Author Topic: The Four Seasons  (Read 9378 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
The Four Seasons
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
It has to be good when my son rings to tell me about a great garden he seen on BBC2 recently
http://www.fourseasonsgarden.co.uk/

Marie and Tony Newtons Four Seasons garden in Walsall, West Midlands looks really good from the photos on their website.
They have been members of the National Garden Scheme (NGS) since January 2008

Did any of our members see the programs on TV? Anyone live close enough to visit?

Wonder if they have "his" and "hers" regions Malcolm?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: The Four Seasons
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:27:30 PM »
I sent an email to Marie and Tony to say how impressed I was by their garden, and invited them to join us on our forum.
I received this reply:

George, Thank you for your kind compliments. We would be delighted for you to add a link from your website to ours. We had a an open day yesterday and were very pleased to have more than a 100 visitors despite the awful cold weather in recent  weeks. The next couple of days will be a bit hectic for us for non gardening reasons however after that we would be pleased to "register and join in the conversation". Thanks for your invite and for setting up the forum so that members can communicate about various plant and garden topics.

It will be great to have them join us here. They can be assured of a very warm welcome :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:58:11 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »
And you might need to increase that 9999 limit on the WPG, should they decide to list all their plants.

Some job to take pictures of all those plants, as well.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:49:43 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Offline Four Seasons

• www.fourseasonsgarden.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
George & Ideas Genie friends, Thanks for your invite to join your forum. For more than 25 years we  have  both  been equally, absurdly enthusiastic about gardening!

We wanted to create a garden with for all four seasons and we like to contrast bold colours.  We designed the garden and it has evolved over several years. Despite having full time day jobs until October 2009, we have done all the work in the garden ourselves, without outside help. Our camera is used to capture the views and is also an essential tool in our garden design. 

2009 was a wonderful autumn in the UK and this is one of the pictures we took in our middle garden  in late October.

Best wishes to everyone
Tony and Marie

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:30:36 PM by Four Seasons »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »
Hello again and a very warm welcome to the forum Tony and Marie :)

With global warming and a few very mild winters, I thought four seasons gardening was becoming a reality.
Then, as a vicious reminder, we were hit here in the UK with the coldest winter in half a century.
How did your garden make it through our winter?

I can see from your website that your garden must look really spectacular in spring. Photos don't do justice to the real thing, of course. It must be a pleasure to walk around your magnificent creation. Congratulations to you both!

I hope you will enjoy it here and visit regularly. The more the merrier, and the more interesting :)

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:31:40 PM »
We are hoping the winter damage has not been too severe but certainly the New Zealand flax and a couple of the small palms are in trouble. Amazingly most of the camellia buds have survived more than 60 winter frosts and some are flowering but are about 6 weeks later than a mild winter. This  photo was taken yesterday. The red stems  are acer senkaki.

We married thirty-four years ago and have always shared a passion for gardening. In 1982 we moved to our present family home in Walsall, in the West Midlands.

During the last 20 years we have totally re-landscaped and re-planted our garden to our design which has steadily evolved.

We wanted to create a garden to be used by the family and also to be exciting in all four seasons. In planting, we especially contrast bold shapes and forms and the colours red, blue and yellow. In particular we use bright and bold evergreens as a back-drop for flowers in spring and summer. In addition we have created a jungle area including tree ferns, palms, bamboos and banana plants. We find that timely pruning is the key to maintaining our garden.

Despite us both having busy day jobs (until we retired in October 2009) and four children, we have done all the work in the garden ourselves without outside help. We have laid all the York stone paths and put in every plant but two of all that is present in our garden.
We have won the battle with weeds, built a chalet store, summer house, large wooden oriental pagoda, smaller pagoda and created three water features, including a cascading 17 metre stream.

We held our first public garden open day in October 2006 and were stunned when we had 268 visitors. During the last 4 years we have welcomed more than 4,900 visitors, raising £15,600 for different charities however since 2008 most open days have been for the ngs (National Garden Scheme) which supports many cancer charities. In 2009 we had eleven garden open days and were delighted with the high visitor attendance in all four seasons.

