Author Topic: Another mystery plant  (Read 3599 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Another mystery plant
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:15:37 AM »
Can anyone help identify this plant?
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/pics/CIMG1707-web.jpg

Heres what I've been told about it:
Growing in a pot indoors, here in Ireland
It looks like this all year

Offline gardenexpert

Re: Another mystery plant
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:50:31 AM »
Hi

Looks like Oxalis Triangularis. The variety i grow has pink flowers and is treated as an herbaceous plant. Flowers from March to October requiring full sunlight and moist roots.

Regards

Michael

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
Yes, I agree with gardenexpert - it's definitely Oxalis triangularis.  I have it both indoors and outdoors.  Indoors I let it dry out over winter, then repot the bulbs and start it off again about March.  Outdoors it dies off over winter, but survives to come back again in spring in a well-drained, sheltered site.  It has pretty pale mauve flowers throughout the summer and autumn.  Mine has suffered badly with rust for the first time this year - probably due to the excessively wet weather.  >:(

Offline TinaW

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:36:54 PM »
I also think it's Oxalis triangularis syn. regnellii. To see photos go to Dave's Garden. Here's the link:  http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1241/

Tina

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 11:07:33 PM »
Thanks Michael, Chrissie and Tina.
I'm overwhelmed! Its great to see such a quick response to this posting, and to get so much good advice, and thanks for that useful link Tina.
With the exception of 1 neutral, it has all positive ratings on your Daves Garden site Tina, and seems to be a favourite with a number of the contributors. Do you grow it?
It seems to withstand the frost and snow of your hard winters, and your blistering summer temperatures.
Your "full sun" is a LOT more severe than ours in the UK.

Ive passed the info on to the owner of the plant, and Ive been promised a wee pick off the roots - which appear to be little bulbs.

Do you grow yours outdoors Michael?

Do you find it invasive Chrissie? Any photos on your website?