Author Topic: Rodmarton Manor  (Read 4011 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Rodmarton Manor
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »
Heres a special House and Garden for you to visit:
http://www.rodmarton-manor.co.uk/garden.html

From the web page:
To quote Tim Richardson (English Gardens in the Twentieth Century-Aurum Press 2005) ?Hidcote and Sissinghurst may have emerged as indisputably the most influential English gardens of the twentieth century... but perhaps Rodmarton should be up there with them... Hidcote has its unique ?otherness?, Sissinghurst its irresistible biographical appeal, but Rodmarton is possessed of an intense and sequestered atmosphere that is all its own, and even now retains a strong sense of its original integrity.?

Special because the owner uses Ideas Genie, and now Ideas Genie Pro.

Has anyone visited Rodmarton Manor?

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Rodmarton Manor
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:33:21 AM »
Thanks for that link, George. We have never heard of Rodmarton Manor but I have just checked and it is only 70 miles away. It will make a nice day out because it is a very nice drive from here to Cirencester. We can combine it with a church crawl. I like to photograph churches when we are out and about too.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Rodmarton Manor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »
That would be great if you could visit the House and Gardens. From your postings of other Houses and Gardens I think you will enjoy it.
Please take lots of photos. I'd love to see the results.

On the website, you'll notice that they have a large collection of Snowdrops
Snowdrops (Genus Galanthus) feature strongly at Rodmarton Manor where there are at least 150 different sorts, some small, some huge, with many different markings ? some yellow and some green and including many rare ones.

They flower from October to March with the main ones flowering January/ February.

You've missed the snowdrops this year, but the other parts of gardens will be very interesting in summer.
Each part of this Gloucestershire garden has a different character ranging from the alpines in troughs, bigger plants in the rockery, lawns, a large kitchen garden, white borders, to the magnificent herbaceous borders which are constantly being replanted and improved.

If you can, ask to speak to the owner, Simon Biddulph, and be sure to let him know you are also an IG Pro user, and invite him to the forum.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:59:11 AM by ideasguy »