Some of our tropical themes were inspired by our travels abroad in Central America, India and China and our travel in the UK, in particular our visit to the Lost Gardens of Heligan.

Winter: We are pleased to have garden colour in the winter. For example, we use the colour red in the form of photinia, the red oriental ornaments and the red acer Senkaki stems and contrast these against the blue and yellow conifers and bright yellow hollies. Lighting in the trees creates a magical atmosphere, especially when plants are draped in snow. Winter flowers surge through in February with snow drops, crocus, aconites, cyclamen, hellebores and early camellias. The colour white is accentuated by the multi-stemmed Betula Jaquemontii. Other tree barks, including acer griseum, snake bark maples and serrula, give winter interest.

Spring: Tete a tete daffodils, primulae and camellia flowers dominate in March. In April, erythroniums, tulips, pansies and scilla are flowering. In May there is a stunning array of azaleas together with the new growth of acers and conifers. Other May flowers include anemone blande and muscari. Colour continues in June with foxgloves, aliums, poppies and lilies of various sorts.

Summer: The acers and conifers then provide the backdrop to display the summer riot of colour in the upper garden from flowers including pelargonium, begonias, impatiens and mass summer bedding. In August the perennials are dramatic in the lower garden and include astors, leucanthemum, liatris, agapanthus, crocosmia, rudbekia, thalictrum, helenium and phlox. During the summer the jungle becomes more exciting and children and adults love the mist and tropical bird sounds.

Autumn starts with the rich red colour of the Virginia creeper. This is quickly followed by the intense colour changes especially in the acers and azaleas. By late autumn the Japanese acer leaves have become become vibrant with scarlet and gold colours and they serve as ?autumn flowers?.

During 2010 we are holding 12 garden open days spanning the four seasons ........we must enjoy life being even more hectic and busy! "

Best wishes
Marie and Tony
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:59:42 PM by Four Seasons »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:17:47 PM »
Lovely photos, Tony and Marie, and very well composed.

Isnt it fantastic that our Camellias are so hardy!

Ive just rang my son and thanked him for telling me about your garden on TV.
Is that show stiil accessible on line?

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
George, Sorry but the program  was only available for 7 days on i player after the BBC2 / BBC HD broadcasts.

We are honoured and delighted that they filmed us. Friends who knew us and our garden all said they really enjoyed the program.

From our point of view there were many good points.The story line was us at work in four seasons in the garden  that we have created.

However, it is not true that we work non stop in the garden. We do work in the garden however to create the "Wow!" views for visitors and for photos. It is our impression that  the TV program did not pause on  the "Wow!" views ..... and therefore the the beauty and  tranquility of the garden that we and our visitors experience was not conveyed to the viewers. Nevertheless overall we were very pleased.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:09:37 PM by Four Seasons »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »
Did you record the program Marie and Tony?
I'm sure you are anticipating my next question... do you now have it on DVD?
It would be a blow not to have that momentous occasion permanently recorded :)

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »
George, you will guess part of the reply. The BBC2 program was rescheduled 3 times, and the last time was at very short notice when it was brought forward 3 days......to 11.30am Sunday 14th February which was right in the middle of our first garden open day of 2010!  So we did not watch it live since we had around 100 guests in our garden who had braved the cold weather to see our winter garden.....but of course we recorded it and watched it in the evening whilst opening a bottle of wine!

We think that most "regular" Gardeners' World viewers may have missed the program.

We would prefer people to judge 'Four Seasons' by our photos or by visiting our garden. The TV program, as we mentioned, was not able to properly convey the "Wow!".  However, we would be quite happy to send you a DVD copy of the TV broadcast for you to  view in order to give us feedback .....before a decision is made to pass it on to other members of the forum. P.s  in the fist few seconds of the DVD show still shots of the garden changing in 4 seasons but they are out of order since they run: spring, autumn, summer, winter.........

