Author Topic: Analysing transactions  (Read 3083 times)

Offline dajoco

Analysing transactions
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:50:31 PM »
The more I use Bank Genie, the more impressed I am by it.  The Display and Analyse Transactions module (BS408) gives so many options so that I am able to ask for just what I need.  When I took over some accounts for a charity (which had been kept in Quicken) there were some past transactions which I needed to investigate because I wasn't sure that they had been placed in the right categories.  The displayed report was quite useful but what was really helpful was the extra information which was given once I downloaded the data as an excel file.  For each item there was a field which gave the statement number in which the information was contained.  This made it very easy to go back and look at the transaction in context at the time when it had occurred - very useful.  What an excellent program this is.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Analysing transactions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »
That makes very pleasing reading at the end of the day David 8) many thanks for your kind comments.
We can thank Barry for driving me on to provide new reports reports and the bells and whistles output options - particularly the txt file output.
A mighty task at the time and so nice to see it is well appreciated and good to see Bank Genie is doing a good job for that interesting application :)

Offline barryl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:00:17 AM »
and good to see that what I needed has also been useful to other people. ;D

While I have used BG Pro for a long time initially in test mode and then for low volume low frequency of changes datasets it has taken me a long time to bite the bullet and move my main personal dataset (nearly 40,000 records!) from Quicken but having done so I am very pleased with the result.

Offline AnthonyM

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
I agree with the original comment. Bank Genie provides excellent analytical tools. Unlike some of the software around which limits reports to a very limited fixed set. As you say the more you dig into what is available the more you realize what a great piece of software has been produced. Again I think it's also worth saying that the responses to queries and to suggestions for new facilities is something I haven't experienced with any other software supplier.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:21:21 AM »
Thank you Anthony and Barry.

I developed the concept for the analytical Transaction Analyser program in my last day job.
It worked there by allowing users to drill down into a database with over 3 million records by choosing analytical parameters.
Amazingly, I never trained any users on how to use it and on a daily basis it would have been in use by more than 100 users.
Its still in use today!
I'm very pleased that idea works so well in Bank Genie!

In Bank Genie, there's a lot of additional functionality exposed by "right clicking" on transactions and other controls in the Transaction Analyser - another request by Barry which was easily implemented and then expanded.

Offline barryl

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
And thanks for doing all that and being open to suggestions through the development process and beyond