Author Topic: Calling all Bank Genie users. Should we rename BS201?  (Read 4469 times)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Calling all Bank Genie users. Should we rename BS201?
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »
The new edition of Bank Genie is in advanced stages of development and has been tested at each stage of development by our forum member Barry Landy (BarryL on the forum).

Barry is a fellow in Mathematics at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge University, England and still actively teaching mathematics. I'm honoured to have such a distinguished adviser in this new edition.

The new edition is bristling with many new features, the result of my development to the high specifications defined by Barry.
A brand new interface gives a completely new "look and feel" to the new edition.

In an attempt to adhere to convention, some program names have been renamed in line with Windows applications -
e.g.
Under the File tab of the new Bank Genie - Cambridge Edition we have:
New - a new program to create an empty database, for those who maintain multiple accounts in a number of databases.
Open = the SWITCH program BS026 renamed (Allows the user to Close currently open database and OPEN another. The term SWITCH has been dropped.

Barry would like a different name for one of the most frequently used programs in Bank Genie .

Input Transactions - BS201 (the name in your edition of Bank Genie) is used for adding, editing and deleting transactions, and categorising the transactions.
Its also used for viewing the current status of your Bank accounts, running totals, projected balances etc.

Barry would like a name which would reflect more the multiple ways that program can use the transaction list.

Without influencing you in any way, we would like Bank Genie users to reply to these questions:
1) Should we rename BS026 from its current description Input Transactions?
2) If yes, what name do you suggest?

Your input would be very much appreciated.

Note: Read about Bank Genie here:
http://www.ideasgenie.co.uk/bankgenie/
Please note the the new edition will be offered as a new product.
Marketing of Bank Genie - Software for the Penny Wise will continue.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:44:28 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Mavis

Re: Calling all Bank Genie users. Should we rename BS201?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
Interested to see you are updating this!  I have been happily using it, as
you know, for a year or so now since I unfortunately had to bite the bullet
and use Vista on my laptop.  I love the programme.  With regard to renaming
the "input transactions" - it really all depends on what else this element
is going to do?  Currently it is aptly named - if it is going to do more,
would like to know what before suggesting a name change!
Kind regards
Mavis

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »
Its also very nice to read your comments, Mavis. That is very encouraging indeed.
Makes the effort worthwhile!

You have made me aware that my posting is misleading and since others may make the same interpretation I'd better explain!

Functionally, there is no change, in that its purpose, display information and navigation remains pretty much as before.

The equivalent program in the new Bank Genie - Cambridge Edition has a new program number (BS421) to avoid any confusion on the Program Updates web page.

RE:
Currently it is aptly named
Thank you for that Mavis. It was the best I could come up with, and I'm relieved you find it appropriate.

Recapping, its really a question to Bank Genie users asking if the program name was suitable in the first instance and if describes functionality within that program.
Comments from other Bank Genie users will be greatly appreciated.

Offline barryl

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:47:21 PM »
Well, I do not think it is aptly named since the primary purpose is to look at the transactions in statement order (that's what is shown when you enter BS201) and creating new transactions (input transaction) is an option among many including the ability to delete transactions.

I was hoping we could come up with a more inclusive term, maybe something like

Transaction activities

?

Offline Mavis

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:53:33 PM »
 :-\ As a 'seasoned' user I am quite happy with the current name as I have grown up with it; however, I do appreciate that new buyers/users might find it more useful to have barryl's proposed name - it does perhaps give a more apt description - but it is, of course, a matter of choice.  As I had to change from Microsoft Money to Bank Genie, there were quite a few changes that I had to adapt to so I do not find the current namings an issue.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:46:35 PM »
This could be interesting!

Ive been using the program for many years before it became Bank Genie and offered as a product, so I guess I'm biased because of its origin.
It started off as what in "old fashioned Business Software speak" would be described as a Data Input program.
Having added transactions, the method of displaying the transactions was simply an application of the techniques I used in other data entry software, so that to me was secondary.
That presentation became more sophisticated as the program developed, but essentially (to me) the overall purpose of that module (BS201) was always to "work with" transactions.

In the Gardening Software programs (e.g. Ideas Genie) you'll find buttons with the simple caption ww.
ww= Work with
Unfortunately, that term is not in any way intuitive, so needed explaining in the Help section.

Work with Transactions would be apt in my opinion, but I still prefer Input Transactions.
Those three words would be OK for a menu option, but I decided to go for a name which would give a new user a head start.
What is a new user going to look for when they start with an empty database?
Lets see - I want to Input Transactions
Having started that program, they will (in adding transactions) discover the other features as Barry has mentioned viz. look at the transactions in statement order,  delete transactions etc - things you need when you have a number of transactions added and (hopefully) feeling more comfortable with the system.

