Author Topic: RHS Garden Hyde Hall - Dry Garden- Puzzle No. 1  (Read 6938 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
RHS Garden Hyde Hall - Dry Garden- Puzzle No. 1
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:00:42 PM »
I took approx 1000 photos on my recent trip to three RHS Gardens and Chelsea Flower Show.
In sorting them out, theres a few mysteries.

Heres the first puzzle posting. Many more to follow!

Heres a lovely plant for a dry wall.
I couldnt find a label.
Do you know what it is?

General view of plant

and a close up of the lovely foliage. Also, observe that little pink plant at the bottom right of the photo.
Its the subject of Hyde Hall Plants-Puzzle No 2

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:34:58 PM by ideasguy »

Tom

Re: RHS Garden Hyde Hall - Dry Garden- Puzzle No. 1
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:06:05 PM »
I suspect this might be an Artemisia but I don't know the species. Tom.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
Ive been exploring my other photos, and I think Ive got it this one Tom.
I took photos at Wisley and one just like this had a label indicating the Genus Tanacetum.

I then looked up the plant list for the Dry Garden at Hyde Hall and find they have only one plant in the genus listed:
Tanacetum argenteum subsp. canum 
Do you happen to know that plant?

Do you grow it Eric (Palustris)?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:22:17 PM by ideasguy »

Tom

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 05:47:28 PM »
I think you are spot on on this one. I found a picture of it at
http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-tanacetum-argenteum-2561.aspx
, a relative of our native tansy (tanacetum vulgare). I Don't know the one in the pic but is very nice.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:55:08 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:03:36 PM »
I edited the link in your posting Tom to make it work - Hope it meets your approval

I'm very fond of the Tanacetums which self seed in my garden. Theres a single, which isnt that great, but theres a very nice double.
Grows to about 60-70 cms It has self seeded around quite a bit and has been in my garden for years now.
More research to get the species  ::) vulgare???

Laurie has a new topic called Plant of the Moment in the Plants section on this forum. I'll post a photo there when I get one (a bit late this evening)
Its a good opportunity to remind members!!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »
Used to grow it, but not under that name and for the life of me I cannot remember what it used to be called to see it they have changed it since I killed it!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »
I understand that statement Eric!
The name changes of plants is really annoying, frustrating, confusing and... I could go on

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:07:26 AM »
Tanacetum haradjanii iis what springs to mind.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »
Going by the following web links, that plant looks VERY like the one in my photos.

I found this page:
http://www.sanmarcosgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?region_id=9&plant_id=1531&page=
Reading over the info I see:
Synonyms: [T. densum amanii, Hort., Chrysanthemum haradjanii]
So, according to them, its one and the same plant!!

But, BUT!!, BOTH plants are listed in the RHS Plant Finder, and no reference is made to synonyms.
Thus, going by the RHS authority, they are two distinct plants.

Confused? Theres more:
For Tanacetum haradjanii San Marcos Growers has:
Origin: Syria (Asia)
on the RHS Website:
Range: Syria, Turkey

Two different planets????

Having said all that, do you grow Tanacetum haradjanii, or have you ever tried it, or do you know anyone who grows it?
It would be interesting to know if it will come through our winters given suitable planting conditions.

Our US members may be interested to know that it is grown in the Water Wise demonstration garden at Covington Water District:
http://www.covingtonwater.com/conservation_outdoors_demo_garden.htm
Heres their plant list:
http://www.covingtonwater.com/pdf_documents/conservation/2008_Plant_List.pdf
Recognise the format?
Its done with Ideas Genie - Software for Plant Lovers, 2003 version!! They bought their copy at our booth at the Northwest Flower & Garden Show 2003:
http://www.ideasgenie.co.uk/boothphotos-index.html
Awww.... nostalgia...

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
George, we've been following all your postings on this topic you started but haven't chipped in with anything until now.

That's no small wonder as my head is spinning just reading about all the different names that have been discovered for the same plant/s.   ???  ???  It's a minefield out there.

We haven't been able to contribute anything definitive on any of these plants to help you out, so thought it would be wiser to keep a low profile (don't want to add to the confusion.)  :D

It makes interesting reading though.

There's a wealth of information out there in our member base;  novices, enthusiasts and experts alike.  So hopefully, if enough of them visit the Forum then it should make the job easier to get the right answers.  ;D

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:08:41 PM »
RE:
There's a wealth of information out there in our member base;  novices, enthusiasts and experts alike.

We all have one thing in common - we are all plant lovers and no matter what level, I'll be very surprised if ALL members don't pick up something from the contributions by other members. Theres nothing to beat a bit of research into a plant name, and the reviews from those who have actually grown a plant.

One thing I personally enjoy about researching plant names is the number of other plants I discover.
Very often we buy a nice plant, it does well in our garden, but we don't explore other plants in the same genus, or the range of cultivars available. For me, Eric's comments about Erodium is an example. Ive never explored that Genus. Now I see it includes some beauties. And look what we've discovered in the Tanacetums.

The same can be said about visiting gardens. Theres always someone growing a lovely plant you don't even know about.
The list grows continually, and who on this planet has the time to keep up to date with new plant introductions?
We're very lucky and privileged to have Paul Gooderham (NEWPLANTSGUY) as a member on this forum! Keep up to date with his web site!!
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/meredith/Blooms_Plants/
As an example there, look at Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Burgundy Bonnets'.
Ive a few Scabiosa varieties in my garden.  'Burgundy Bonnets' is an exciting colour break for me.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »
To get back to the Tanacetum, whatever it actually is. The plant I grew under the name T. haradjanii survived in our sandy garden as a nice small compact grey leafed shrublet. when we planted it here in our silt, it went wild, grew to a huge spreading plant and then died, probably of over eating. It is hardy enough in very well drained soil in full sun.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:53 AM »
Thanks for that info, Eric.
If Tanacetum haradjanii does that in rich soil, it would do likewise in my garden.

However, since we are regularly visited by my son with his young lad, Ive decided to make an alpine section in my garden on a site where I had planned to make a pond. Heres a pic:
http://www.ideasforgardens.com/gardenphotos/pic00203.html
There have been too many sad stories involving garden ponds!
Ive been very taken by the plant which is the subject of this topic. I'll buy one of whatever is readily available, Tanacetum argenteum subsp. canum  -OR- the one you know and have grown, Tanacetum haradjanii

Ive taken photos of the self sedeing Tanacetum I mentioned above. Will post a photo later