Author Topic: The Vyne, Hampshire  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
The Vyne, Hampshire
« on: May 24, 2009, 12:32:03 PM »
I thought it time to add another National Trust place to visit, The Vyne, in Hampshire. It is not strictly a garden but a 16th century house with later additions in a large country-park with gardens, lake, meadows, woods and wetlands. It also has a hide for bird watching which I will illustrate for Kathy, & Laurie and Lynn & Malcolm. We have visited both in September and April so you may notice some difference in the shots.

The Entrance Front

The Entrance Front

Stable block

South wing

West front

West front seen across the lake

The 17th century brick summerhouse, a favourite of mine.

One or two of the grounds and lake: -

And a few plants, nothing unusual or exotic but pleasant: -
Sorry I can't name them all. If anyone wants to tell me what they are please do.

Autumn crocus

Sedum

Japanese anemone

Saxifrage

Gunnera (giant rhubarb) September 2008 growing by the lake

The very same plant in April 2009

And finally, the bird watching hide specially posted for Kathy & Laurie and Lynn & Malcolm  :)

And from inside (but not a bird in (my) sight!  :(

Eric H

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:15:31 PM by Eric Hardy »

NightHawk

Re: The Vyne, Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Great set of photos, as usual, there Eric.

It certainly does look like a good place to visit.

Thanks for putting in the 'bird' interest as well Eric.

The lack of birds when you took those shots from the hide are what Kathy would call a Kit-Kat Moment.

If you remember the British TV advert where a guy is set up with his camera to get some photos of Panda Bears, watches for ages and they're nowhere to be seen.  They're inside their hut.
He then sits down to have his Kit-Kat with his back to the Panda enclosure.  Suddenly they appear from the hut doing all sorts of acrobatics on roller-skates that the guy doesn't see.  Then by the time he finishes and turns round to his camera again they've disappeared into the hut.

We can relate to that, as it's happened to us a few times recently.  We go regularly to a new RSPB Reserve near to us that opened this year, and we hear of migrants that have been in and gone again on days we weren't there, or when we were in a different hide at the time. Ho-hum.  ::)

Laurie.