Author Topic: Lawn Edging Shears  (Read 8733 times)

NightHawk

Lawn Edging Shears
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »
We recently purchased some lawn edging shears - Spear and Jackson Razorsharp Edging Shears, and has prompted me to ask a question.

What is the best way to keep them sharp?

The ones we bought are from a good quality manufacturer and merit the best care possible.

Many years ago you used to get someone going around the streets offering a sharpening service - scissors, hedge shears, etc., but they have gone the way of the Dodo.

None of the garden centres in our area offer a garden equipment sharpening service, which I think would be a good idea, but this service may be available in other areas of the country.  Please discuss.

Does anyone sharpen their own tools?  Maybe by hand or with an electric grinding machine.  I suppose this would require the correct grinding angle to be set first though and could be tricky.

It would be interesting to hear from our members what method is adopted, and if any firms around the country offer a sharpening service and who they are.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Lawn Edging Shears
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »
for my chainsaw i have a dremel with a special chainsaw sharpening attachment with angles on it as a guide, and you just buy new sharpening stones when needed, as for edging shears can you not find something similiar, when we did grounds maintenance our shears etc were always cleaned with wd40 after which kept them rust free and in good condition plus i never found the need to sharpen them and they were not any dear ones just plain simple cheap

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
Thanks for that Phil.

There probably is something similar to your chainsaw sharpener, but I just wanted to get a feel for the best option for good results, before I spend any money  ;)

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »
Thanks for that Phil.

There probably is something similar to your chainsaw sharpener, but I just wanted to get a feel for the best option for good results, before I spend any money  ;)

Laurie.

look what i found http://www.handyhardware.ie/Home/SearchResults/tabid/274/List/0/Default.aspx?txtSearch=edging+shear+sharpeners you should be able to find similar in the UK

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »
Thanks for that link Phil, very useful indeed.  8)

I'm quite sure there will be something similar over here, and the prices don't seem too bad either.

Let's see what our other members use, and if a particular product can be recommended.

I'm quite sure that when 'Gadget Man' (a.k.a. Malcolm) reads this he'll probably respond with his method of using a fully programmed robot to do the job for him  :D  ;)

Laurie.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »
I am the fully programmed robot  ;D I use a file.  :o

But our edging shears are just fairly cheap old ones.

So really I am not much help.  ::) Exterminate, Exterminate,  ::)
And no I have not been on the boze.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:07:18 PM »
and I use a file. Its a special file though, for sharpening such items. Ask in your hardware store for details.
I follow the angle on the blades and it seems to work OK.

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:24:32 PM »
The use of a file seems to be the most popular so far - and the cheapest option, as opposed to any power sharpeners  :D

I'll most likely go with method, plus Phil's suggestion of keeping the blades in tip-top condition with WD-40.

Great advice guys.

Laurie.