Author Topic: All signed up again for 2010  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
All signed up again for 2010
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »

Yes September is the deadline for signing up for next years NGS openings.

At the end of our last opening this year, the plant stall was decidedly empty, So we have been on forays out to get plants we can grow on through the winter and split them up in spring. Also to get some plants for ourselves as well. One trip to 2 nurseries was 150 miles round trip. ::)

We had one visitor come up to me and say " I see you have the National collection". of what I said, puzzled, Phlox said the lady. Well we have 24 different Phlox paniculata, and 4 maculata with a couple of carolina as well, but nothing like a National collection.

We have already started moving some plants around, and getting rid of a few we don't like after all  ::).We have divided up some Iris sibirica and ensata as they were getting congested. We now have over 100 of them in 2litre pots, for next years plant stall  ;D There will be lots of Phlox and Monarda to thin out in the spring, so back to the same old problem, where to store them till next July.

We use a lot of 2 and 3 litre pots, so far in the 9 years of opening we have not had to buy any. Several years ago I was at a job mending the washing machine, and we gat talking gardens, I ended up coming away with a van full of pots the owner had collected over time, and was storing them in a spare shed, we are stiil using some of those. We also have a sign on the end of the plant stall facing the road, asking for people to recycle pots by lobbing them over the gate for us.  ;D

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: All signed up again for 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:05:35 PM »
I'm proud of you, Lyn and  Malcolm!
Heres wishing you a very successful 2010!

I find it difficult finding space in the greenhouse and on my outdoor staging for the loads of plants I have in pots for my own selfish needs. OK, I grow quite a lot of plants for my sons and my sisters, but nothing like the quantity you propagate.
Hats off to you for doing that in ever so many multiples to have plants for sale.
Not only that, but you have to overwinter all those large tender plants  :o
You must be a magician as well as Mr Gadget!

Keep up that "National Collection".
503 Phlox in the Master Database of which 237 are cultivars of Phlox paniculata
Does anybody really have a National Collection of so may plants?
What percentage of the total number must a holder have to qualify? I recall reading it somewhere.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »

Not a magician George, just stupid.
I reckon to have those tender plants in protection by Nov 5th, when I reckon we normally start damaging frosts, so wont be long now, A shame when we have plants like Ricinus New Zealnd Purple at about nearly 3 metres tall now, which as you know we grew from seed sown in January. We don't overwinter the plants, tried several times without success, and no room anyway.

Not sure of the percentage of total number of plants you need for a national collection, but I believe of the plants you do have in the collection, you should have at least 3 of each plant. Imagine only having one and you lost it  :o

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:06:11 AM »
I didn't know you had to have 3 of each. That does indeed make it rather unattainable for a lot of people.

Absolutely not. Lets go with magician ;)

RE:
Ricinus New Zealand Purple at about nearly 3 metres tall now
Wow! That is some plant!
I followed your recommendation to grow that one this year, but when I went to place my order with Chiltern they were sold out. Better luck next year.
Mind you, I wouldn't want them to grow to 9ft :o I'll keep to sowing them a little later than you :)

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 05:01:38 PM »
Good luck with your 2010 season Lyn and Malcolm.

You're great ambassadors for the gardening world.

Laurie.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 06:49:59 PM »

Thanks Laurie

Don't over do that decorating and house moving, a stressfulf time.

Malcolm