Author Topic: Specimens question  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

Specimens question
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »
Could someone clarify the procedure please to record having two or more specimens of the same plant variety in different parts of the garden? I'm just not sure how this works - having tried a couple of what seemed possible ways and finishing up with a plant disappearing from one area in the program. I've done this successfully some time ago with two specimens of Laurus nobilis so maybe I've been at the computer too long on this cold wet day.

Trevor
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:40:19 PM by Trevor Ellis »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Specimens question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
Cold and wet here as well, Trevor!
Mind you it has been very dry and mild up to now so can't complain!

Use the Specimens program GA029
Add two specimens for Laurus nobilis.
When you add each specimen, you select the Garden area it belongs to.
Let me know how it goes.

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:39:37 PM »
Cold and wet here as well, Trevor!
Mind you it has been very dry and mild up to now so can't complain!

Use the Specimens program GA029

Hi George

In 29s01 Dryopteris erythrosora shows in 'Bed 2 north side of house - east'.
The same plant is listed in 004s01.
I move to 100s36, click on specimens and the plant appears - owned for 5 years.
Everything OK so far.
Back to 029s01 and move from the previous garden area to one designated as 'Aviary corner'.
I click on specimens and the same plant appears which I've owned for 5 years.
So I want the new specimen of the same plant that I bought this year.
When I try to add another specimen of the same variety within a different garden area and from a different supplier, I get the message 'This specimen name already exists - NOT added.'
Back in s01, Dryopteris erythrosora shows as having no specimens of the plant defined.
If I click on that to go back to 100s23 again with the Aviary corner showing, and the date obtained as this year, when I click on 'Add', again I get the notification 'Specimen name already exists - NOT added'

This all probably looks somewhat confusing and I'm probably overlooking something very simple.
If you can make sense of the above George and see the solution too, it would be great.

Regards,
Trevor

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:05:11 PM »
Simple enough Trevor
RE:
'This specimen name already exists - NOT added.'
Its the specimen name. It has to be a different name each time you add.
You may have left it blank first time, and if you attempt to add another one with a blank name it will give the same message.
Simply give the specimen a unique name in the appropriate field.
Let me know if that solves the problem

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
Oh dear George,

I must have been really out of sorts yesterday. Of course the solution was simple - how could I not have seen that! I do it all the time with photographs when saving them by just putting a number on the end of the same name. Ah well, there's no accounting for things sometimes. Sorry for taking your time. I'm glad that both you and Malcolm thought that the provision for crytogams was worthwhile and look forward to the inclusion. Just a little additional honing to an already superb programme. I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum yesterday that you're planning yet another release - or did I not read the date and you were refering to the last update!?
Thanks for nudging me back on track yesterday.

Best regards,

Trevor

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:58:50 AM »
No problem Trevor.
Its always encouraging for me when I hear from someone getting into those features, so I certainly don't mind taking a little time to reply. Very often its a little prompt for others to try and do what they read about in these topics so thats another bonus.
Indeed, you may well have asked the question that others were too shy to ask, and thats even worse!
So, fire away folk!

Having spent a long time on each feature you "find", its great to know that they are actually being used.