Please find attached a composite photo of our middle garden in all four seasons

Best wishes

Tony and Marie
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:13:56 PM by Four Seasons »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
Phew! That was dedication to the call of duty, I have to say, putting the visitors before such an important TV show!
Fortunately you had it recorded and obviously there were no hitches.

I will take you up on that offer, Tony and Marie :) That DVD I would very much love to see and with your permission to make a copy.

RE:
in the first few seconds of the DVD show still shots of the garden changing in 4 seasons but they are out of order since they run: spring, autumn, summer, winter.........
That wont spoil our enjoyment :)
I'll send you an email with my address. I'm looking forward to sitting down to watch that show.
What time of year were they there with the cameras? All done in one visit or did they actually visit at all four seasons?

P.S. What is the variety of thta Camellia in bloom with you already? My next door neighbour has the earliest variety around these parts, but theres no name on the plant any more  :'(   -  its not in bloom yet.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:20:36 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:38:19 AM »
George, We were busy that year, not only because we had full time day jobs, several garden open days, had started re-landscaping the lower half of our neighbours garden as a work area for 'Four Seasons .... but we also were filmed by BBC Gardeners' World in May, June, August, September, October and December. The October filming was somewhat thrown into chaos because  of minus 4C and snow in the night before filming.

We will have to check out the name of the pink camellia flowers to the left of the pagoda. However this photo of the Camellia × williamsii 'Donation'  in flower in the upper garden was also taken 2 days ago

Tony and Marie

P.s. Also attached is a picture of happy crocus tommasinianus and tete a tete daffodils taken yesterday in bright, warm sun!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:45:15 PM by Four Seasons »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:57 AM »
Donation is always the first Camellia to bloom in my garden, but its nowhere near bursting forth yet!
Is that a variegated holly in the Donation photo? Have you trained it into a small foliage feature.
I ask, because I have a tall (8ft and more) lanky one. I'm going to cut it down to about 3ft and see if it can produce something like you have in that photo. If it does, it gets to stay  ;)

The beeb (BBC ) had six visits :o That must have been stressful.
Mind you, with your Camellias (since they are in bloom now) and perhaps Azaleas and some Rhodos, a visit in late March or early April would have been a good idea to capture the full glory of the spring season. Did they miss some spectaculars by arriving a bit late (May)?
What about Primulas, Erythroniums, Iris, Crocus, Snowdrops, Daffodils, Tulips etc. Did they make the big screen?
From one of your may fine garden structures, no doubt you have Erythronium 'Pagoda'  :)

PS Lashing down here this morning. Its been remarkably dry for a few weeks. Gardening was great!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:53:23 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
In fact the filming was quite enjoyable and exciting.

The following will give you some insight into how the two of us think and maintain our garden at 'Four Seasons":-         "If in doubt chop it out!" is one of our mottos" ... so go for it George! The way we think is "If it looks wrong, then it must be wrong".  Our guess is that is has probably just grown out of proportion to other neighbouring plants. We know, that you know all this and so these words are really for other newer gardeners who might be worried about pruning causing sudden death of the plant!......Holly is great because it is so amenable to either minor or major pruning........if you cut it down to the height you would like now and do a bit of shaping of the remaining branches, it is almost certain that by mid summer there will be plenty of beautiful new growth. The chance of the holly dying is remote and a guess very much less than 10%....... in any case if it does not look right now then something needs to be done .......and in the remote chance of the holly dying then you are presented with the great opportunity of a space for another new plant!

Attached are 2 more pictures of the camellia Donation,  the close up was taken 21st March whilst the wider angle view was taken today.

The holly on the left is Ilex aquifolium ''Golden Queen' and the holly on the right (which you also referred to in the previous pictures) is  the Silver-margined holly (Ilex aquifolium 'Argentea Marginata'). We planted both of these hollies about 18 years ago and have maintained them to the size we preferred by  regular (annual) minor pruning. Our aim with minor pruning maintain a plant to size without it looking obvious that pruning has been performed.

The photo also shows one of our 'mop head' acers which we have kept to size by annual pruning ......it is only the diameter of the trunk which gives the game away that the acer has been growing in this site for more than 20 years.

