Author Topic: Importing QIF files  (Read 3442 times)

Offline paulcroft

Importing QIF files
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:43:40 AM »
Hi

I've just bought BG v3 and am trying to find my way around.  I'm not finding it as intuitive as other software but I hope to get the hang of it soon. 

In trying to set up my 'current' account I downloaded my current (Lloyds TSB) bank statement in QIF format but when I tried to import it I got an error message which says, "File name does not contain a folder name to match the name on any buttons.  Unable to Enable an appropriate button.  Please read help on folder name requirements."  I cannot find any help on folder name requirements nor can I find a search facility.  All I could think of was to put the file was in the core data folder but this didn't help.  I then tried downloading and importing the bank statement in csv format and got the same result - although I appreciate that there's no Lloyds bank listed.  Is this planned?  I hope so since Lloyds TSB is not exactly one of the smaller UK banks.

I then found my way to the help files on 'Bank Genie on the web' but this is rather disconcerting because Barry Landy's help files on importing QIF files - last updated 25th September 2010 - start off with the instruction: "On the Main Menu, click the Tools tab then click Import QIF files BS419" but I don't have this on my Tools menu.  I am now getting rather disconcerted and, since it's now past midnight, I'm off to bed.  Hope this makes more sense to me tomorrow.

Paul

NightHawk

Re: Importing QIF files
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:58:33 AM »
Hi Paul

First of all welcome to the Forum.

Although I am unable to answer your Bank Genie queries, please feel assured that you will receive an answer from George as soon as possible.

He's currently devoting the majority of his time on the development of Bank Genie Pro with valuable help from Barry ("barryl" on the Forum), and also contributions from other BG users.  This work is nearing completion.

'Help' files are a big headache to work into the software, which George tries to make as detailed and user-friendly as possible.  These are also under further development.

Your best source of info on BG is through this Forum, where you will receive rapid, helpful and friendly responses.

Hints on feature requests are also welcome here.  George welcomes any suggestions on all aspects of his programs, that will address any issues from its users.

Keep checking back on the Forum for updates on your current queries.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:13:04 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline paulcroft

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
Hi Laurie

Thanks for the welcome.  It seems as though I've jumped in to v3 when BG Pro (v4) may be nearing completion.  As I understand it Barry was a long time user of Quicken so his input into the design of BG Pro should be invaluable to me since that was my software of choice for about 12 years (until I found it would no longer run on win7).  I've checked the BG Pro website for my current problem but it is clear that the help files there are not all relevent to v3 so perhaps I'll have to wait until BG Pro is up and running. 

Nothing I've tried thus far has proved a good replacement for Q2k but, by the sound of it, BG Pro could be the one.  In the meantime I'll give BG v3 a shakedown.

Paul

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Good morning Paul and welcome to the forum.

First this:
I then found my way to the help files on 'Bank Genie on the web' but this is rather disconcerting because Barry Landy's help files on importing QIF files - last updated 25th September 2010 - start off with the instruction: "On the Main Menu, click the Tools tab then click Import QIF files BS419" but I don't have this on my Tools menu.
I presume you found this:
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide/419/419.html
since this is the link to the User Guide for Bank Genie Pro which I sent in my second email to you yesterday (15:46)
I'm afraid I have somehow misled you.
In my email yesterday I explained that I have been working on a new edition of Bank Genie (dubbed Bank Genie Pro)
The new User Guide (and the program Import QIF files BS419) applies to that new edition.

The new edition will import your data from Quicken (as described in Barrys User Guide instructions)

Good news:
You can import Bank statement downloads into Bank Genie 3 - the edition you have installed, using the program:
On Line Banking - BS012
Click the Help button on that screen. It explains how to use the QIF button (also on the screen) to import your Statement Download.
It should work for any Bank Statement download in QIF format. Please let me know if does the trick for your Lloyds download.

More about Help. From my email to you yesterday (14:10):
Be sure to read the help topic which explains how to drag the green icon over the screens to expose help. I spent ages writing that stuff!
Its impossible to make software completely intuitive, and when things need explaining, I have provided that green Help icon in the top right of the screen.
Click it and drag it over the screen. When the cursor changes to a bullseye, release the mouse.
Help will be exposed in a Help screen

Finally:
File name does not contain a folder name to match the name on any buttons.  Unable to Enable an appropriate button.  Please read help on folder name requirements.
That message is delivered in an informational dialog box and is not an error (that word frightens me :o)
Hopefully the above will allow you to do your QIF import Paul
Please email (or phone the number I gave in my email) and we will discuss this further

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:57:02 PM by ideasguy »

Offline paulcroft

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »
Hi George

I've now found out how to import the QIF file:

1.  Click on get downloaded file.
2.  Select file from the browser.
3.  When the warning appears that the file name does not match the name of
any of the buttons (which is factually incorrect since it does ;)) click OK.
4.  Click on the QIF button.
5.  Follow the rest of the steps which are now logical.

Paul

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:54:25 AM »
Tried to reply to your email last night Paul, but my internet went down.
I was like a fish out of water :D Waited until well after midnight and still no connection, but mercifully its up again this morning.
We had heavy rain yesterday. Perhaps it was due to that.

Anyway :) I am delighted to read that you have succeeded with the import of the Statement download in QIF format.
If a Bank provides the download in that format then that single QIF button will work for numerous Banks. No need for special code under dedicated buttons to handle non-standard (they are never identical) file formats delivered in csv files.
As you see on that import program screen, Ive had to resort to that in a number of instances.

Your Help steps are perfect. I'm impressed! Its really nice to see that community spirit from a user. Thats what the forum is for.

And things happen when problems are discussed ;)
Ive updated the program :)

Do the download for BS012 on this page:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/bankgenie/bg_updates.htm
When you click Bank Genie on the Web on the Bank Genie program selection screen you can click a link which takes you to the Product support website.
On that, click Program Updates. It takes you to the above page

I have to say I had got into the habit of bypassing that message when I used the program for my own imports.
It was misleading, I certainly agree. I have changed the program to deliver a message telling the user to click the QIF button when a file with a QIF format is selected for processing.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on with that amended program.
(NOTE: The file can be downloaded into any folder)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:03:23 AM by ideasguy »

Offline paulcroft

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:22:50 AM »
George

There are still problems - see my email to you.

Paul

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
Try that download again Paul. Ive uploaded the program update again. It may have failed last night around the time my internet connection went down.
Watch as you install. The dialog box should say:
Version 17 (or later for anyone reading this at a later date)

Offline paulcroft

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
Yes, that's better, George.  Now working as it should, and logical too :)
Paul

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
Thanks Paul.
Now it needs is a little change to your instructions:
1.  Click on the Get downloaded file button.
2.  Select file from the browser.
3.  Message will appear telling you to click the QIF button. Click OK.
4.  Click on the QIF button.
5.  Follow the rest of the steps which are now logical.

Ive put the same change into the equivalent program in Bank Genie Pro.
Its the same functionality (it works well, with the occasional tweak ;))
Thanks for your help and patience Paul.