Author Topic: A decorated lychgate  (Read 6475 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
A decorated lychgate
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »
I called in at Fawley church in Buckinghamshire yesterday. I think there must have been a wedding the day before because I found this floral decoration on the lychgate.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: A decorated lychgate
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:48:48 AM »
That is a very impressive arrangement, Eric. I hope you had a nice day.
What flowers have they used? The long trailing white flowers at each side? The mauve/blue flowers?

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »
A beautiful piece of architecture there Eric, and that flower display sets it off a treat.  :)

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:35:06 AM »
What flowers have they used? The long trailing white flowers at each side? The mauve/blue flowers?
The mauve blue were hydrangeas and agapanthus, George. The cream were mainly lilies and roses. I am not sure about  the white trailing ones, they could have been delphiniums possibly?

A beautiful piece of architecture there Eric, and that flower display sets it off a treat
Yes, Laurie. It was quite impressive. It is such a shame it is in a very quiet country lane so apart from the wedding guests and a few in church yesterday morning there would not be many  people to admire it.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »
I must ask Chrissie (The Gardener on the forum) to look in to tell us what she thinks they are. She is the Flower Arranging expert as you know.

We were at a funeral yesterday. There were so many wreaths, they couldnt get them all on the grave.
They were absolutely beautiful.
As I watched and the grave became covered, I thought they would step back and place the others close by.
To my surprise, they piled them two deep :o
It was a grandson of the dear lady who had died, not the undertakers, who had the impossible task.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »

Could the long white flowers be Gladiolus, and the light blue flowers Hydrangea ?

Malcolm

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:45:38 PM »
That is a really lovely arrangement of summer flowers.  The picture is a bit too small for me to be certain (eyesight not what it used to be!!), but I would say that the long trailing white flowers are delphiniums as they appear to have spurs at the back of each flower.  The blue flowers look like hydrangea and agapanthus.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:09:15 AM »
Thanks Chrissie and Malcolm and Eric :)

Its nice to know there are a number of flower options to create that effect! I think that is the important thing.
I wonder whose garden was raided to get those flowers :o
Cutting my beloved Agapanthus blooms would be sacrilege :D