Author Topic: Stipa Tenuissima 'Pony Tails'  (Read 3964 times)

NightHawk

Stipa Tenuissima 'Pony Tails'
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
Over the past few days we have just moved two of our Stipa Tenuissima 'Pony Tail' grasses from one position in our front garden to another in the same area.

We have noticed that both of these plants have dropped to the ground and have not perked up at all.

They are both established plants, about twenty inches in height, but they show no sign of life.

We thought that, being a grass, they would thrive without any problems, but we fear we have lost them.

Do these grasses not like being moved once established?

We don't want to dig them up and dispose of them if there's still a chance they may pick up.

We have several other 'Pony Tail' grasses in the same garden (that haven't been moved) and they are thriving wonderfully.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Stipa Tenuissima 'Pony Tails'
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:24:05 PM »
I would expect most plants to droop after a move at this time of year, Laurie, especially if the have soft flexible stems.

It would also depend on how much root ball you managed to dig up in the transplant. If the roots were severed, then expect the plant to go limp for a while. If youve got a good root ball I would expect it to recover at some stage if you keep it watered.

Keep us informed. Its an interesting "experiment".

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
Well, the final result was that the two 'Pony Tails' we trans-planted did not perk up and they have been relegated to the compost heap.  :(

When we first moved them they did have a good root-ball on them but it obviously wasn't enough.  It appears that established 'Pony Tail' grasses don't respond well to relocation.

Other people may have had better results, and it would be interesting to hear how a successful move was achieved.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »
I'm as much surprised as you are disappointed Laurie.
Do you have any clumps of that plant growing elsewhere in the garden or is that it lost completely?

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
We have several other 'Pony Tails' growing both in the front and rear gardens.

They are very healthy and growing well, because they have never been moved.

The two we moved have died completely, and in fact one of them had actually uprooted itself and was laid on top of the soil.  ???

Very odd.  Ho-hum  ::)

Laurie.