Author Topic: Plant ID Part 2  (Read 6964 times)

Offline Palustris

Plant ID Part 2
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »

No.0. April Succulent leaves clasping red stem. Serrated leaves.

N0 1 June  Camassia, Anthericum or Paradisea

No 2 June Phlox bifida alba(?)

N0 3 June Silene schafta(?)

N0 4 Sept. Potentilla

N0 5 June Codonopsis grey-wilsoni

N0 6 June Paeonia emodii (?)

No 7 May Potentilla alba

No 8 May badly photographed Incarvillea(?)

No 9 May Saxifraga

No 10 May Geranium

Edited to add names and info given.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:57:02 PM by Palustris »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Plant ID Part 2
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »
Its amazing how much you need to refer to good photos in this ID business.
I hope we can get these plants identified and into the Master Database,

No 3 In the genus Silene ??

No 4. I thought Geum chiloense 'Lady Stratheden'  at first with those leaves
http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/ros/geuchls/     
https://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/d%20-%20g/geum_chiloense_ls.htm   
but its double
Had a quick look at Potentillas (Cinquefoil) as it has similar(ish) leaves, but no match in a quick hunt

No 6 a Paeonia?

No 10 a Geranium, but which one?

Over to the other members

Offline DEBORAH

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »
# 1
# 2  YUCCA  yup
# 3  LUNARIA  maybe?
# 4
# 5
# 6  RANUNCULUS pretty sure
# 7
# 8  TRADESCANTIA yup
# 9  ALLIUM also pretty certain
#10  looks like CRANESBILL

Have been out stacking wood and cam in to eat and started looking at these- afraid I must get back and finish that pile because it's gonna snow (YIKES) tomorrow.  Will be thinking about these and will get back on later...#1 and #4 are right on the tip of my tongue too.

Cheers
-Deborah

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:06:43 AM »
Thanks for joining in Deborah
Its great to see you here a dnits been a long time since we have been in contact. I'll send you an email later.

Back to Erics photos.
No 5
Codonopsis?
http://www.kneebone.freeserve.co.uk/himalsnow.htm
Not exacty the one, but they have 5 petals like yours.

By the way, thats a fantastic website
Heres the Home page:
http://www.kneebone.freeserve.co.uk/

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
Thanks Deborah. Nice try.However, no 2 is either Anthericum, Paradisia or Camassia. We have not got Yucca in the garden. No. 3 is probably a Silene. No6 is a Paeony and No 8 could be a badly photographed Incarvillea, while No. 9 is possibly a Saxifrage ( from the leaves) No 10 is defo a Cranesbilll, but Geranium what?
George. Codonopsis grey-wilsoni is a distinct posibility. I did try to grow it once.

Have to say I am not having much success at getting names for these plants and there are a lot more to follow. Perhaps I should stop taking the 'easy' route and start going through me books and the Internet. Was just being lazy and hopeful.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
RE:
Perhaps I should stop taking the 'easy' route and
Absolutely not!
Please keep them coming Eric. Its genetrated a lot of interest. Thanks to your ID topics, Weve had members looking in who havent been on the forum in ages.

In No 8, do the green leaves in centre front belong to that plant? They are fairly distinctive. Look a little like the leaves of Begonia semperflorens, but not with those flowers! Is it a ground hugger, do you think?

No 7 looks like one of those Erodiums you're so fond of, do you think? Somethimes you get a flower popping out of the foliage of another neighbouring plant, which confuse things a little. Do you think those are its own leaves?
The plant on its right looks like Campanula garganica 'Dickson's Gold'  - a lovely plant for foliage and flower.

The Geranium in 10 is a double, so should be easier to get an ID. Hang on in there!

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 12:08:57 PM »
Eric, I completely agree with George - keep posting your unknown plants.  :)

I haven't as yet been able to ID any of them, hence not chipping in with any suggestions, but it is fun watching our other members getting involved, and the added bonus of our 'old-time' members joining in, who for one reason or another haven't been as active as we would like.

This is what keeps the Forum interesting.  If we all solely did our own plant research, without asking for help, then the Forum would not function as well.  ;D

Keep up the good work Eric.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:41:40 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
A suggestion, Eric
Since the thread can extend with member contributions, how about if you edit the first posting (the one with the photos) with the names of the plants as all or part of the plant names are identified to your satisfaction?
That way, members wont go guessing the names of plants which you have already found a name for, and we will have a quick reference to how its progressing.

Tom

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 12:33:31 PM »
Eric, this is an excellent challenge you have set us. I suspect number 6 is Paeonia emodi, I grow an identical single white paeony that I bought  from Beth Chatto under the above name. I fear this challenge will become an obsession for us all.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
As you can see I have altered the postings to show the answers I have been given or have found myself. Glad you are enjoying the challenege folks.
Wish we had Broadband at present, it would take searching the Internet a lot quicker and easier.

Tom

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »
I was wondering if No8 could be Roscoea alpina?.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 01:32:04 PM »
Not one of the Roscoeas we have grown, would be nice to have though!

Tom

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 02:34:40 PM »
If you think it is an Incarvillea, the closest species in colour would be delavayii.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »
Certainly we have had I. delavayi. The only reason I say that though is where the picture seems to have been taken. I have a vague recollection of there being one there.
Terrible really not to have labelled the pics whn I took them ,but there it is. Even better if we had made planting plans, but so many plants have passed on even they would be well out of date too. The ones unlabelled are only a small part of the number of plant pics I have though. Majorrity are labelled.
Went to Powys yesterday. they have cleared their perennial beds and I noticed that the lovely labels have gone as well. They MUST have plans of the borders.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
So definitely not that thern. Potentilla I think it might be though. I have the advantage of being able to see the plant in close up, but there is no way I can post a picture that size. Ah well 246 to go then!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:44:05 PM by Palustris »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
That plant is still growing in your garden Eric? or should I interpret what youve said as you can zoom in on the photo?

Maybe it would be a good idea to indicate the ones still alive. Some members may be able to quiz you on features to help identify the plants. If they are herbaceous, we might have to wait to next year, I guess.

Youve grown a massive number of plants in your career Eric. I'm well impressed!