Tony and Marie
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:00:09 PM by Four Seasons »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:18 PM »
I'll go for it then!

Is there a sods law with plants? I find that no matter how badly I treat plants that I am not too fussed about - they survive e.g. smothered in weeds, hard pruning etc.
If its a treasured plant, it will die at the least excuse  ::)
That being the rule, it will proably survive a good hacking.

Another question - do you get any berries on those trained specimens?

Ive dug a common variety holly out. I pruned it every year so it wasn't too tall. However, to dig it out I had to remove all the lower branches - those prickly leaves are lethal!
Its sitting on top of the soil in a barren spot, and looking like a standard - with about a 4ft trunk! Tempted to grow it as a standard and see how it does.

Thanks for posting the photos and giving us a current peep at your garden, Tony and Marie!
Inspirational stuff :)

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 11:28:29 PM »
We understand that large hollies are not meant to transplant well however, we have never had a problem probably because we manage to dig them up with enough soil in the root ball. We grow our hollies for their bright foliage which is great in all seasons but especially welcome in winter. Probably because of pruning we do not have large numbers of berries but as we have  said we are mainly interested in the all year round foliage colour.

In general we do not like to have too much dark foliage so we would be wary about having many  of the common variety of holly. Tony's childhood home had holly hedges and common holly trees. Common holly does make a very tidy secure hedge ....and they look nice  as trees  laden with beautiful berries.

Common holly prickles would not be a problem for us since, unlike the TV gardening programs, we virtually always wear gloves .......and for prickly holly we would also make sure we were wearing clothing with sleeves!

Tony and Marie
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:50:18 PM by Four Seasons »

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »
We find it an exciting challenge to try and create garden views in all four seasons. However, it is  also quite a considerable challenge to try and capture the views on camera! These are views of our lower garden in the four seasons.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:00:43 PM by Four Seasons »

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:56 PM »
These are views of the upper garden in all four seasons.

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
Topiary mostly evolved from our need to keep plants in proportion and to size .....however it also reflected an element of humour and simple artistry that we seem to have a need to express.

We love to contrast the colours red blue and and yellow.....and plenty of green.

It is essential that the lawn looks healthy for photos of our upper garden in spring, summer and autumn.

In autumn we use the acer colours as a substitute for flowers to contrast with the evergreen foliage.

We were honoured and delighted that the BBC2 television Gardeners' World kindly filmed our garden during all four seasons of  2008 ...... but it was impossible for them to capture the beauty of autumn in our upper garden in late October because on the night before filming the temperatures had plummeted to minus 4C and we had 2 inches / 5cm of snow!

(Photo 27th October 2009)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:24:33 AM by Four Seasons »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 12:20:01 AM »
Now that really does have that WOW Marie and Tony  ;)
I've shown those photos to my better half and she is well impressed!
I'll be showing them to my colleagues tomorrow in Belfast.
Thanks once again for sharing here.

Are those conifers really that blue in reality?
They look really good in combination with the Acers and you most certainly have achieved your objective with those colours :)
Ive never seen such a spectacular sight with foliage. Am I right in saying that most of the plants are shrubs and trees?

Is that another part of your garden to the left of the photo, behind the golden tree?
And when we are on that subject, what is it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:23:32 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 07:51:05 AM »
That is correct, the only flowers in the picture are a few primulae still flowering in the oval beds and some winter flowering pansies in the pots on the York stone paved areas. Begonias were flowering in the upper garden until mid October however we removed these in the week prior to this photograph and put the tubers into winter storage. Although in one way  it is pleasant to see summer flowers at the end of October, we prefer to see the autumn foliage  colours without the distraction of flowers.

The reds are supplied not only by the autumn colour change in the acer leaves but also from the pieris, photinia and azalea leaves. For example there is an azalea with red autumn leaves immediately to the left of the abies procera glauca prostrata. We prune the photinia and pieris at intervals during the year to give several peaks of good leaf colour including in late autumn but the  new pieris leaves would be damaged if there was a significant air frost.

