Author Topic: seeding information in Notes relevant to this culture for this GENUS-problem  (Read 4207 times)

Offline diegartenfrau

• The Musings Of A Transplanted Gardener
I encountered a problem with the solution I thought I had to my growing dates under the plant care notes.

I just figured out that I can put the growing dates for each plant into the GA100S36 under the plant care notes.
so under the plant care 'outdoor seeding' I input the dates from my garden chart and any other info like succession sow schedule,
and so on. I wasn't sure if that would work. But after I had the data for a few plants in there, I could see the dates at least in the task program under the 'Edit dates and Notes'. So at least I will be able to have the dates in front of me, when I want to give it a planting date.

When I first tried tried this and saw the growing dates in that task program, I thought I found the solution, but today I am putting in the dates for my cabbages. Now Cabbages come in Early Season, Mid season and late season/overwintering types. Then there are Savoy Cabbages also. Each kind one has to plant to a different time. I was hoping I could have for each variety the info in that note section, that it is as 'early type' for example, then the date I need to plant it, the time to maturity and any other important info for that particular type/variety I have. So I can plan the seeding better and don't have to go back and forth to the profile to find that information. I like to see it when I plan the planting date.

Now I see that it puts all the information for each cabbage to all the cabbages. So each varieties specific information is in the field of the seeding notes. I didn't realize these notes are Genus specific, which again would work for flowers beautiful but for vegetables not so much. Just because a vegetable is the same genus, does not need it has the same seeding requirements.

So my question is. Has anyone figured out a runaround to this? Is there another solution so I can have that info in front of me when I plan my seeding dates?

Isabell

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Put general discussion information with notes about all varieties into Plant Care

In the Plant Profile screen, click the Plant Care tab.
Put that full general information into the field under the Plant Care tab.

Add a plant to the database for each of your cabbages.
In GA100S36 you will now have a unique plant profile for each of your cabbages - Early Season, Mid season and late season/overwintering types, etc etc.
Click the Plant tab.
Put specific information (dates etc) for each into the Data for this Plant/Cultivar field in GA100S36

Start tasks program GA047:
Select a task
Click Dates/Notes button
GA047S04 appears
Click the All Notes button
Screen GA100S15 appears
ALL the data fields are there for you to see.
Copy and paste the bits of text you need, and put the text into the appropriate fields in your Task.
Does that help?

Are you managing to copy and paste from the data field in GA100S15 into your task?
Please answer Isabell
Once youve put the specific data into your task notes, you dont need to go back to screen GA100S15

Please send me an email with the names of some of your cabbage, indicating if they are early, mid, late season etc.
Then send me your plant care information.
I'll make up a demo with screenshots and balloons
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:50:20 AM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

Isabell:

When I first started entering the information that is on the back of my Ed Hume seed packets I set up this kind of an information entering system. All of Mr. Hume?s seed packet?s information follows a standard format (that?s why I like them so well). In breaking this down (and Phil helped me with this, and George agreed) is that in GA100S36 when I enter the seed packet information I do it with this method:

Under Plant:
1 - Maturity
2 - Advice (Mr. Hume?s personal advice for that specific Variety) ***
Under Propagation:
3 - Germination
4 ? Sowing
Under Cultivation:
5 ? Spacing
6 ? Thinning/Transplanting
*** This is where I entered the Variety Specific Information, which I believe you are working with now.

In doing the Task Session in the Vegetable Project, I worked with Spinach. And now when I go to screen GA100S15 there appears in the area marked ?Specific Variety?
the *** information that I had entered previously in GA100S36 under PLANT.

Then you can copy and paste that ?Special Variety Data? to your Task Notes.
I just did that procedure again, just to be sure. It works for me very nicely.

- Toby

Offline diegartenfrau

Yes, Toby, that is the procedure I did also, but since the task related notes are for 'Seed :- Notes relevant to this culture for this GENUS' it will show all the info for all the cabbages in there. So I can high light the Cabbage 'Frigga' but it will have the info in the seed note section for all the varieties, since it is the Genus information for these plants. There is really no window-pane in the GA047S03 for the plant specific information on that screen. To see that plant specific information one has to click on the 'All Notes' .

I just ended up sorting my cabbages and put all the data in the window like this >see below< so I can see the growing info for each cabbage. It works so I am fine for now with it.

