Author Topic: potted roses  (Read 3465 times)

Offline 3fren

potted roses
« on: January 27, 2007, 06:05:38 AM »
I am a city dweller.  I always drool over the lovely gardens photos posted and wish I have such green fingers.
So I bought two potted roses.... then come the heavy rain..and rain..for days...

I water during the raining season,  the leaves turned yellow.  The buds either drop or all the buds bloom prematurely.
If I stop watering, the plants wither.

Appreciate if the experts of roses growers give me some pointers.  I dont believe I don't have "green fingers".
I have the passion to turn my brown ones into green ..ha !

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: potted roses
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 09:52:10 AM »
To explain, Jessie (3fren) lives in Singapore. It will have be significant to anyone offering advice.

I'm a member of this Rose society:
http://www.rosemerald.co.uk/
The man who runs this web site is called Norman Beck. Norman is an International Rose Judge and a very good friend of mine. You can read about the Rose trials on his web site.
Norman and I had a brilliant project in 2005. I was asked to give a talk at the Rose Society, so I came up with this.
We visited a large number of the gardens of the Rose society members. I took more thn 100 photos at each location.
The talk took place in October. Norman and I gave a joint presentation.
I ran it as a slide show in Ideas Genie (anyone with IG can do that)
Unfortunately, we had so much material, that we didnt have time to give our full presentation, as members got so excited and asked questions during the show. Time allowance was only - 30 little minutes. Like that variety of roses, I could have rambled for 30 hours .

I will direct your question to him.

To pre-empt Normans first question, Jessie,  do you know what varieties of Roses you are growing?
Roses do best in their "design" conditions (e.g. hardiness zones) - where they were hybridised and trialled, prior to release. Norman can explain that!
If not getting the conditions they like best, they may huff and perform badly.
THAT might be a bone of contention! I know of one Rose grower in US who claims that their Roses are suitable for ALL states in US.

Next, heres a lady who has exactly the same set up as you.
Meet Maria from Italy.
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/pittiella/
I made up that web page on my web site:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net
I'm inviting members here to do their web page and add it here. More about that very soon!
I'll invite Maria to the forum, and she can tell you about caring for Roses in pots. Not as hot as in Singapore, but I'm sure you can exchange ideas.

Incidentally: I like Roses, but they dont like me. EVERY time I work with them, I get scratches.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:52:09 AM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 11:51:13 PM »
I'm a member of this Rose society:
http://www.rosemerald.co.uk/
The man who runs this web site is called Norman Beck. Norman is an International Rose Judge and a very good friend of mine. You can read about the Rose trials on his web site.
I will direct your question to him.

Norman has visited and has sent me an email with his recommendations
I have passed through Singapore a few times going to and from Australia and stayed over a couple of days about 5 years ago.  There were many lovely tropical flowers but I can't recall any roses.  It's around 30c there all year round (they are about 50 miles from the equator) always humid and they get plenty of rain.  Any rain that I saw came down like 'stair rods'.  There is no country in the World Federation (Roses) on the equator (India would be the nearest) so we will have to try and help ourselves.

Now in New Orleans which I visited en route to the Houston Convention, they grow their roses either in raised beds or in pots.  That's to keep the roots out of the waterlogged ground which is brought about by the thundery downpours that come in from the gulf.  They told us if they didn't do that, the roses would die. 

Back to our friend in Singapore.  I would suggest growing the roses in big pots and ensuring that they always have enough fertiliser.  With a lot of rain the fertiliser could get washed out of the compost and depending on its make-up, it may need replenishment of trace elements. It might be tempting to place the pots on saucers but this could lead to over watering trouble in that climate.  On the other hand the pots must be kept moist during dry periods as drying out will kill the roots.  I could visualise some lovely roses being grown in that climate under a glass roof but without sides.  I used to grow roses in the greenhouse and the temperature would have reached 100f in the summer but as long as the roots were kept moist, they just loved it! 

This person would need to check that the purchased roses have proper roots and are established in the pot.  As you can imagine, a poor root and they won't make it in that heat.  Next is the available fertiliser and that can be attended to with slow release compounds.  And water, enough but not too much.  This could be a real problem.  Finally, I have seen disease on roses everywhere I've been so in Singapore's humidity I am sure there is plenty there too.  Spray, spray, spray.  And if she can find well ventilated but bright cover for them in the wet season, so much the better.  Many people in Singapore live in apartments and she could be growing these roses on a balcony.  Even in that climate, they do need overhead light. 

I could go on and on but I think that's enough to try and root out where this person's problem's are. 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:45:06 PM »
Having studied Normans reply, I emailed him again to ask:

I have one question.
RE: I could visualise some lovely roses being grown in that climate under a glass roof but without sides.
Do you mean they would do better under glass, because they were sheltered from the heavy rain?

Heres Normans reply:
The roses.  Yes, some respite from the almost continuous downpour in the wet season would avoid waterlogging of the pots.  It would also give the growth and emerging flowers a chance to survive.  As you know, roses don't appreciate a prolonged wet spell even in this country.  In the tropics the stens would all be longer and softer.  "In need of care" you might say!  The emerging flowers would all be destroyed too.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
Thanks Normans/George, for your advise.

I do not know what variety.  will take a photo and post on the forum.

Had repotted into bigger pot, had two days of sun and new shoots are popping out !
Next, will try to coax for the buds !