The Master Database > General discussion

Which version is the latest?

(1/5) > >>

Palustris:
The Database I have on my machine has 3648 plants in it. The DB in DVD has 4077 plants in it. Ok. BUT both of them list plants which say Has photo, but not picture appears when you click on it. Somewhere along the line I seem to have lost my own Database from the last 12 months or from when we changed the  computer.
No certain what to do.

ideasguy:
The latest version of the Master Database has more than 36,000 plants and over 2000 photos.
I'm very surprised that yours is so out of date, particularly if its on DVD.

In the database explorer program, the program shows the number of plants beginning with A, B, C, D etc (depending on which letter you click) but also shows the number of plants in the database.
Click the All button (to left of the A to Z buttons)
The full count of plants in the database will appear, so there is no ambiguity.
What numbers are shown?

Has Photos will also show as a suffix when the plant has no disc photos, but has web photos.
To see the web photos, click the Show Photos button for a full list of both Web and Disc photos fro the selected plant.

Palustris:
On the Database in my machine there are 32834 plants
On the DVD there are 36088
When I click on a plant with photo which does not appear, it seems to be unable to find the folder on my computer where the picture is stored. I will have to check if for some reason the name of the folder has been changed, but I do not remember ever doing so and the folder still exists.

Palustris:
Right I have now exchanged the igdata set on the DVD for the original one in IGMASTER and that gives me a Database number of 36088 plants. I have changed the Path for the missing pictures and they seem to be appearing as they should now.
If I have time I will now start going through my folders of pictures and add the plants and pictures to my DB.
I think what has happened is that when our previous machine went I was not able to transfer the DB from it to this machine and the Backup I have was corrupted somehow. (The DVD got scratched!)

ideasguy:
A few years ago, I added the list of plants in your garden to the Master Database, based on the names of plants linked to Photos on the CD's you sent me.
I then created a WPG website from the plants list, and the photos.
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/palustris/

As I recall, I then sent you a copy of the Master Database, and you installed the Master Database on your computer and used that as your live data.
At that point in time, it looks like it had less than 32834 plants. I say less than, because you probably added to that, hence the figure you have quoted.
To get the photos to work, there are three options:
a) Copy the photos from the DVD onto your computer, into EXACTLY the same folder structure as on the DVD.
b) Keep the DVD inserted. Ideas Genie "hunts" for missing photos. If not found on drive c:, it will search other external discs, including CD's and DVD which happen to be inserted.
If will only find the missing photo if the photos are in the folder structure it is looking for.
You can check that by clicking the Plant Photos button as found in most programs. The Plant Photos button takes you to the list of all photos for a selected plant, and you can edit the link and determine the path to the photos.
As explained above,you can ignore the drive letter.
c) Photos on the Master Database are "embedded" in the database.
That is done for security. A copy (DVD) goes to each new Flower Genie, Ideas Genie, Ideas Genie Pro and Bonsai Genie customer.
They are the photos kindly supplied by users of this forum, so I try to keep them secure.
If a user explores the Master Database DVD, no photos can be found in any folders.
The program I use for embedding is actually included in Ideas Genie Pro.
See Tools>Embed Photos-GA053
You can explore the plants list and the photos on the Master Database by using the program:
Tools>Switch Databases-GA026.
Insert the DVD and select from the pop-up list in that program.

Explore your databases armed with that information and see if that helps Eric.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version