Author Topic: Internet Explorer unsupported  (Read 7401 times)

Offline bossgard

Internet Explorer unsupported
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

Would the computer techies please advise me?

I’m getting online notices that Internet Explorer will soon be unsupported. Also, that I should install Google Chrome for a browser.

George suggested some time ago when my earlier email service was discontinued, that I should use Gmail, and I do like it. It seems to be doing the job!

At the present time Google Chrome is offering a free trial, should I do that first, or just go ahead and install Google Chrome outright? Any other good choices?

Many thanks - Toby

Offline Palustris

Re: Internet Explorer unsupported
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »
We much prefer Firefox to Chrome, but neither take up much room and so we have both avaliable if needed. Both are streets ahead of IE.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »
I'm getting online notices that Internet Explorer will soon be unsupported.
Says who Toby? I don't think so!!

Also, that I should install Google Chrome for a browser.
A matter of choice. Personally, I don't trust any of them. They all need close attention to the addons, plugins, gooblygoops etc when you do the installation, otherwise you will have a lot of baggage you don't need or want, but they do ;D

If you use links to websites in your data fields in Ideas Genie then I'd recommend sticking with Internet Explorer.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »

Thanks, George!

I will stick with Internet Explorer and the 'Chief' software developer.
He knows his program the best.

Many thanks Erik, for your comments.

-Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
I did a search on your alert message Toby, and found this article.
http://onlineconnectionsnews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/alert-you-are-using-version-of-internet.html

First questions to you:
What version of Windows are you using?
What version of Internet Explorer are you using?
To find the answer to that, start Internet Explorer, click the Help tab and then click About Internet Explorer

Offline bossgard

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
George-

Windows XP Sp 2
IE 8

Is this what you needed?

-Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »
Yes Toby.
I would sit tight.

Its Google who want you to change - to THEIR browser, of course.

From the above article:
The message displayed is because Google will cease to support Internet Explorer 8 on November 15th.

According to the Google site, Google Calendar will only display in read-only mode, Gmail users will be redirected to the basic HTML interface and in Docs, drawings and presentations won't display properly. These are just a few examples listed as functions that won't work.
I suspect you are getting that original alert message (which you posted to start this topic) when you use gmail.

Go to the Google website.
You'll find tabs: Calendar and Documents.
Click the tabs and read what they do.
Have you used them before? Did you even know they existed?
If not, you aren't going to miss them after November 15th ::)

I'm the same configuration as you (XP, IE8), but I'm moving to a new computer soon.
I'll keep this one until after November 15th just to see "what breaks"  ;D ;D

I use Firefox, but only because we had that odd problem when posting long messages on the forum. Haven't checked it in a while to see if that problem still exists - will do soon.
I also use IE - I have more trust in it.

I'd like to hear the comments from other members on this. We know now that Eric (palustris) favours Google Chrome.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:16:57 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:34:55 PM »

George, I’m sitting tight. I won’t move on anything until you can come up with answer for me and perhaps others.

The gentleman that wrote the Online Connections mentioned two things that I would like to hear from you if I may impose. He states “When I offer support . . .switch the user back to IE 8 and clean up the computer". I think Laurie has posted on keeping your computer clean. I think I am doing that, but is there perhaps a suggested list of what a computer user should be doing. I am running AGV security (it supposedly runs all the time), my task bar is indicating it is always being updated by itself; I am manually updating it once a week, and then I manually run a full scan. I have removed programs that I am no longer using via Control Panel. I try to keep my emails cleaned up and deleted, some are moved to Folders. Any suggestions from you or other Forum Members on keeping my computer clean? I also am running PC CLEANER (recommended by my DSL) at start up, which cleans my Registry, and other files.

Also, has the gentleman of Online Connections actually used Windows 8? It was panned (not endorsed) very badly several weeks ago in a newspaper column by Patrick MacDonald (I think that is his name) a techie person that answers computer related questions sent in by readers. I remember several words in his review, ‘what were the people over at Microsoft thinking when they used a ‘touch screen’ with a PC?’ (Microsoft is Seattle based with world corporate offices here.) MacDonald will publish another of his columns tomorrow (Saturday), will get his name and his address for you. The sales are supposed to be quite slow here for Windows 8 in the States and this area. Consumers are supposedly waiting until the Windows 8 OS proves itself.

