Author Topic: Hanging flower arrangement.  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Hanging flower arrangement.
« on: July 02, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »
George knows that Anthea and I went to a Golden Wedding part last Sunday. It was held in a marquee and there were two beautiful flower arrangements hanging from the ridge. Here is one of them.

There were twelve circular tables and each had a centre piece like this

Finally, I was pleased that we were seated at the Gertrude Jekyll table  :)

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Hanging flower arrangement.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
Very nice photos indeed Eric. I hope you and Anthea had a lovely day out :)
The table was certainly appropriately named. Were the other guests at your table keen on gardening?
I see one guest at your table was called Posie! What a lovely name :)

Re the flowers in the hanging and table arrangements. David Austin's Rosa Gertrude Jekyll, I assume?
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/main.asp
Outstanding fragrance is one outstanding property. It must have been nice to sit around those delights of nature.

Incidentally, Jekyll is an anagram of my surname  ;)

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »
Surprisingly the conversations didn't turn to gardening, George, although naturally the flower arrangements were commented on. Each table was given the name of a rose so you are right that it would be David Austin's Gertrude Jekyll. Thanks for the link.
Just been trying to work out the anagram but seem to get left with a spare "J" or am I missing something  :-[ ??? :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »
Ah yes, my apologies, theres is indeed an extra J. Its the initial of the first name of my son and grandsons - Julian Jordan and James though  :)
Theres a story I once read, where the name Jekyll was the exact same anagram referring to a notorious person from London :o

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
What beautiful flower arrangements, Eric!  The colours are lovely, and the use of summer flowers and foliage is super.   The hanging arrangement is a lovely idea.  I don't know if you could see the mechanics of it (probably not if it was made properly!), but I'm guessing it was probably an Oasis sphere.  It would be interesting to know how long the arrangements lasted in this heat!  ???

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:38:26 PM »
I agree about the flower arrangement. We were back at our friends' house this afternoon for tea so I took the opportunity of asking about them. I remember years ago he learned to do arrangements and  he did the two hanging arrangements and the table settings himself the evening before the party. He bought all the flowers from David Austin. He made the core of Oasis flower foam encases in wire netting. I think you will agree that he is extremely talented.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »
Its great to be able to ask the person who created those fantastic arrangements directly, Eric!
Please let him know his efforts were very much appreciated, and since they are now web images they will be a source of inspiration to many others.

I wonder if he has a list of the rose used for each table?

The very big question. You had the foresight and appreciation to take photos of the arrangement on your table. I wonder if other guests (or your friend who did the arrangements) took photos of the arrangements on the other tables?
I for one would love to see those arrangements made from those David Austin roses.

To our more recent members, an introduction is required at this stage.
I made contact with Chrissie (The Gardener) a few years ago, commenting on her excellent website.
It is one of the best Ive come across on the net, for many reasons. Heres the link:
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/
Chrissie is also a member (and judge) of this Flower Arranging Society
http://www.bromsgroveflowerclub.org.uk/

Chrissie has become quite a celebrity since we first made contact (and thoroughly deserved), as she now writes a weekly column for the Garden News magazine:
http://www.liveforgardening.com/inthisissue/221116/garden_news_and_garden_answers.html
Treat yourself to a copy next time you are in your Newsagents and have a read over Chrissies column.

When I saw Eric's posting (and my posting on our Posy) I thought I'd send an email and invite Chrissie to pay us a visit.
Thanks for taking up the invitation - its lovely to see you here again Chrissie!
I'd love to add more photos to this Floristry section, and we can get many tips from your very resourceful website.

Some very pleasant surfing there in those links folk ;)
I know you will enjoy them every bit as much as I have.

If you push your Master Database into your drive and open the database (Swap using FG026 or GA026), then use GA037 or GA004 and locate the gardener profile Chrissie Harten you'll find a list of plants in Chrissies garden (as of a few years ago) (they are mostly in the Holding Bed)
Chrissie has photos of most of them, so one day perhaps, the Flower Genie database will be completed.
I'm sure there will be lots of encouragement from our members! 

Keep posting folk!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:17:53 AM by ideasguy »

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »
He bought all the flowers from David Austin. He made the core of Oasis flower foam encases in wire netting. I think you will agree that he is extremely talented.

Ah, yes, I see.  That's a good alternative (and cheaper!) than an Oasis sphere.  I thought they looked like David Austin roses - they are extremely popular in flower arrangements now, and deservedly so.  I certainly agree that your friend is very talented.  I sometimes think that flower arrangers have the edge over professional florists somehow - their arrangements seem more open and creative.  :)