute a blackbird sang
Close by, and round him, mistier,
Farther and farther, all the birds
Of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.

The railway station no longer exists.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Sudeley Castle, Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »
Exquisite, Eric and absolutely fascinating. I can see the sun shone on you!
I hope you and Anthea had a lovely time on your journeys.

I love those photos of the castle and the Chapel is simply beautiful. Are they even capable of making anything like that nowadays????
There is a monument to Queen Katherine Parr (died I548), designed by George Gilbert Scott, completed in 1862. Elaborate ogee crocketed canopy above an alabaster and marble tomb-chest; on it her exquisitely carved white marble effigy by John Birnie Philip, 1859.
Now, that is just something else! Its obviously very well maintained.
You could spend hours looking at the detail in that. In taking photos I find that there is so much detail that I missed at the time, but when the photo is viewed later, they stand out so clearly that I wish I was back to look at it all again.
No doubt you will see a few things in that one!

Oh yes, there were gardens as well ;D
I see fine specimens of Erythronium, Fritillaria imperialis and a fine display of Tulips.
I'd like someone to identify the plants in the last two photos. We haven't had a challenge on the forum for ages :D

Thank you ever so much for posting these Eric :)

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
I echo everything that George has said Eric.

Beautiful architectural photos accompanied by exquisite plant shots.

Very well done.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »
Thank you very much George and Laurie for your kind remarks. I have posted about 60 shots, including some interesting details of the interior of the church on Flickr. If you are interested you  can click on this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/erichardyuk/sets/72157626519504314/with/5630330781/ .It will take you to the Sudeley set. At the top right you can click on "Slideshow" and they will play through.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »
Lovely shots Eric !

Loverly landscape, lovely flowers and glorious past, bring to mind a Chinese poem :

Last year this date this doorway
The blushing face is a reflection of the peach blossoms
The Face is nowhere to be seen
But the peach blossoms continues to smile in the little breeze of Spring.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 09:36:29 AM »
Hello Jessie,
I am pleased you liked my shots of Sudeley Castle and thank you for your kind remarks.
The little poem is beautiful. Thank you for quoting it.
Eric