Author Topic: New website info on Japanese Maples  (Read 3477 times)

Offline whis4ey

New website info on Japanese Maples
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:09:06 AM »
I am presently trying to update my web site information on the Japanese Maples to show a photograph of each plant in Spring, Summer and Autumn, together with a close up of the leaf and then a photograph of the whole tree.  I will also try to give an idea of how large the plant will become where I have that information
I will be taking the appropriate pictures this year of each of my plants.  It promises to be a time intensive exercise :)
You can have a look at what I have in mind in the test page on the link below, although the photographs here are not just as perfect as I would like them to be.
Let me know what you think, or if there is anything else that would be helpful that I can add :)
http://www.fujiyamagarden.com/AtroTest.html

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New website info on Japanese Maples
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »
Absolutely brilliant Billy, and the photos are great (you're becoming a prefectionist to criticise your own work).
I really, REALLY like that format. Its absolutely necessary in the case of japanese maples. One photo in isolation is completely misleading.

We know they some look good in spring, some look good in autumn and some both. Your photos will illustrate that.

A suggestion?
Perhaps to mention the DURATION of the time(s) of the year they are at their best, and also when they are at their least attractive (if at all).
I have a couple which look great in spring, drab in summer, and good in autumn.
Having observed them for a few years the pattern is pretty stable. I have one plant which is stunning in spring, but not at all attractive for a few months in summer.

That particular specimen in your photos has a beautiful form. Did you prune it in any way during its life cycle?

How could a gardener fail to be impressed by Japanese maples after viewing those photos!!

Is that a Pieris in the foreground of the Spring photo?

I can see it is indeed an intensive exercise Billy. Its very much appreciated by those who drool over your gardens (mmm - me and many more!)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 01:04:58 PM by ideasguy »