Author Topic: Dozens of the dratted things!  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Palustris

Dozens of the dratted things!
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »
As you know I have been sending my collection of plant photos to George for the Master Data Base. To that end I have been going through all my Folders. OK with the plants which a. have visible labels. b have names already, c. I recognise, but there are hundreds which I can put a genus to and hundreds I cannot even do that with. Now with Dial up it takes months to put photos on Photobucket (hyperbole there) and in any case my collection on there is getting rather large. Any suggestions as to how to get id's for these plants? I do have a very large library, but very often you need to know the name of the plant to id it! For example in the best pictured book of Clematis, they are featured by name. So though I know a particular one is a C. montana, if you look under that you get a picture of C. montana, the species, not a whole set of pics or even names of C, montana forms. It is the same for many other genus too. Very frustrating it is too!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Dozens of the dratted things!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:11:39 PM »
First, a few questions Eric.
RE: The Clematis montana photos which need variety names.
Are some of these living plants in your garden?
Are some taken elsewhere?

RE: The ones you CANT put a genus to:
I'd suggest making up a WPG project and putting them on the net

If theres 100's, then disc space may be an issue, so heres an idea.
IG Pro allows you to create and work with a second database.
Make up a second database specifically for your unknown plants (I can explain how to do that).
This can be offered to other IG Pro and FG users as a SWAP CD (I can explain how to do that as well).
To avoid expense on your part, heres another idea.
I plan to offer the Master Database on a regular basis. I could include a copy of your SWAP CD in the same package. Also (if you are agreeable) to new customers.
In addition to forum members, this would reach other IG, IG Pro and FG users who are not members.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:09:44 PM »
The same answer applies to many of the plants. They are a mixture of plants from my garden and ones from public gardens and ones from shows. The photographs are all mine own so no problems with copyright in that respect.
Making a WPG of them sounds the best way forward for the moment. There is no hurry (as far as I am concerned at least.) I am still processing a good number of ones I do know for you. I am not going to start on unknowns until I have been through all the named ones.Thanks for the suggestions.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »
I can imagine your frustration, Eric. Ive quite a lot of photos like that, dating back from probably 2001.
Some are forgettable, but theres lots of really nice ones!!! One fine "day" I hope to do what you are doing with yours. In some instances its just a memory thing, so with those there is at least some hope. Better than watching soaps on TV.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:21:18 PM »
Not as far back as that. I did not start taking pics of plants like the ones I sent until I got this camera 3 years ago.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »
Regarding the ID on Clematis Montana flowers.
This link may help, I photographed the National collection for the owners website, they are a bit slow in updating with more pictures I took this year. And our website address is incorrect on there too. :'(

http://www.clematismontana.co.uk/gallery_flowers-buds01.html

Malcolm
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:24:39 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »
Thanks. I also use the Hull University Clematis website too, that is very good.
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »
Thanks for the links folk! Its nice to see the forum is working  :)
Ive added them to the Master Database. If you happen to be a link collector, heres my tip -  I normally place them in the Genus Data field. (IG Pro, edit plant, get to GA100S36, click Genus - click edit for full screen text entry)

The Hull site is a starter for 10, loads of links with fascinating info about the Genus, and the noted growers. Thanks Eric - a great resource.

Ive clicked you link, Malcolm. What a massive project! I'd be really interested to hear how you went about that task. Do you have photos of the garden - vista photos? I'd love to see how they grow them.
Having made that contribution, I think the least they could do is keep your link up to date.

Heres another Clematis link:
http://www.helmsleywalledgarden.org.uk/
250 varieties of Clematis, but I note they refer to photographs on the Hull website.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:37:39 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
Do you have photos of the garden - vista photos? I'd love to see how they grow them.

Yes I do have a few photos of the garden George, and I guess TREES would be the order of the day for growing montanas. ;D

I will put a few pics on a web page, and give the url here, will save your webspace.

Here is the url  http://www.lynandmalc.co.uk/test_page.htm

Malcolm
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:36:48 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »
Wow! I'm glad I asked. Ive had a look, and that is really inspiring, Malcolm, and very timely.

Have a look at this photo:
http://www.ideasforgardens.com/forumfriends/aerialphoto.jpg
Ive cut the branches of alll those conifers at the top of the garden. They were planted at the time to give another couple of feet cover above the 7ft fence which runs between my garden and the 2 houses behind.
They were too much for me - much too vigorous, Besides, I decided I wanted to grow things against that fence. I couldnt do that when the trees were planted because that "lawn" at the top of the garden was the football pitch, and everything around it was in the line of fire!
Simon and I de-branched them mid winter last year. I'm still clearing away branches!
I left 6 to 7 ft high stumps (the main trunks) with the intention of growing either climbing roses or Clematis up them.
Incredibly, one rose which was planted against the fence long before the trees were planted was still hanging on it there, but only just. I cleared all the ground around it and I'm delighted to see it is pushing up nice healthy shoots from the base.
Its Rosa 'Paul's Scarlet' and as i recall, its a real good one - loads of flowers.

Having seen your photos, I think Clematis could be a good option, and Roses on the fence. Trouble is, those trunks are rather unsightly, so I'd like to select Clematis which produce lots of foliage close to the ground as possible, lots of flowers, and a prolonged flowering period. Recommendations and photos would be much appreciated. How many up one trunk? The trunks are about 3 to 4 ft from the fence
I'm not worried about them going bare in winter! They arent in view from the house.

As you can see Eric, your photos will be much appreciated!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
Always hard to get most Clematis to leaf and flower low down, it is not their natural habit of growth.
Another site http://britishclematis.org.uk/joining.htm
One way is to use two C. viticella, cut one to the ground in Feb as usual and let the other grow on a leg, that way you get a tall plant with growth all the way up.
Mind Evisons are in the process of producing new shorter growing clems say up to 9 feet max, not tried any though, they are out of our pocket.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:46:20 AM »
Thanks for that info Eric. I could also sow some annuals around the base. Do you think that would work? e.g. Nigella, Cornflower, Cosmos, Tagetes

To get this topic back on subject, please post a message with one or two of the plants you dont know the genus name, and see if we get a response. We all enjoy the plant ID questions.