Author Topic: Fuchsia cuttings  (Read 6308 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Fuchsia cuttings
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:58:21 AM »
On 20th May I was invited to do a little presentation to the Irish Fuchsia Society at the Belfast venue (they meet in Dublin and Belfast once per month)

I bought a couple of plants at their plant sale - Fuchsia 'Dollar Princess'
In chatting, the lady on the stand said they could be trained as standards.
I enquired how, and got a very interesting demonstration.
All the side shoots were removed from one of my new plants,leaving a single upright stem.
Keep doing that and allow that central stem to grow, were the instructions.
When it gets to the height you want, then allow the head to develop.

Take these side shoots home and use them as cuttings, she said.
It was late when I arrived home, so I put the cuttings into a little jug of water.
I thought I put them in the back hall, but when I went a-lookin' next day they were not to be seen.
Other things took priority  ::) and I forgot all about them.

I was tidying up outside the greenhouse door at the weekend, emptying the compost out of the "dead men" pots, and to my surprise, there was the jug. (ahaaa - So THATS where I put it!)
The very first glimpse was of fresh green foliage. That was the first surprise.
When I picked it up, I got a VERY big surprise.
Heres a photo of the jug, with the other plant (now a nice bushy little plant)

Note the white roots which have formed on the cuttings.

Heres a photo of those roots and one of the blooms propped up with the picker I use to prick out seedlings from trays:

Ive potted them up. Three had good roots, one just beginning and a fifth hadn't rooted (yet), but it was of good proportions - I recall it was only a tiny little thing when it was removed from the parent. I put the fifth one back in the jug with fresh water (and I know where it is this time around ;)).

Conclusion?
Those Fuchsias sure have the will to survive!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:01:29 AM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Re: Fuchsia cuttings
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:59:21 AM »
Excellent, plants looking good, great fun making  standard fuchsia aswell i did it years ago when i worked at a nursery, i expect to see a pic of a standard fuchsia in flower later on  ;), the fuchsias of mine i thought were dead after being buried in ice and snow and minus temps have survived so this year i will transplant into their hedgrow then eventuall i shall have a hedge mixed with fuchsia, beech, whitethorn and what ever else i decide to put in

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:46:01 AM »
The standard is growing slowly and it hasn't reached any greater height than the one left to grow naturally (its now looking quite bushy)
Its been repotted so I'll feed it and see how it responds.

Photos? - but of course :)
I'll extend this topic when it has developed

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:32:16 PM »
That looks like an excellent way to propagate, George. Put your cuttings in a jug of water and forget about them  ;D. Your photos demonstrate it most graphically. Anthea is pretty successful in propagating fuchsia cuttings, they always seem to go, but she hasn't tried your water jug method!  She has trained standards though quite often in the past.

We have a very large fuchia which grows by the summer house door. It is very old and has a large cluster of stems. Every year we knock it back to a clump of stems about 12 inches high. Every year it comes back as vigorous as anything. This year, like Phil, we thought the hard winter had killed it. For weeks we kept examining it for signs of life, then suddenly, much later than usual it has sprung into life and is growing vigorously. Never give up hope  ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:47:48 AM »
Good news and bad news on the famous five cuttings.
The smallest of the four which had roots and were potted up just upped and died.
But - the fifth one rooted up in that glass of fresh water and has now been potted up!

Nice to know I have Anthea to give advice, Eric.
Does she feed them to channel their resources into growth?
Mine is growing rather slowly, but its getting there.

My favourite Fuchsia is Genii (sheer coincidence- honest ;D) Its a fascinating and beautiful foliage plant.
I had a fine specimen in a pot which died over winter. Like you, I was very relieved when my "stock" plant began to put on growth.
 - it is planted out in a well drained border close to a wall.
Ive taken a few cuttings from it already. This time I'm rooting them the conventional way!

Never give up hope
Now thats the philosophy of a true gardener :)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:18:33 AM »
Does she feed them to channel their resources into growth?
She doesn't feed them as such, George,  but she does pot on using very good soil mixed with our home produced compost. They do take a bit of time to get going properly but once really established they grow very well. She usually keeps one specimen growing in our front porch. Very occasionally they attract white fly. Then it is my job to carry the pot outside for a few days. Usually a gentle squirt of water from the hose and a few days of sun, fresh air and rain seems to do the trick without using anything else (if you catch it early enough of course!!).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »
Thanks Eric. What height does Anthea usually train them to before allowing them to form a head?

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
What height does Anthea usually train them to before allowing them to form a head?
Not terribly high, George, it depends on the plant. Usually about 18 inches. Chatting to Anthea just now she says she does not start pulling off side shoots until the plant looks well established and healthy. She hasn't done it for the last three or four years so I haven't a photo