Do you have plans on doing anything with Windows 8 in your software future? Or am I too premature to ask that question?

As far as the Calendar and Documents, I have never used them. Didn't know that I needed them.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks, -- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »
Toby, with the practices and methods you have described, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I'd say your computer is as clean as a whistle!

Windows 8
From what I read, there were several millions of copies sold on Day 1! That may be slow for Microsoft, but I know of at least one business that would like a slice of that action ;D
Immediately following the release, I had enquiries and orders from people in the UK who had bought and switched to W8. I was quite astounded at their bravado 8)
All Bank Genie folk, and the good news is, Bank Genie worked perfectly on that new OS (I had a thumbs up beta test report from Mike in New Zealand prior to release).
Believe me, that is a HUGE relief 8)
Ideas Genie, Flower Genie and Bonsai Genie will also work as they are the created and distributed with the same development tools.
So, as far as plans go, since its all working, no further action is required -  for once I don't have to do anything :)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:54:49 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 11:12:54 PM »
George is correct in saying that it is Google who are dropping support of IE, based on the fact that they want users to switch to their own browser instead - Google Chrome.  It's free anyway, so it costs you nothing to try it.

IE will still remain, as it is at the core of Microsoft's Windows Operating System, so as long as you use Windows you'll have IE to browse the web with.

I have found IE to be very flaky.  It crashes on a regular basis becoming annoyingly unresponsive and needing to be closed down and reopened to continue browsing with it.  This was even after clearing the cache and having a 'clean' browsing state.
This also happens on Kathy's PC, so it wasn't just my configuration of software that was causing the problems.
If  you aren't experiencing problems with IE then stick with it if you prefer - it's your choice.

We have both now switched to using Firefox.  A lot more stable and it's also FREE.  The thing I like about Firefox is the Tabbed Browsing feature.  You can have several different web sites open at the same time, but instead of them being in separate browser windows you have ONE browser window open and all the webs site pages are displayed in tabs.

Tabbed browsing is a feature appearing on many other companies browsers as well - e.g. Safari and Opera, both of which are FREE.
Add-ons or browser extensions are like any other computer software - they can be a good thing or a bad thing.  You need to decide what is useful and what will enhance your own particular browsing experience.  They can easily be disabled, enabled or removed at any time, so you've got full control over them.

Everyone has their own opinions and preferences when it comes to browsers, so don't be overly concerned Toby.  If you're using IE, and you're happy with what it does for you, then carry on regardless.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:26:07 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 11:56:59 PM »
Gosh  :o. I dont have such serious problems with Internet Explorer Laurie. At least if I ever did, I certainly don't recall such an event.

Internet Explorer 8 does have tabs, the user has the option to turn them on or off.
I'm not sure what the default setting is (On or Off)
(isn't it funny how the good features in one browser are cloned in another? ;D)

Here's a little exercise for Toby:-
On the menu bar, click Tools, then Internet Options.
On the pageframe dialog box, the default tab is General.
Near the bottom of that page you have Tabs.
Beside that, click on the Settings button.
The first check box says: Enable tabbed browsing
I have mine checked.
Like you Laurie, I like that feature in Firefox, and I keep things standard by using it in IE as well.

Surprise, surprise - Firefox has the same options to allow tabs to be controlled and (ahum) start by clicking Tools. Nice to see there is SOME standardisation on the web ;D

As I understand it, the article we looked at says some features in IE will not be supported. I'd be very surprised if it wont do the essential things when we access the Google site.
We shall see soon :D

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:08:39 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:18 AM »
Gosh  :o. I dont have such serious problems with Internet Explorer Laurie. At least if I ever did, I certainly don't recall such an event.
That's why it's flaky!
Internet Explorer 8 does have tabs, the user has the option to turn them on or off.
I was using IE9, and I've just checked George and you're correct - it does have tabbed browsing.  Don't know what I was thinking of  ::)  Must have always been switched off by default as I wasn't aware of it.  (Maybe it's time to quit - duff info and all that).
I've edited my post to avert reader confusion.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »
I wasn't trying to be smart Laurie - I'm not  ;D
I had tabs set on in IE and decided to post that so Toby (and perhaps others) could have a play with the settings and see the effects.
I don't know who "invented" them, but I saw tabs first in Firefox.
I didn't like them originally, but now they are indispensable!
That I believe sums up how we have inbuilt resistance to change, even if its for the better :D

So - matter of interest, what was your initial reaction to them?

