Author Topic: Printouts of 'My Garden' including blank garden areas.  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

Printouts of 'My Garden' including blank garden areas.
« on: November 27, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »
I recently wanted to do a 'blank' printout in GA016 'My Garden' not for my own but in order that someone who's garden I take care of might fill in by hand some plants that they have that I don't know the varieties of (they are rarely around when I do their garden work). Or alternatively I thought that if they had a 'ready made' organisation of the garden areas that I've just begun for their garden on my system, it might encourage them to drop a few plant suggestions in of their own choice that I can then add to IGPro. As an extension of this I thought that it might encourage them to buy Flower Genie and make a record of their garden, it's changes etc. on their computer too (more sales for George!).
I had entered some new plants that they'd bought on my system but some of the areas/borders were still blank. When I did a preview for a printout, the blank areas of the garden didn't show. I contacted George thinking that there might be a simple solution so that the blank areas would print with just the headings of the different borders etc. Unfortunately it's not that simple and the program doesn't 'kick in' until at least one plant is added.
I could therefore add a plant in each of the 'blanks' but then, if the reason for it's inclusion was forgotten about, sometime later, someone may be wondering where the 'fictitious' plant is. George suggested trying a plant called 'none'. I tried it and the blank garden areas appeared in the printout though with little space to add 'real plants' by hand. However, that should be an easy one to solve just by including an appropriate number in the 'Blank lines between each plant' in GA034. I've yet to try that bit but I'm pretty sure it will work. If anyone has need of this application of the program, I'm sure that some interesting substitutes for 'None' would arise. Plantum non existum maybe?

Trevor

PS Have just realized that the number of lines between plants is limited to 9. This may be enough but if not, a little ingenuity using 'plant data' would add extra space where needed. Selecting only the selected garden area would also be necessary in printout or the 'Print All' option would result in a massive printout of occupied areas with huge spaces etc. It might sound complicated but only one 'Plantum non existum' would have to be done and added to the database. It could then be added to any garden area where space in printout is needed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:30:11 PM by Trevor Ellis »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Printouts of 'My Garden' including blank garden areas.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
I'm glad that little trick did the job Trevor, and thanks for posting for others who may have the same situation.