Garden Buildings, Garden Tools and Equipment > greenhouses

Garden Tools Recommended by our members

<< < (3/3)

Lyn and Malcolm:
We get lots of comments re the lawns, including "are we allowed to walk on it".

Lyn bought the cheapest turf she could buy when she moved here 20+ years ago. (before my time)

So I am probably going to shock you when I say that the first feed we give, is Blood Fish and Bone.

It is getting more difficult to buy a lawn fertilizer that doesn't have iron in it to kill moss, accidental overdosing can kill the grass, so we stick to the BFB. We have very little moss or weeds anyway because the grass is so thick. And the BFB is cheaper.

We then feed with Miracle grow lawn food applied with an end hose feeder, about every 3 weeks.

After each open day the lawns look rather flat with approx 200 pairs of feet walking around the garden several times. So as soon as we can after, the lawns get a drink, which soon perks them up again ready for cutting.

The lawns are watered with a hand held hose before they have a chance to dry out in hot weather, we have quite sandy soil, we are not on a water meter!

So plenty of cutting,water and feed is the answer for us. A smart lawn sets off the rest of the garden.

The mower is nothing special, just a rotary petrol mower.

Malcolm

roiphil:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on February 04, 2009, 02:15:46 PM ---RE: (Tom)

--- Quote ---I live in fear of it breaking down
--- End quote ---
I bet you do, Tom  :) Thats a lot of grass cutting!
Phils not far behind with having to tend to 2 properties! Good to see youve managed to find a way of delegating that chore Phil.

--- End quote ---
Delegating i dont knw about that as he always has his hand out afterwards, top up on mobile phone, money for pictures, still it keeps him active and gives him an interest, (he still cant do doughnuts on though  ;D )

Eric Hardy:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on February 04, 2009, 09:17:12 AM ---Ive been resisting the pressure for years to buy a ride-on. My argument is that I have too many intricate areas, that I'd need to use a smaller mower after doing the main areas with a a ride on.
--- End quote ---

My sentiments exactly, George. Luckily my engine still works. I left our Honda rotor mower for service two weeks ago (that has a roller too)  When I went to collect it he had it ready as promised. His name is Steve, aged in his 50's I should think, and has a barn sort of place where he works entirely on his own. I have never seen a tidier workshop. He takes such a pride in his work. It is swept clean, all his tools hang neatly on the wall and the lawnmowers (there must have been about thirty of them) were all parked in neat rows. Although our lawnmower is old he had made it spotlessly clean, the blade all sharpened up and everything was in good working order for the spring. He told me that I had an excellent machine and that it is one of the earlier Hondas actually made in Japan. He told me that they are not made in Japan now and although good, are not as good as mine. I told him that it is up to him to make it last as long as I do.

Now with my blinking shoulder I can't use it !!!!  >:(

Eric H

ideasguy:
Sounds like youve got a real good lawnmower there Eric!
Does it have a power drive?
Hows the shoulder coming on? Any improvement?

RE: (Malcolm)

--- Quote ---the first feed we give, is Blood Fish and Bone.
We then feed with Miracle grow lawn food applied with an end hose feeder, about every 3 weeks.
The lawns are watered with a hand held hose before they have a chance to dry out in hot weather
--- End quote ---
I missed that reply Malcolm. I'd never have thought of using BFandB.
This season, I'll give your tips a go in the little garden outside our Dining room window. It would cost a fortune to do all the grass.

and again from Malcolm:

--- Quote ---A smart lawn sets off the rest of the garden
--- End quote ---
I couldnt agree more. The vista looks best with a lush green presentation.
I find a neat edging is essential. Nicely mown and neat edging and I get away with a lot of evils in the borders!

Eric Hardy:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on March 24, 2009, 07:28:30 PM ---Sounds like youve got a real good lawnmower there Eric!
Does it have a power drive?
--- End quote ---
Yes it does have a power drive, George, and a roller to give the stripes you like

--- Quote ---Hows the shoulder coming on? Any improvement?
--- End quote ---
It is not too painful now but a bit awkward to sleep on. I still can't raise my upper arm . I am going to ring the doc tomorrow.
Thanks for asking, George.

Eric H

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version