Author Topic: Backups are important  (Read 3753 times)

NightHawk

Backups are important
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:11:57 PM »
As most of you probably know, I recently had a hard disk failure and had to install a new hard drive.

I am 'usually' VERY meticulous, and as Kathy sometimes describes me PARANOID, about ensuring I have backups of all my essential files.

But, 'Murphys Law' came into action this time around and I discovered to my horror (and embarrassment) that I had not backed up my IG Pro database.  :-[

I'd done everything else, but as always happens, there's something that gets overlooked.

Fortunately, we have smallish gardens, so the plants I had entered were not into the 'thousands', which makes re-entering not that big a chore.  Phew!!!!

The lesson here though is, make sure you have backed up your database/s, especially if you do have thousands of plants in your garden.  The old adage of "it's better to be safe than sorry" is certainly a philosophy to adopt here.  Hard disk failures do happen, AT ANY TIME, even with new ones.

George has recently do some updates to the IG Pro modules, posted on the updates page - http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igprox/, which I have now installed.  I will get round to re-entering our plants into our database as soon as possible.

Please make sure you have backed up your database/s, should the worst happen.  You can backup onto CD, DVD, USB Flash Drive, whatever medium you prefer to use.  But do BACKUP.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 06:15:17 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Backups are important
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »
Wise advice!
I recommend a Flash drive. They are perfect for use with all the Genie software,and very reasonbly priced.
A 500 kb would be fine initially. Keep one on your keyring/briefcase, and do a backup on a second one and keep it "off-site"
Another advantage is, you can use the appropriate SWITCH program in your system to close your database on hard disc, and access the backup.