Author Topic: The Manse, Glebe Rd, Dunmurry, Belfast  (Read 5047 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
The Manse, Glebe Rd, Dunmurry, Belfast
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
We visited a garden open on Saturday. It was the garden belonging to a Church manse, and the minister (now retired) is now in his 80th year.
A local gardening program broadcast an interview with the Reverend MacMillan on the Sat morning. That’s not my type of garden, I thought, I’m not going to like it.
Not so! My two sisters, Mary and I really enjoyed it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=18&gs_id=bh&xhr=t&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=604&q=the+manse+dunmurry&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48610676a29ad727:0x8e6478c9fa876d8e,The+Manse,+Glebe+Rd,+Dunmurry,+Belfast+BT17+0PN&gl=uk&ei=obnNT5Buq5fRBc_W5N4B&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

The garden is closest to the railway line in this map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=the+manse+dunmurry&hl=en&ll=54.551433,-6.006169&spn=0.000831,0.001725&hnear=The+Manse,+Glebe+Rd,+Dunmurry,+Belfast+BT17+0PN,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=19
The garden was planted with an abundance of Rhododendrons, Shrubs and Hostas, and there were numerous plants of interest to plant lovers :)
I'd describe it as a plantsmans garden.

I cant grow Hostas with success - they get devoured by slugs and look unsightly.
The Reverend Mac had the best Hostas Ive ever seen, with an impressive number of varieties.

I took lots of photos. At the end we got to chat with the Reverend Mac. I can tell you he is a very interesting man. Photos to follow of the occasion.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:26:38 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: The Manse, Glebe Rd, Dunmurry, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
I cant grow Hostas with success - they get devoured by slugs and look unsightly.
The Reverend Mac had the best Hostas Ive ever seen, with an impressive number of varieties.
We gave up on hostas too, years ago, for the same reason.

I took lots of photos. At the end we got to chat with the Reverend Mac. I can tell you he is a very interesting man. Photos to follow of the occasion.
I look forward to seeing them George.

Eric

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
We look forward to seeing your photos George.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »
I look forward to publishing them! Ive made promises to put them on my website :)