>>
seed outdoor 3/8 - 5/8; 5/15 - 6/15; and 7/15 - 8/31
Cool-climate gardeners should time their planting so the cabbage matures during those weeks with cool temperatures. To estimate this date, you need to know whether the cabbage you are growing is an early-, mid-, or late-season variety. Early-season varieties mature in 60 to 80 days, mid-season types in 80 to 90 days, late-season in 90 to 110 days.

Sow early varieties indoors, 1/4" deep and 2" apart, about four to six weeks before time to set them out in the garden. Early varieties do best in a sandy loam,

Primo: early and Main season
GB Cultural info: CW/Matures 9-16/Harvest 2-4/Yield 96-383/ Spac 15 / Area 100
Days to Maturity: 52-65
Description: An old favorite. Very early, you can sow in succession from February until mid-July. Compact, ball-headed. It bears well, has few outer leaves. Does well in any soil. Highly recommended.

Red Drumhead: early and Mainseason
GB Cultural info: CW/Matures 9-16/Harvest 2-4/Yield 96-383/ Spac 15 / Area 100
Days to Maturity: 74-90
Description: Fine, sweet flavor-probably the best of all red cabbages. Very early. Round to slightly-flattish deep-purple heads, 7" in diameter. Very hardy, plant in early spring for autumn harvest, or can be an excellent winter keeper. Widely adapted. Good in salads, as pickles.

Sow Midseason varieties after the last frost.

Midseason: Frigga: (86 days) 3lb. heads, 6" round. holding in the field one month after maturity. Texture is on the dry side, real cabbage flavor with some sweetness.

Late types should be started around the first to the middle of July to be transplanted to the garden by the first or middle of August (no later than August 1 in the North)
later types like a heavier soil that will retain moisture.

Late Season -'Des Vertus Savoy': (95 days) Open-pollinated. From the 1800s, also known as Large Drumhead Savoy. A writer in the May 1882 American Agriculturist urged that ?savoy cabbage is as much superior to the common hardheaded kinds as the least cultivated grape is superior to the ornamental fox-grape of the woods. French variety features large medium-green heads averaging 4-6 lb. Flavor is mild and juicy, semi-sweet.

longer maturing variety start in mid sum or later/fr fall

All Seasons: GB Cultural info: CW/Matures 9-16/Harvest 2-4/Yield 96-383/ Spac 15 / Area 100
Days to Maturity: 85-95
Description: Fine flavor, a strong grower and sure header. Heat resistant. Heads 8" deep , 10" in diameter.   
<<

Offline bossgard

Isabell:

I keyed in all my vegetable plant data in GA100S36 originally, quite some time ago, from my seed packets.
(Before, I knew that it could have been 'Copied and Pasted'.)
I've never had to re-enter it anyplace else.
I have been working with Cabbages in Tasks today, and each plant specific varieties' information is showing where it's supposed
to be, in that plant specific area. And it was entered into GA100S36 a year or so ago.

Since the Vegetable Project Sessions are not over, maybe something will come up to help solve the problem you're having.

- Toby

Offline bossgard

Isabell:

I'm curious:
When you worked in GA100S36 WORK WITH PLANT PROFILE with your Cabbages, what information did you key in under the tab 'GENUS'?

In your 2nd paragraph of your recent posting, you mentioned; you ended up sorting my (your) cabbages and put all the data in the 'window'.
Please indentify 'window' by Screen number, ie., GA???????. It might help me to understand.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
I am equally baffled and need more details

In the absence of a reply with specific information from Isabell, lets go back to this:

There is really no window-pane in the GA047S03 for the plant specific information on that screen. To see that plant specific information one has to click on the 'All Notes' 

The All Notes button is provided in any screen where you have to compose text.
e.g. its in GA047S03 and it is also in GA047S04

In each case the All Notes button takes you to screen GA100S15.
There, you have (as it says) all notes in one screen - 5 different data fields with data you have keyed up elsewhere.
Furthermore, you can edit any field in GA100S15 and add more data.
Once you enter data you DO NOT have to re-enter the same data again.

Screen GA100S15, with ALL data, is to allow you to copy sections of text, for use  in your task notes (where you can paste the copied text).

Since we are on the subject, heres another tip:
Use the program Plant Data - GA022
Double click to edit a plant and get to screen GA022S02
The column on the left has the title: Data Records
In that list, all the various data fields are listed.

