Author Topic: Plant classification  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

Plant classification
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »
I was reading with interest the recent posts by Palustris and the comments from George and it put in mind a website (http://data.kew.org/vpfg1992/genlist.html#D) run by Kew gardens re. Vascular plant families and Genera. Anyone interested in 'getting to the bottom of things' plant-wise might find this a useful site. It groups all plant families into the five main groups i.e. Ferns, Fern Allies, Gymnosperms, Dicotyledons and Monocotyledons and lists all families under the appropriate group heading and with alphabetical listing. Perhaps a simple addition to IGpro and perhaps Flowergenie too would be the facility to add the major group heading to the 'family' classification. I tried this by inputting 'Monocotyledon: Iridaceae' for a Dierama entry that I have but the box would only handle as far as 'Irid'. Would there be a problem with addiing a bit more space for this George?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Plant classification
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
Thats a very useful link, Trevor.

Its another "higher tier" in the classification of plants, and at the time of system design I stopped at Family level.
Reason being that most garden reference books are organised by Genus, and in the introduction to each Genus, the Family name is given, no higher.

Whats the feelings of our IG Pro users on this?