Author Topic: Molinia Caerulea subsp. 'Caerula Overdam' Grass  (Read 6380 times)

NightHawk

Molinia Caerulea subsp. 'Caerula Overdam' Grass
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »
Photo 1 - Molinia Caerulea subsp. 'Caerula Overdam' (Full plant - 18inches [45 cm] tall)

Photo 2 - Molinia Caerulea subsp. 'Caerula Overdam' (close-up of fronds)

We've actually got two plants, one about half the size of the one in the photos.  Is it too late to lift and divide?

Also, when is the best time to gather seed?

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Molinia Caerulea subsp. 'Caerula Overdam' Grass
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 08:53:53 PM »
grasses divide autumn, but i think if you keep the divided new plant well watered it should be ok, as for collecting seed i was looking at my grasses the other day and i noticed on the same plant some of the seed had gone brown and came of easy just by brushing it and on some other part the seed was still green, so i assume when it looks brown and comes off in the hand easy as a guess anyway, has anyone here ever grown grasses from their collected seed before are they true to form

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:34:16 PM »
Thanks for that Phil.

In the next day or two we're going to dig up the smaller of our two grasses and baby them in pots for a while to see what happens.

We seem to recall an episode of Gardeners' World a while ago where Alan Titchmarsh mentioned that if they are divided in Autumn they tend to sulk a bit over winter and don't do very well.

Obviously there's different opinions as to which is the best option.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:04:21 AM »
i divided up a grass last month of a briza media and it still look fine. watered a few times as we are having exceptionally nice weather for the past couple of weeks with not much rain, i did also reduce it by half by which i personally think helps as it has not got as much foilage to lose water through

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
Thanks again for that Phil it sounds promising.  8)

We'll try dividing ours and post the results here after we've monitored it for a while.

Laurie.