These notes apply to either:
a) the specific plant
b) the species
-or-
c) the entire Genus

Click once to display data (you can edit and add more text)
Note that you have data fields for every classification created using the program Plant Culture/Property classifications - GA003
e.g. Sunlight requirements, Soil Requirement

Note that you have data fields for every Care item which you created in the program GA011 - Plant Care Classifications
They are prefixed in the list with a star
e.g. *Sow, *Plant, *Divide

The data you enter in Care items is presented in that screen GA100S15 in the Tasks program
To re-emphasise, you do not have to re-enter data.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:13:29 AM by ideasguy »

Offline diegartenfrau

I will try to follow your and Toby's suggestions above now working through the steps. I have been reading it over and over and having a hard time following. Maybe I drank too much coffee and can't concentrate.

working through the steps you are describing is often the only way I can figure out what is going on and how to explain myself.
It is not always easy for me to follow and explain right away since English is my second language and I am still calling myself computer handicapped. So bare with me until I figure out how to explain what I wanted to explain. Because I think I did not explain it properly.

Maybe I should make a screen shot, but I forgot how to do one and my son who knows how to do it, is not here right now.
>lol< why can I never remember that one

Isabell

Offline diegartenfrau

Here are my thoughts.

So I am in Screen GAO47S04

The Task is for my Early Cabbage outdoor seeding
Right side of screen are my early cabbages listed, which I added to this task

I click on the 1st cabbage in the list. It is now high lighted in blue.
Below that field with the list is a small empty yellow field
Below is another field which has my notes from the
GA100S15 under Seed-  :- Notes relevant to this culture for this GENUS     Plant care

When I am in Screen GA1000S30PC where you define the plant care for each plant. You can choose the Months, and then apply it either to Whole Genus, Species or each Plant

Because many of the cabbages are seeded at different times and so have different plant care needs I selected the proper month  and applied it to specific plant only. Not to the Genus.

So now I went to the GA027S01 and just to make sure I added a new plant I actually do not own right now. Chinese Cabbage
I didn't want to mess with the data I already have put into the other cabbages. So this is a new plant.

I am going to edit the plant and go to GA100S36
In the field for Plant notes  I add a little info for this plant, then I do the same for species and Genus
When I click on 'Pests and Diseases' it has info for the Genus Cabbage in there for this topic already
same when I click on 'Propagation'; 'Cultivation'
In Genus, Plant, Species it only shows what I just input there.

As I wrote above in Plant care  GA1000S30PC I applied the Care 'Seed' to the month of April, choosing only the Chinese Cabbage applying it to only Plant not Genus or species.

So now I click on Plant Care top row of screen in GA100S36, ***Seed      Apr is highlighted in Blue and below in that green field
it shows all the plant care seeding notes, for the whole Genus. Not for the Plant.

This is where I am confused.
I thought if I apply the seed info only to the plant, instead the whole Genus I would be able to have the growing/seeding info for each variety separate. Instead I have the seeding info for the whole Genus in there.

So now I am editing that info. I copy it all to my note pad, so I don't loose the data.
I right click on the blue high lighted ****Seed   Apr brings me to GA100S09 the screen to edit.

I put info in for just that plant.
I am back in GA022
GA022S01 I select the Chinese Cabbage I am  now in GA022S02
Above in the yellow field it says "Notes in edit are applicable to all plants in Genus:- Cabbage Brassica "

As I go through selecting Genus, Species, Plant, Cultivation Data it has all the info as edited in the GA100S36
the Plant Care *Seed also has the info just as I edited.

Now I went back to the task program GA047S04 I selected my Dates/Notes for the Early Cabbage outdoor seeding

Again there is the list of the 4 Cabbages in that task, below is the info for the seeding. The Chinese Cabbage is not in that list.
Now in the window below the listed Cabbages it shows the seeding info I input for the Chinese Cabbage in
***Seed -Plant Care window, the one I thought is only applied to the specific plant only. All the other seeding info for the other cabbages is not there. Good that I saved them on my note pad.

I click on all notes. I see all my info, but in   " Seed                :- Notes relevant to this culture for this GENUS "
the window on the bottom is only has the seed info I see in the previous GA047S04 window below the list.

So that means I can't have specific seeding info in that window for the specific plant. It only shows the seeding info for the whole Genus. I don't understand why, since I am applying that seed Plant Care info to 'Plant' only not 'Genus'

I do the same selecting the Edit Task in GA047S01, same info there.

So in the Program GA047S04 where I select the task dates I do not have the Seed Data for the specific plant I need the info for.

I could put it into the 'Specific Notes relevant to THIS plant ONLY ' but that involves again clicking and going from screen to screen, something I would like to avoid.
It would be nice to have my seeding dates in the same window then the one I want to edit my dates in. So when I highlight a Cabbage in that list, I have the info right in Front of me.