The yellow acer on the left is the yellow late autumn foliage of acer senkaki.

The garden to the left is not ours and belongs to one of our neighbours. However, since August 2008 our neigbour to the right has kindly permitted us to use the lower half of his garden as  work area for 'Four Seasons' and on our Flickr site there is a set of photos which shows how we transformed this area.

The colours do tend to vary in different lights. The blue conifers are most blue after the spring growth and the intense colour slowly fades. There is still fairly good colour in autumn but much less during winter .....and even less after pruning.

The above photo was taken at very low light intensity and after light rain.We do photograph at low light at times  because the lighting is uniform, shadows are absent and it is possible to show quite good definition of all plants. At  low light intensity and after rain the camera does tend to show colours as being very bold. In conclusion the blue colour is very close to being accurate but is slightly enhanced compared with photos in normal lighting conditions.

The  blue conifer  in the middle of the lower border of the photo (close to the stone path and with a 'teddy bear' yellow yew shape on the other side of the path) is abies procera glauca prostrata  -  it would be interesting to check foliage colour  for photos of this conifer that you have on your software.

The next photo shows what the colours look like in sunlight.  This photo  was taken 3 days earlier (24th October 2009). With the back lighting from the October sun, the garden and colours look quite different. We find photographing in sun can be very difficult but very rewarding..... if the shots come off. Yes there are some Pelargoniums flowers  in the wall basket which looked too good to take out!

There are two additional points that we should make. The garden probably looks bigger  in the photos than it really is ....because we have a lot of plants which we keep to size. The garden size excluding our neighbour's work area is about 180 feet x 55 feet. Secondly autumn is a very elusive season to photograph and our upper garden only looks like this for a few days in late autumn.....but if we have  a severe air frost and snow like we had in late October 2008 then all the late autumn acer colour is badly damaged and no really good photos are possible.

Tony and Marie
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:22:26 PM by Four Seasons »

NightHawk

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »
Tony and Marie, I am so well impressed by your beautiful gardens.  Your photos are very informative by showing us the transformations throughout the different seasons.

The sheer workload of keeping them so well-kept must make you exhausted.  :)

I look forward to seeing how your gardens develop throughout your participation in the Forum which is an inspiration to us all.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
That was an excellent and very informative posting, Marie and Tony :)

I love that Acer senkaki! Its a real show stopper and provides magnificent contrast in your photos.

I bought 28 Acer cultivars (six were for work colleagues) but the only one with yellow leaves is Acer japonicum 'Aureum'.
The RHS search now tells me that that plant is known as Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'
The RHS also lists Acer palmatum 'Aureum' i.e. the RHS recognises two cultivars with the name 'Aureum' in the Acer genus.
Do you have that "one"? If yes, I'd love to see a photo.

RE:
We prune the photinia and pieris at intervals during the year to give several peaks of good leaf colour including in late autumn but the  new pieris leaves would damaged if there was a significant air frost.
Now you've just taught me a new trick there.
Ive noticed that if my pieris is frost damaged badly as it attempts its first flush of the season, it responds by rejuvenating.
I never thought of giving it a prune at any time to make it produce new growth. Very good and worthy tip, and I shall certainly try that this year.

RE
We do photograph at low light at times  because the lighting is uniform, shadows are absent and it is possible to show quite good definition of all plants.
Now you are talking my language :)
I prefer a nice bright but overcast day for photos. Failing that, I wait until the sun passes behind a cloud (in Ireland it frequently obliges)

Like Laurie, I look forward to seeing more photos during the Four Seasons!

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 12:12:41 PM »
George, Thanks. Yes we, and our visitors,  find the Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' amazing in May when the foliage is immaculate......unless we have hail storms or air frosts! In spring it is probably about our most favourite acer.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:24:42 PM by Four Seasons »

Offline Four Seasons

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »
The fist photo is another of Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' in May.  We find the foliage is relatively much more drab as the summer progresses and rather disappointing in autumn when it is abit of a 'scruffy yellow'..... however every now and then the Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' in autumn has some unexpectedly colourful and beautiful leaves.