NightHawk

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
My initial reaction to tabbed browsing - a welcome and productive addition, and a feature I use extensively.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:38:38 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
Eric (palustris) favours Google Chrome.
. Sorry, but no. We use Firefox. I find Chrome a bit garish.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Oooops :-[
Sorry about that misquote Eric.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 10:47:33 PM »

George, I am sorry, it doesn’t seem that I can conclude your exercise on enabling tabs on IE.

I am assuming that this is why - I run a program called ROBOFORM which manages my passwords, with its last download, I had the option to add a new feature and make Roboform my start page. So at the present time, Roboform opens whether I am using IE or Google Chrome.

What it does is give me the opportunity to quickly access several sites from this start page, including my financials, my email, the Forum, and others (anything needing a password). I like it as a program, it’s very convenient to use, and keeping my passwords safer. I really don’t think I will miss the Calendar and the Documents.

Many thanks people for carrying out this discussion, as long as I can continue posting on the Forum, use IdeasGenie Pro5 (and the new 6 that’s coming up), send and answer a few emails and everything else AS I have been doing, I will be HAPPY.. Again, thanks!

- Toby

Offline JohnB

• Main Signature
    • John & Kath B's Photo Album
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
Toby,
I've been away on a business trip and not watching this forum closely. However, I took a skim through this thread and saw on your last post that you said you think that you can't enable tabs on IE because you are using Roboform.

I've been an avid user of Roboform for quite a while now and have it synchronizing across my laptop, smartphone and desktop. I use both IE and Chrome on my laptop and desktop and have tabbed browsing working on both just fine.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »

John,

Thank you for setting the record straight on using Tabs on Google Chrome and IE. The concept is all so new to me, and I would not people to misunderstand about Roboform.

I might have more on this Topic later, maybe you can help me at that time, also.

My retired life has taken me far away from the busy life that you and others lead today. But I am perfectly happy with what I have.

-Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 12:51:28 AM »
Heres three screenshots which show you the steps to set Tabs on Toby.
Do they Help?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »

George –

I was able to get through the steps the first time with your text instructions. Evidently it is/was the default settings on my computer as you show in the screenshots, because it was already set as you have it pictured.

It is basically what came after that that is confusing to me.

If I go to Google Chrome website and wish to check on my emails, I first have to click account/products and then it opens to the listing of showing ‘Calendar, Docs, Gmail, Talk, Toolbar sync, and YouTube’. I click on Gmail, and I’m there.

In clicking on Docs it tells me that Google Drive is now the home of Google Docs, and invites me to subscribe to Google Drive, but at this point I declined their offer, and did nothing.

But still confused by these ‘tabs, and tab browsing’ that Laurie mentions. I did get some online help from IE and printed out TABBED BROWSING:  FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.’ Are they the same TABS that you were discussing that Google might drop?

But still, tabbed browsing is way above my head and I can’t picture it right now, later it might make more sense. Since Laurie seems to like it and uses it, maybe some screenshots illustrating might help. It’s up to you gentlemen? Don’t rush for me; I’ve got my plate full right now!

Thanks, loads!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
Have a look at the first of my three screenshots above Toby.
The balloon help at the top says:
This screenshot shows two tabs...
i.e. 2 websites showing...
Look at where the 2 arrows point to.
Those are tabs.
One tab says The Ideas Genie Community...
The second tab says Bank Genie Pro - Softwar...
I have opened two different websites in this browser session as a demo of Tabs in action.
If I click on Tab 1, I reopen the web site for The Ideas Genie Community Forum
If I click on Tab 2, I reopen the web site for Bank Genie Pro - Software for Bank Account Management

I wouldn't worry about it Toby. Just keep surfing in the way you are used to.

That is explained for Internet Explorer browser (the subject of this topic).
Google Chrome is a different browser. Firefox is a different Browser.
Google Drive is Googles equivalent to Dropbox (which we have discussed in other topics).
I would recommend that you continue to decline the offer to subscribe to Google drive.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:32:30 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

That screenshot is worth a thousand words.
Will continue forward, thanks for the discussion.