Author Topic: Installing on Windows 7  (Read 3040 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Installing on Windows 7
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
A new Bank Genie user has reported this problem:

I've just downloaded this product and tried to open it for the first time and my computer prepairs to install, then comes up with the message " this installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator"  This is my personal laptop that I've just brought. What's wrong?

Latest report is:
Thanks for your reply but I'm still having problems, I've reduced the security on my laptop and now the programme tries to install but now comes up with the message fatal error during installation. I have Windows 7 which is new to me, I've saved the download to a removable drive and gone through the setup which has left an icon on my desktop. When I double click this icon Windows installer ties to install the programme , extracts the files then comes up with the error message. Any ideas?

I know some members have installed and are running Bank Genie on Windows 7.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:08:44 PM by ideasguy »

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
    • John & Kath B's Photo Album
Re: Installing on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:07:26 AM »
George,
I've not experienced the exact conditions mentioned here, but have experienced some similar problems under Windows 7 - even with mainstream products.

Sometimes, running the program with Administrator privileges will alleviate the issue - probably more so as you install a program. This is a safer bet than lowering the overall security profile of the computer.

Instead of double clicking on the installation program, or the main program, right-click the icon/program file and the menu should show a 'Run as administrator' option. Use that.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »
Thanks for that valuable info John.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:36:34 PM »
Not tried BanKgenie, but Ideas Genie Pro downloaded with no trouble straight from the Disc. The registration  caused no trouble and the Update from my backup disc worked too.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:50:36 PM »
Thanks Eric.
That is a huge relief to know that you (and others I know of) have installed quite easily, I can tell you :)

Ive just had a (long) conversation with Peter on the phone and we have managed to get him up and running with Bank Genie.

Ive invited Peter along to join us on the forum and comment on how we dealt with that "challenge".

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:52:08 PM by ideasguy »

peetee

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
After a long conversation with George I'm up and running. You were partly right John B, the failure to install was due to Windows administrator not allowing the programme to load but instead of right clicking the desktop icon to be able to activate the "run as admiistrator" option (which did'nt work) we had to find the programme in explorer, double click on it to open the files, then right click on the file "ifg_bg" which then gives the run as administrator option. The programme then loaded and will only open subsequently if this file (ifg_bg) is double clicked. To overcome this right click the file again, and creat a shortcut which is put on the desktop in place of the original. This sort of thing never happened in XP but this is a new laptop so I don't have a choice. Thanks everyone, Peter.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
I have been a long-time user of Win XP and have just recently purchased a new PC with Windows 7 pre-installed.

It does take some getting used to though.  Folder structure is different and the security has been tightened up.

Once you are able to find your way around I think that Windows 7 is by far the best Operating System to date.

As many members of the Forum have found, if you get into any difficulties using your computer for whatever reason, then you'll always find one (or more) of our members will help you out.

It is this willingness that makes the Forum what it is today.  A friendly and informative environment to be a part of.

Laurie.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:16:21 PM »
Quite right Laurie.
It was John B's reply about right clicking and Running as administrator that jogged my memory and saved the day here.
Thanks ever so much John! 8)

Fortunately, Peter is very good at navigating through folders and working with shortcuts so it was easy to get the problem solved as a "team".
We then spent a short time exploring Bank Genie, and I pointed out how to use Help. Once the user knows how to do that, there is loads of information around the system.

A very relieved guy here :)

Your summary of what we did is excellent Peter 8)
Its good to have it here in the forum to refer to if it happens again :o

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:18:19 PM by ideasguy »