Author Topic: Ightham Moat, Kent  (Read 7990 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Ightham Moat, Kent
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »
Another National Trust property in Kent, Ightham Moat is a good place to visit. It has lovely gardens with water features, lakeside and woodland walks, in a secluded valley. Here are some shots : -

Eric H

NightHawk

Re: Ightham Moat, Kent
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »
It looks enchanting.  Thanks again for sharing this with us.

If we ever get down to that part of the country, it will be on our 'to do' list.  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »
Loevley place indeed,Eric. Keep posting these magnificent houses and gardens!

Any idea what that plant is in the last photo Eric?
I think pink flower on its right is Lychnis coronaria. Its usually about 3ft tall, so that main subject must be slightly taller (?)

Is that Valerian by the pond side?

I think I spot a nice stand of Euphorbia characias in the foreground of that magnificent photo of the house.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:35:32 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »
Most certainly valerian on the side of the moat, George,  but I have no idea what that extraordinary plant is. Here is another shot with more of the surroundings. I have made it larger to give you a better idea.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »
That photo shows the foliage very clearly, Eric, so I'm sure one of our members will be able to give an ID.

Its a fine looking plant!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:18:27 AM »
Here is an update. I don't know whether anyone noticed but when we last visited Ightham Mote almost half the building was covered with scaffolding so my photos were a bit one sided  :). In the first photo of my original post you can just see it. The weekend before last we went to a family wedding in Kent and stayed overnight at an excellent  B & B in the village of Ightham. Before setting off for home we paid another visit and I was able to take pictures of the other side. An added bonus was that the National Trust have relaxed their "no photography" rule inside the house, the only stipulation being "no flash". As previously, the Valerian around the moat was a delight.

It was "Father's Day" and there were one or two activities such as fishing in the moat. They were catching quite a few smallish fish and one or two larger ones. They were using humane hooks without a barb and were putting them back. Still quite a shock for the fish, I would have thought  ::)

As it was "Father's Day" they also had a collection of MG cars in the drive that I couldn't resist taking. I think I took pictures of them all  :) but here are one or two.

And this is inside the courtyard (Anthea's wheelchair below the window  :))

Inside staircase

The "New" Chapel

The Drawing Room

18th century Chinese wallpaper

An early Jacobean fireplace

Self portrait  ;)

That's it folks - I hope you enjoyed a return visit.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »
Great photos again there Eric - much better without the scaffolding  :D

Nice cheeky little self-portrait too.

Ightham Moat is not a place we have ever visited (and unlikely one we will ever get to), so thanks for sharing those photos with us.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
Thanks, Laurie. Ightham is much nearer to you now you have moved house, so you might make it one day. If you make it to here there are a lot of good gardens to visit like Sissinghurst and Dixters.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
Eric:

I want to add my personal thanks to you, for posting these pictures of the Moat at Kent, England!

Close to the area here in the US, where I do my vegetable and flower gardens, there is a city by the name of Kent, in the state of Washington, in the Pacific Northwest corner of the US. If you can find Seattle on the map, we are off in a southerly direction. George visited Seattle several years ago, to visit and display his software at a flower show. We did not become acquainted until later, when I started to use the IdeasGenie Pro software.

In checking some historical information of the area, I?ve come across this:
?How KENT was named ?
   Kent owes its name to what at the time of its christening was the area?s most important agricultural crop.
   In the year 1884 Henry J. Yesler, pioneer Seattle sawmill operator, purchased a portion of the S.W. Russell donation claim and platted it for a town which he hoped would be called ?Yesler?.
   At this time, however, there was already agitation to call the prosperous and growing little community ?Titusville? in honor of James H. Titus, pioneer farmer and blacksmith.
   Rivalries between the proponents of the names ?Yesler? and ?Titusville? resulted in a call by the U.S. Post office department for a more suitable name with would please everyone.
   At that time what is now Kent was the recognized center of the profitable hop growing industry. Various meetings were held for the purpose of selecting a name and it was finally agreed to call it ?Kent? as a tribute to the famous hop growing center of the British Isles, Kent England.
   Credit for selecting the name has been given to various persons, but it probably belongs to a Jewish hop buyer by the name of Issac Pincus.?

Along with this, may I take the liberty to include some of my family?s history? My great grandfather was born in 1839 in Hollingbourne, Kent, England. His wife was born in 1841 in Gillingham, Kent, England. My grandfather was born in 1864 in Hamlet of Grange ? Gillingham, England, County of Kent. My father was born in the US in 1892; my mother was born in 1889 in Sittingbourne, Kent, England. My father was the first child of ten, all raised here in the US.  I am the fourth child of my parents, born in 1928. 

To my knowledge, the family had no connection to the hop raising industry, although I can remember one year that my grandfather had a commercial crop of garden peas on rented property. As kids, we were duty-bound to help harvest the crop! The hop raising industry ended about 10 years after its start, succumbing to a virus.

Any pictures or remembrances of the areas mentioned would be greatly appreciated from you and other Forum Members! My mother also mentioned the city of Maidenstone. My grandparents were married in 1890 in the Borden Parish Church.

Thanks, again, Eric! It? a small, small world, after all!

-Toby

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:04:59 PM »
Hi Toby,

That is very interesting to hear you have a place called Kent because of the hops and also learn of your links to Kent through your ancestors. I don't know Kent all that well but I was stationed in Brompton Barracks in Chatham immediately after the war at The School of Military Engineering. I was in the Royal Engineers, which I suppose was unsurprising as I was in the middle of my architectural course, but was conscripted into the service of His Majesty for three years. Chatham is one of the Medway towns which are Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham, where your Great Great Grandmother was born. They are joined up to each other. I am talking about over 65 years ago so I expect some things have changed. I have been told that the old barracks I lived in have been demolished.

You might like to see a photo of some oast houses in Kent, at Sissinghurst that I took 8 years ago. An oast house is where the hops are dried.

And here is a link to my post the gardens at Sissinghurst, Kent which might interest you http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,978.0.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:19:51 PM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
Thanks for posting that interesting information Eric.
Ive had a look at a map and think I may have hitchhiked that way in my youth ::)
My friend and I hitchhiked to Dublin, took the ferry to Holyhead in Wales and hitchhiked to his relatives in Ealing, London.
We then continued to Dover (through Kent) and took ferry to Ostende in Belgium. Then hitchhiked to Brussels, then on to Amsterdam - and back of course. We stayed in Youth Hostels.
It was my first time in England, Belgium and Holland :)
I imagine hitchhiking is very much a thing of the past!

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 07:58:26 AM »
Good morning George,
That was quite an adventure if you had never been out of Ireland. I agree that hitch hiking seems a thing of the past. In the early sixties I had jobs that took me all over England to as far as Northumberland and Durham, Bristol and yes, often through London to Kent. (perhaps I gave you a lift George :o)). I drove an awful lot of miles in those days and being alone I often gave lifts, mainly for company. Everything seemed more innocent and trusting in those days. Perhaps people don't hitch nowadays because people aren't happy to stop any more. I met quite a few interesting people.
Mark in the seventies as a medical student at Westminster Hospital visited my parents in Co Durham. He had hardly started the journey hitch hiking home when he was picked up by a couple in a Jaguar who happened to be going to London. Not only did they take him all the way to London, they delivered him to the front door of his flat in Camden! Quite a lucky hitch  :)