Start tasks program GA047:
Select a task
Click Dates/Notes button
GA047S04 appears
Click the All Notes button
Screen GA100S15 appears
ALL the data fields are there for you to see.
Copy and paste the bits of text you need, and put the text into the appropriate fields in your Task.
Does that help?

Are you managing to copy and paste from the data field in GA100S15 into your task?
Please answer Isabell
Once youve put the specific data into your task notes, you dont need to go back to screen GA100S15

George maybe I am not following you here. Where am I supposed to paste the data from Notes into.
I tried all the fields below the task with the cabbages are listed in GA047S03 and Edit Dates GA047S04
The only place I am able to paste is in the 'All Notes' window but then I don't see the plant specific info in the Task or Edit/Dates screen. I only see the 'Seed                :- Notes relevant to this culture for this GENUS ' notes.

I hope I explained my troubles better. If not I will try to figure out how to do the screen shot so you can see what I am seeing.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
I can now understand where you are getting confused

In Screen GA100S30PC
Because many of the cabbages are seeded at different times and so have different plant care needs I selected the proper month  and applied it to specific plant only. Not to the Genus.
That is perfect

I thought if I apply the seed info only to the plant, instead the whole Genus I would be able to
have the growing/seeding info for each variety separate.
Instead I have the seeding info for the whole Genus in there
In screen GA100S30PC, you have that Notes button
First select a Plant care topic e.g. Sow
Click the Notes button
You can then enter Plant Care information about the Plant Care topic= Sow
However, that Plant Care information applies to the whole Genus and as such is completely independent of the Months you applied to that single plant (Chinese cabbage)
From what I read, you have been overwriting that Genus wide field with specific information about that plant Chinese Cabbage.

Heres what you should do in GA100S30PC (or other screens which allow you to edit Plant Care notes)
Select Plant Care= Sow
Click the Notes button - takes you to screen GA100S09
Enter BOTH (or all) information about Plant Care topic= Sow
This screenshot explains:

If you send me an email with the exact data you are entering for Cabbage in general and what you are entering for Chinese cabbage, I will update the screenshots

Then, when you go to editing,this screenshot explains what to do when you click the All Notes button and get to screen GA100S15

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:46:50 AM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
RE:
Where am I supposed to paste the data from Notes into.

Having copied data from screen GA100S15 (see screenshots in previous posting) you can paste that data into:
a) The Task Date Notes data field in GA047S04

OR, you can paste data into the Task Notes field in GA047S03

Offline diegartenfrau

Alright George,

I think we both are now talking the same language and about the same thing :)

This is exactly what I did in the end. I pasted the important seeding data for all the cabbages in the
Seed/sow-  :- Notes relevant to this culture for this GENUS section. Sorting it out for each variety.

So I already have all this info now in there. Since I now understand this is exactly how to deal with that information, I just will for my other crops do the same.
I guess since most vegetable varieties have the same seeding/growing information applying to all, with pretty much the same growing requirements for the various Cultivators, it is not too much of a problem to do it that way. I just have then all the Cabbage/Cauliflower info for all in there.

Still, I would have preferred having the seeding info separate for each plant, since I am using so many different Cultivators of the same kind. I would have made it more organized for me. I think I might be a bit over organizing my vegetables >lol<

Now if I could just translate the computer organizing to my actual garden I think I should win a price. But since my vegetable gardening is not as organized then the theory on my computer I still have a long way to go.......>lol<

Thanks George for clarifying this for me. I truly appreciate your help sorting my messy thought processes for me

Thanks
Isabell

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
I'm delighted to have got to the bottom of all this. It took me a while to put those screenshots and captions together but it was worth it. Hopefully others will also learn from them.

I think you'll find it will be easier to do it at Genus level.
If you had been able to do it at plant level then you would have had to repeat the data entry for other individual plants.
Doing it at Genus level means you only have to enter it once, and it can be displayed for all plants in the genus.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
RE: This from Isabells posting, discussing screen GA047S04:
I click on the 1st cabbage in the list. It is now high lighted in blue.
Below that field with the list is a small empty yellow field
Below is another field which has my notes from the
GA100S15 under Seed-  :- Notes relevant to this culture for this GENUS     Plant care

Ive modified the program and added a caption to that small empty yellow field (screen GA047S04)
Please download this version:
www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/GA047-dl.exe
When installed, should indicate Version 16 (or perhaps higher if done at a later date)