As for Product Support (digressing a little) I cease to be amazed at the many and various descriptions Ive seen for the programs, albeit mostly in the Gardening Software programs. Names are ignored and new descriptions invented.
I'm sometimes criticised for assigning "cryptic" numbers to programs.
Absolutely no time wasted in correpondence asking for clarification.
When you mention BS201, or screen BS201S03, I'm immediately with you ;) - theres absolutely no confusion, and they are a lot easier to write :)

Remember when making suggestions that Program names on Menus need to be brief - 3 words maximum if possible.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:52:02 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »
How about plain "TRANSACTIONS", that is brief enough?

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »
Thanks for your suggestion, Eric. That would be absolutely fine once you know your way around the system.

Offline wonhyo23

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »
Calling the prog 'Input transaction' is simple description of the activity I want to start - anything else could be done once on that prog page via tabs or dropdowns etc.

On another note, is it possible to select more than one transaction to move it to the next statement page (before clicking the 'Reconcile' button)? At the moment I select each transaction and sometimes thatere are quite a few to move! Money going out - wish it was the other way round!!

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 09:04:42 PM »
      Thanks for your comments, Dominic. Nice to know its descriptive.

RE:
is it possible to select more than one transaction to move it to the next statement page
Yes, it is.
You can multi-select in that list of transactions.
There are two methods.
a) To Multi-select a number of sequential lines (i.e. appearing one after the other in the list)

• Hold the Shift button down and Click the first transaction required
  • Hold the Shift button again (or continue to hold it down) and Click the last transaction required
  • All the transactions between the First and Last transactions clicked (inclusive) will be selected (blue)
  • You can now release the Shift button
  • Then click the Exclude (or Include) button as required

a) To Multi-select a number of items which are NOT listed sequentially
  • Hold the Ctrl button down and Click the first transaction required
  • Hold the Ctrl button again (or continue to hold) and Click the next transaction required, anywhere in the list
  • As you click, each line becomes highlighted and the previously clicked lines remains highlighted (blue)
  • Continue Ctrl-Clicking as many as you wish
  • Then click the Exclude (or Include) button as required

Hows that?
[/list][/list]
I cant get rid of those last two List markups! I delete and they re-appear :-\
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:15:23 PM by ideasguy »

Offline annbrilee

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »
George et al,

Personally I don't care what it is called.

Perhaps you could incorporate a function to allow the personalisation of the screen names then everyone can call each screen what they like. I assume the clever stuff behind the scenes uses the program numbers like BS201 so operation would not be affected?

Thanks for all the support given when resolving the PC crash of late which meant I had to reload BG3 and import the back up files. Also when you have a minute - can you add a button to the Selection screen to access the Back up program more quickly? Or automatically back up on exit (to Back Up Folder 1)?

Cheers
Brian

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
Thanks for your input Brian (ooops - no pun intended ;D)

RE:
Perhaps you could incorporate a function to allow the personalisation of the screen names then everyone can call each screen what they like
Have you been reading my mind?
Having thought about it, Ive added a feature in the new Bank Genie - Cambridge Edition which alllows the user to rename the programs in the tree view.
The Tree View is the new alternative to the Program Selection Screen in BG.
Heres a screenshot:

The photo was contributed by our good friend Eric Hardy (one of our regular forum members).
The tree view is down the left hand side of the initial screen.
Click on a + sign to expand, then click an option to run a program.
Clicking on Choose (the button beside Favourites) takes you to screen MainFrm2
In that screen the user can doubleclick on each line to select/deselect programs, thus personalising the list of programs displayed in the Tree View.
Right Clicking on a line in MainFrm2 opens a Menu shortcut.
On it you can choose a new option: Rename
That takes you to screen MainFrm3. The screen now looks like this:

and, you can call it what you like!!

RE:
I assume the clever stuff behind the scenes uses the program numbers like BS201 so operation would not be affected?
Absolutely correct Brian! The user can change the Program Description, but the program name (e.g. BS421) remains unchanged.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:13:35 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »
That is great, with each user having the means to rename "Input Transactions" and other functions to suit themselves there really isn't a need need to change names in the Cambridge version.

Thanks for using my pic  :)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 04:44:35 PM »
Thank YOU Eric. I'm very much in debt for that very kind contribution to the project.

It looks real good for a whole lot of reasons. Its a lovely photo!
The dark area at the bottom is great for showing up the copyright line.

As for renaming - yes, its nice to keep everyone happy, and that seemed to be the only way ::)