Plants > Pests and Diseases

What is eating our aruncus leaves?

<< < (2/3) > >>

NightHawk:

--- Quote from: Eric Hardy on June 05, 2009, 02:20:10 PM ---Are these saw fly larvae and if so have you any idea of what to do about them?
Eric H

--- End quote ---
I think you're correct there Eric.

The skeletal pattern that's being left on your leaves with just the veins remaining is a characteristic feeding pattern of the sawflies larvae.

I've found a link on the BBC Gardening Website which gives more info on them.  The solution to get rid of them, as you will see, is chemical.

I hope this helps.

Laurie.

Eric Hardy:
Thank you Laurie. I have looked at the website. I am not keen on using chemicals but that may be the only way in the long run. For the moment  I have removed as many of the affected leaves that I can see and I will keep an eye on it. The plant is large with lots of foliage and you hardly notice that I have removed any. Luckily most of the affected leaves were lower down.

Eric H

NightHawk:
We're not keen on using chemicals either Eric.

You've always got the option of doing the job manually though.  Regular visual inspections and rub any larvae off by hand.

Of course, if you have many large shrubs that are being affected then that would be a mammoth task.

It comes down to personal choice on how you want to tackle this problem.

Good luck anyway.  :)

Laurie.

Eric Hardy:
I am pleased to report that the aruncus seems to have recovered from its sawfly lava infestation. I caught it just in time.

Eric H

ideasguy:
What a magnificent combination.
I REALLY like that Eric.

In my garden, Aruncus is as tough as old boots, but I have trouble with the slugs at my delphiniums. They tend to be short lived.
Do you have much trouble growing them? From the looks of those photos it seems not  :)

Is that Hydrangea petiolaris in the background?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version