Author Topic: The Four Seasons  (Read 9411 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: The Four Seasons
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »
Absolutely stunning! Thank you SO much for posting those photos!

My thoughts exactly on Aureum.
Its a beauty in new leaf, other times pretty ordinary - in fact unattractive.
The leaves in autumn are like you described, pretty much tatty and ragged on close inspection - but from a distance I get a spectacular red and yellow colour. Ive never seen a big mature tree :'(
But!! That May colour is to die for and makes it a must.
Have you noticed how they stand out in the fading light of evening? They are almost luminous!

I'm impressed by your beds! I have mine all in pots, afraid to commit to earth. I HATE planting some things, in fear of planting in the wrong spot. Bitter experience because I spend a LOT of time digging up my mistakes.
The good thing is, the Acers can be moved to prominence when they are at their best, and taken out of the limelight when they don't have much to offer.
The bad thing is, they are being restrained and would perform much better when planted.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:36:46 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: The Four Seasons
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 09:18:20 AM »
I watched the DVD last night. What a treat!
I was simply in awe at the plants and layout of the Four Seasons garden - that must be such a thrill and an incredible experience for anyone fortunate enough to be able to actually visit this garden on one of the open days.

I was equally impressed by another observation. The enthusiasm and unbounded energy exemplified by Marie and Tony was clear for all to see. They are such a great team, beavering away on whatever tasks need tackled throughout the year - from spreading tons of wood bark to planting thousands of snowdrops (all shown in the TV program).

I picked up on quite a few "Ideas for Gardens" in that program. More about that later, as Ive sent Marie and Tony an email asking if they are ready to take questions :)