Author Topic: Cliveden, Buckinghamshire  (Read 7140 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Cliveden, Buckinghamshire
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
I think it is about time I posted another garden to visit. I suppose garden is not strictly the description. There are 375 acres of which 180 acres are “gardens” and the rest woodland. There are several areas which are more intimate gardens each with their own character. The best time to visit is definitely in the spring when there are masses of spring flowers.

The approach to the house up a lime avenue. The shell fountain, known as the "Fountain of Love" was sculpted by Thomas Waldo Story, (American, 1855–1915) in Rome in 1897 and was commissioned by Lord Astor for this site.

Another view of the shell fountain.

Designed by Sir Charles Barry and built 1850-1 on the site of a 17th century house whose terrace and balustrades were retained.

The Water Garden was laid out by the 1st Lord Astor in c.1900. This shows the pagoda, on an island, bought from the Bagatelle estate in Paris. The planting here is mostly Spring-flowering: cherry trees, bush wisterias and giant gunneras.

The water garden

The Long Garden consists of topiary in the form of corkscrew-spirals, peacocks and box hedges and was designed by Norah Lindsay in c.1900.

17th century Borghese Balustrade on the Parterre. Purchased by Lord Astor in the late 19th century from the Villa Borghese gardens in Rome

A detail of the "Borghese" balustrade

The earliest known garden buildings at Cliveden were both designed by Giacomo Leoni for Lord Orkney. This is the
Octagon Temple, situated two-hundred feet above the Thames.

The Blenheim Pavilion designed by Leoni c1727

A few more details

The River Thames 200 feet below.

I realise that I have not included any flowers so I will finish of with three taken in September. The first two are, of course, autumn crocuses.

The last one, I don’t know the name of. Perhaps someone can help?

Eric H
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:25:28 AM by Eric Hardy »

NightHawk

Re: Cliveden, Buckinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
Thank you for bringing these gardens to our attention Eric, they are really stunning.

A very well-presented display with your photographs accompanied with a little bit of the history behind the gardens and its features.

Well done!

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:50:44 AM »
Absolutely brilliant Eric.
I really do love looking at these architectural masterpieces. Makes the creations of modern designers look what they are - pathetic.

Do they make ANYTHING like that any more? In todays money, they would cost many millions, but I'm sure there are a few around who could afford it.

Do I see Anthea on the balustrade in one of the shots?

The view down the path to the Thames - now that is a breathtaking Vista.
My camera crazy colleagues are very impressed with all your photos, that one in particular.

Ive never seen such a BIG bird bath   ;D
Seriously, that place is absolutely beautiful, with so many fascinating features.

Thanks once again for posting!

The last flower looks like a variety of Schizostylis coccinea.
Its one of my (many) favourites.
One pink variety in my garden flowers in Nov, Dec and Jan. Invaluable in the garden.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:53:23 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:44:47 PM »
Thank you for bringing these gardens to our attention Eric, they are really stunning.
Thank you for your kind remarks Laurie. This place is really worth a visit. We are lucky in that they are only 20 minutes drive away. Our children gave us life membership of the National Trust as a present  nearly 20 years ago so we can pop in as often as we like for no charge.

Makes the creations of modern designers look what they are - pathetic.
Do they make ANYTHING like that any more? In todays money, they would cost many millions, but I'm sure there are a few around who could afford it.
There are a couple of architects who try to do this sort of thing (not on this lavish scale, obviously).

One is Quinlan Terry (a favourite architect of Prince Charles) who tries to imitate the past with varying degrees of success and not loved by modern architects.
http://www.qftarchitects.net/1024index.html

Another architect doing similar work, but a better architect in my opinion than Quinlan Terry is Robert Adam (no not THE Robert Adam). http://www.robertadamarchitects.com/

I am the very lucky owner of Volumes I and II of Colin Campbell?s ?Vitruvius Britannicus? which were given to me in about 1960 by my then senior partner. He was on the point of retiring and presented me with a number of very valuable old books. These were published in 1715 and consist of engravings of the important buildings of the day. It contains an elevation showing Cliveden as it was then and as built in 1666. In case you are interested I have just taken a photo of the double page spread showing the elevation. (the wavy lines are because I cannot flatten the book) The raised terrace still exists today.

Do I see Anthea on the balustrade in one of the shots?
Short answer - yes  :)

The last flower looks like a variety of Schizostylis coccinea.
Thanks George

Finally, thank you George and Laurie for your encouraging remarks. It makes it feel worthwhile posting these shots  :D

Eric H
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:24:23 AM by Eric Hardy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:02:34 PM »
I like that cottage of yours, Eric  :)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:47:33 PM »

I would make do with that balcony. Lovely pictures again Eric, thank you for posting them for us.

Malcolm