Our Gardens > creating an edge of woodgarden area

last weeks in the wood edge

(1/3) > >>

greenfinger:
Last week I choose in the local nursery a shrub known as one of the most fragrant winter flowerers: wintersweet. In the Latin indexes it is to be found under Chimonanthus (Calycanthus) praecox. Calycanthus means with chaliced flowers. They reach the same height  as breadth which is 3 meters. I?m told they would scent the garden within a distance of 25 meters. I?ll let you know within a few years if this is an exaggeration or not.
A little away from the shades of the other trees and shrubs (as it likes more sun) I planted an Ilex x meserveae ?Blue Angel?, a cross-breeding beween the wellknown Ilex aquifolium and Ilex rugosa. It is appreciated for its bluegreen foliage, purple branches, shining leaves and  its winter hardiness. It grows in a dense, pyramidal way. Mine is 40 cm high, but it has  the intention to get the same dimensions as the Chimonanthus described above. We?ll speak each other within 10 years about the future behaviour of this plant.
And then back to the higher canopy layer: now I choose a guest from the Far East, I mean Pyrus calleryana ?Chanticleer? (attach. nr. 1058). This cultivar suits tinier places,  having a rather narrow crown, growing up more like a pillar and reaching a height of 10 meters. The white flowers in spring develop to autumnal little ornamental fruits.
To offer birds some nestling opportunities 2 Hedera?s: Hedera helix ?Gold Heart?(attach. nr. 1096) and Hedera alger.(=canariensis) ?Gloire de Marengo? (attach. nr. 1065) at the foot of a dead willow. I know there is controverse about keeping dead trees in the garden as they could be a source for infections (the honey fungus f.i.). It would be interesting to read the opinion of other members about this subject.

greenfinger:
The path of the gardener can be covered with doubts. After a dive in my library I?m not so sure anymore about the winter hardiness of  Hedera algeriensis ?Gloire de Marengo?. If the expert authors are to believed this is a room plant and no match for my adventures in the wood. Anybody any idea?
Subsequently I procured a few ferns. Admit: a woodgarden without ferns is like ..., how would I put it? A place was found for Asplenium (Phyllitis) scolopendium (50 cm.) see attachm. 1076, Polystichum setiferum (80 cm.) see attachm. 1089 and Polypodium vulgare (30 cm.) see attachm. 1101. They are reliable evergreens.

ideasguy:

--- Quote from: greenfinger on December 25, 2006, 05:26:42 PM ---I know there is controverse about keeping dead trees in the garden as they could be a source for infections (the honey fungus f.i.). It would be interesting to read the opinion of other members about this subject.

--- End quote ---

I really also like to hear users experiences on this. I found this article today on the RHS site:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/research/horticultural_themes/honeyfungus.asp

I have little toadstools (just like those shown in the RHS web page - above) appearing in my front lawn occasionally.

greenfinger:
Thanks for the reference, but the possible problem seems to have solved itself. The dead willow has been blown out during the storm of yesterday. Where is my saw?

Kew:
Just hope you don't bump into this on a dark night!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version