Author Topic: Alternative location for Bank Genie data files  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Bill

Re: Alternative location for Bank Genie data files
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »
George

Thank you for the prompt reply I will have a go at what you suggest.

Regards
Bill.

Offline barryl

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 12:01:30 PM »
As a new customer coming into this several months later let me first add my support to the original poster who wanted to keep programs and data separate.

While I know that that is not how Micr*s*ft encourage people to design systems, or design their own (all that "my documents" stuff) as an old school systems designer I know that it is the only way to go. Otherwise should you need to backup (eg by system restore) and even reinstall the operating system ALL your data has been lost.

Consequently I think there should be the minimum of pointers in the data space generated by the program (IE just one item!) and everything else should be held where that points to (which could start in the same folder but needs to be configurable).

Secondly, while the changes george has made permit ONE alternative named file (which could be multiples of the same name on different flash cards) this is in my view fantastically over-restrictive. I currently manage about 10 completely separate financial systems and I would like them all the be kept in totally separate files with totally separate backups, all with different names.

This is partly for my sanity to help keep things separate and partly because if I need to share information with a third party I wish to transfer just the relevant data (and possibly have him use Bankgenie also).

Finally (and maybe this should have been a new topic) the backups need to have several generations for better safety (and maybe they should be taken automatically?).

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
I should have done this sooner, but I have today edited the initial posting in this topic to indicate that Bank Genie 3 has delivered the separation of Program files and data files as requested in this topic.
Ive posted a link to a document with more information about that change, and others in Bank Genie 3

I'm rather pleased that this happened sooner rather than later (enforced by Vista). It was "messy" to explain the solution described in postings I made in this thread.
Ive gone to great lengths in the Help supplied with BG3 to give the user total visibility and understanding of where Programs and data Files are on their computer.

Since it is out of date, I would like to terminate this thread.

If you have time Barry, would you mind posting the items above in new topics? It would be best to keep each point in separate topics to keep things as focused as possible.
I'm working on Bank Genie this week (mostly your Quicken import facility) so its a good time to get the specification for new change requests discussed.

I have to say I'm delighted to see Bank Genie folk on the forum!