Author Topic: Primulas  (Read 4205 times)

Offline mikesanders

Primulas
« on: March 17, 2006, 04:04:34 AM »
Can anyone please tell me why my primulas and polyanthus (primula vulgaris) flower before they form a stem.  For several years, the flowers have come from the centre of the leaves, reaching only a height of a centimetre or so.  This  happens with P. vulgaris, P. denticulata, P. vialli and P. candelabra.

PS to the Administrator - Is it possible for users to set up their own genus on the forum for topics such as this?

Mike Sanders

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Primulas
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 09:11:09 AM »
Hi Mike
A you know, I love ALL primulas. They are exquisite plants.

I have a number of what appears to be different varieties of Primula denticulata, acquired over the years.
I have observed a pattern, on plants in approximately the same region of my garden.
One blue variety does exactly as you have described. However, the flowers appear VERY early. Its in flower now for about 2 weeks, so beginning of March.
In a month or so, the other varieties in 3 other locations will be in bloom, on LONG 10in stems.
However, guess what... and this happens every year... the early bloomer will STILL be blooming, but now on long stems!

So question to you.. keep an eye out and see if that happens with your denticulas.
I havent noticed it in P. vulgaris. They are neat and tidy and flower on short stems here.

PS to the Administrator - Is it possible for users to set up their own genus on the forum for topics such as this?
Only people with special permissions can create "boards" on the forum. I suppose its a good idea in a way, as new boards need to be carefully considered before adding to the complexity of navigation.
However, ANYONE can click "Add Topic" within a board to post a message.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:56:29 PM by ideasguy »

Offline mikesanders

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:54:15 PM »
Yes - so far mine are running true to your comments.  It is only those plants in the blue/purple sprectrum which are flowering early, the others are obviously holding back for better weather!

I'll keep you posted on how long the stems develop as the season progresses.

Regards
Mike

Offline JeanV

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:51:06 AM »
In Bolton this happened if we got a warm spell then really cold weather (well really cold by UK standards below freezing <g>) As they all seem to start with flowers close to ground then shoot up, maybe this is a clue? Sp you could possibly stop it by protecting the flowers or eveb watering them? 
Jean 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 10:02:43 PM »
I actually quite like to see them bloom early, even if it is on short stems, and particularly because the one that blooms earliest in my garden is right outside the french windows where I work at my computer... my spring garden. Its a lure to get me out to look closer, brave the elements and get gardening!

Do you have any trouble growing the white denticulatas?
Mine seem to either die out, or huff and dont do as well as the mauve varieties.